Have you survived?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Have you survived?

Post by Stanley »

HAVE YOU SURVIVED?

I'm writing this at the end of November but if everything goes to plan it's now Boxing Day and you are all sat around surveying the chaos and wondering how long it will take to eat all that food! Today is Black Friday, a recent import from America which originated as being the day after their Thanksgiving. Somebody in the Cunning Wheeze Department thought it up to get people out shopping as soon as possible after the holiday. Walmart (Asda) brought it to us and it is now recognised as the busiest shopping day of the year. The retailers are bent on extracting money from your wallet and of course the emphasis is on Christmas.
Every trick in the book is being brought into play, I saw 'festive mince pies' on sale yesterday at half price. Can a mince pie be anything other than festive? Will they still be fresh at Christmas or are they destined to be eaten sooner than that. We are even bombarded with adverts that seek to convince us that no Christmas is complete without a new sofa or carpet and if we get in now we can have delivery before the day! Now I'm all for a thriving retail sector but do you ever get the feeling that they are over-egging the pudding?
Most of all I think of the many families out there who are struggling to survive on low incomes in a normal week. They and their children are bombarded with advertisements from every direction but know that they face a terrible dilemma, do they go into debt to try to give their children the sort of Christmas depicted in the adverts or keep spending down as much as possible. Think of the playground conversations about 'what I got for Christmas' and recognise how difficult this can be for the children.
I'm old enough to remember very difficult Christmases due to the war, not our poverty. These were easy to understand and no matter how wealthy, everyone was in the same boat. We always got one significant present and a stocking full of treats. But in those days a 'treat' was a two ounce bar of chocolate or an orange. Ernie Roberts once told me about one of the Slater family of mill owners who used to hand out oranges to children on Christmas Day. Would that be seen to be an adequate gift now?
So I know there are difficulties for some and I hope that the rest of us remembered this as we were having a good time. I note an appeal in the BET this week for donations to the local food banks, I hope they do well. I think it's a disgrace that in this day and age the food banks are a growing necessity, I note the recent reports of the high levels of child poverty and rage against inequality, it's all I can do.... Now, the big question is, how long is that Turkey going to last before it's finished.

Family Xmas forty years ago at Hey Farm.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Re: Have you survived?

Post by LizG »

We throw away far too much food these days. No-one knows what to do with left overs. I freeze all the Christmas leftovers so we're not overwhelmed with the same food day after day. I also send 'care packages' home with visitors on the day. My sister and I have packed up a nice Christmas lunch for Dad tomorrow which we will take to the hospital tomorrow where he will stay with Mum for the day.
Liz
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Today's Daily Express is warning of more retail panic because the big companies like John Lewis, M&S and many others have started their `Boxing Day sale' today! This re-definition of terms reminds me of my all-time favourite...Npower's 10-month year.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And 'Boxing Day Sales' that start on Xmas Day afternoon online.... Next thing will be the 'January Sales', no doubt before the end of December.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In our email this morning from M&S....`The Sale - starts online today'.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Have we survived? Not really, thanks to a multi faceted bacterial attack, Christmas was postponed at 8.30 this morning until we can face food again, even the most simple tasks come with bouts of pain and nausea. When the body tells you it wants a pee, it means right now, not in five minutes, and yes it hurts out of all proportion to the end result. These pains seem to come at random, right index finger, left frontal lobe, right ankle and left wrist simultaneously, bum, neck, back, ears, nothing escapes. The final straw last night was the small tot of Glayva sipped in an attempt to give warmth and comfort, it wasn't long before I was looking for "Arthur" and "Hewey"! This house in now the subject of a total exclusion ban. Tiz. Argos would not want us in there tomorrow.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote:And 'Boxing Day Sales' that start on Xmas Day afternoon online.... Next thing will be the 'January Sales', no doubt before the end of December.....
There'll be trouble at Tesco tomorrow if they don't have any hot cross buns in. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Peter.... Funnily enough my gut gave me pause for thought yesterday just as I was due to go down to Susan's, nothing serious and it soon passed. Perhaps my Berlin meat pie in 1955 is still protecting me!
As for the 'sales'.... when do they get to the point where profits are damaged? One suspects they are down now.

Me and my mates ready for our dinner.... Traditional Xmas dinner and I had some of everything!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

All good here. Reports today of shoppers 'sleeping out' from 4.00am for Boxing Day Sales and the retailers have made profits in the billions. Really?? And soon we will have the January Sales ...
I do wish people would calm down and count their blessings. Christmas is a great reminder for 'most of us'.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cath, some retailers are in the red most of the year and only go into the black when Christmas approaches, hence `Black Monday'.

