MY WORD, YOU DO LOOK QUEER!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It would appear that a particularly nasty stomach bug is going the rounds in Barlick. I fell foul of it last Friday and gave everyone a nasty shock by flaking out in the butcher's shop. The good news is that three days later I am on the road to recovery thanks perhaps to a good set of antibodies triggered in 1956 when I almost died from Botulism.
What struck me was that I was in the same boat as Barlickers throughout the ages. Apart from good advice there is virtually nothing modern medicine can do about some infections. Keeping warm, drinking plenty of water, eating small but regular nourishing meals and resting is all you can do and hopefully that wonderful ally, our body's natural defences will either overcome the attack or fail. If it does the latter you really are in trouble! Think of all the beef tea that has been administered as medicine over the ages! I have little doubt that what happened to me was a very common experience.
Then I thought about what was different today. The main difference I see is that modern society has the belief that doctors have a cure for everything. This has been bolstered by the tide of news about 'new' discoveries and drugs, many of which it has to be said are real breakthroughs, however there are some things like common viral infections which cannot be treated by a miracle drug, we still have to depend on our body's defences. If there is one area of public education that demands attention it is this, sometimes your doctor can't do anything to help beyond good sensible advice. We have seen the recent increase in demands on the NHS which stem from this inability to make a personal judgement and act on it.
We are luckier than our ancestors, we have the advantages of improved public hygiene, pure water, plenty of food and easily available advice. The message is clear, lead a moderate life, take exercise, eat healthy food and act sensibly when something unexpected