Thomo, what on Earth has infected you, it sounds nasty with all that pain? Mrs Tiz is having a tricky Christmas with back pain. Before Christmas she'd had some twinges but then while I was out on Monday she decided to re-arrange the contents of the kitchen cupboards. Result? Severe pain and hardly able to walk. She's now got the extra danger of having to survive my cooking! But don't worry, I'm taking good care of her.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Mrs Thomo hurt her back a couple of weeks ago whilst folding some curtains for someone who was ill with flu. In all probability this was the cause of this recent attack, I can only imagine what a combination of bad back and flu must be like. Yesterday we cut the turkey joint in half, froze one piece and cooked the other, ergo solids yesterday were two turkey baps and 3 pigs in blankets each, and this took some getting down. Sleep over the past two nights has been just over an hour, and even my mid day tot tasted like cold tea. In early 1975 I had pneumonia in Singapore and that was something I would not wish to repeat, the symptoms of this are similar.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Take care you two, Sally and I have experience of full blown viral influenza from 1999, Started on the 17th December and ended with with our first solid food of scrambled eggs on the 3rd January 2000, not good and never forgotten. Do you both get the flu jab?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian is right about proper flu.... I leap at all the jabs they offer me, Flu, pneumonia and shingles......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, I've had `proper' influenza, as well as Salmonella and Campylobacter and they're all terrible. They also have the danger of causing side reactions, some of them long-lasting. I've mentioned before about how Campylobacter can trigger Guillan-Barre Syndrome which paralyses you slowly from the feet upwards in hours. Once it reaches your lungs you're dead. So be careful when handling and cooking chicken! It's disgraceful that the industry and retailers are still allowed to sell chicken which is mostly contaminated with Campylobacter. As for flu vaccination, every time you have the jab your resistance gets stronger even though the influenza strains can be different from year to year. Don't miss a year and start it as early as possible.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was lucky to be reared by a woman who was well versed in the technique of 'well cooked'. Whenever I hear these modern chefs extolling the virtues of pink or even blue meat I cringe. As for infections, Botulism isn't a bad contender for 'worst'! The state of my bowels over the last two days leads me to suspect that something attacked me on Xmas Day but as my army doctors in Hanover predicted, when everyone else is going down you'll just have loose stool! Lots to be said for surviving attacks and letting your immune system get tuned up but it can be a dangerous process....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's an interesting comparison of ebola with other diseases in this BBC web article. It helps to put things in perspective.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29953765
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Interesting stuff that is Tiz. Such places as the tropical and equatorial regions are ideal birth places for new and diverse forms of existing problems to develop and attach themselves to a carrier ie. Man. What then follows is often the result of what we would class as an immoral or illegal activity, I do not believe that a graphic description is required here. Another good comparison when looking at the ebola death figures at present is that of the loss of live due to animal intervention, snakebite being one of the highest, over 22,000 in India each year. It is also interesting to note that in places where there is a high annual death rate, the birth rate also exceeds that of other places, cause and effect perhaps! I am with Stanley and his Mum on the well cooked issue, I do not like undercooked meat of any kind. Working in France a while ago the team and I went to a "Les Routiers" in Secondigny, all opted for a steak. Very rare, rare, medium rare and well done were the options, I asked for extremely well done, within five minutes, all steaks were on the table except mine, this arrived 30 seconds later, it was a good size and about an inch thick, being a good well done colour, but only on the outside. Seeing that I had pushed it away, the waitress asking if there was something wrong, I told her that I would like it cooked all the way through "please"! the steak went back to the kitchen and I went to the toilet, This also served as the main thoroughfare twixt restaurant and kitchen, it wasn't long before my steak was on its way back and I was still in the loo, pointing percy at the porcelain. Ignoring the tirade of Gaelic comments as the girl passed behind me twice I returned to my seat and cut the steak in half, the outside was certainly darker, the rest was still blood red. It all began again. This time the Chef came out, I indicated politely an area near to the edge of the steak and told him that I would like it to be that colour throughout, he smacked his hand against his forehead and roared "Englaise Pompetre" or something similar. A full 10 minutes later he brought it back, at last it was cooked through. Accepting my gratitude and apologies for being awkward he reminded me of how great the French were when it came to food and most other things, I reminded him of Trafalgar and Waterloo, plus WWs 1 and 2. Christmas last year was not good due to a family problem and the theft of an animal on Christmas eve. This time it has been grim indeed, little sleep, less food than a normal Sunday dinner over the past 5 days, treats, drinks and goodies all untouched. It was akin to entering a black hole on Friday last, today we have made a painful but positive re entry, there is a pan of vegetable soup for tonight, the fight back has begun.
StoneRoad
Regular User

Post by StoneRoad »

Not my idea of a festive season this year !
Rushed my OH into hospital on the 22nd December, called & collected yesterday but will need to be returned during February for a "minor" operation.
Bah, humbug! :confused:
Saluton. Mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny thing writing articles for the BET. Occasionally one that you thought was trite and a bit of a page filler generates more feed back than you can poke a stick at..... Perhaps the key is food and bowel movements....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to say Mrs Tiz is on the mend and walking cautiously. She can't bear being confined to barracks, especially when the sun is shining outside.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Have I survived? Yes and apparently in pretty good nick!

Sorry for the multiple posts but yesterday I was a stroke victim in waiting, quite a relief to be let off the hook.
Ian
LizG

Post by LizG »

Very pleased to hear the good news Ian.
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Liz, I hope your situation resolves itself sooner rather than later as well, take care of yourself, it's very easy to run yourself ragged and then your no good to anyone.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and the image restored. That was a good example of a run of the mill article that triggered multiple replies.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped for the bowel and stomach content.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”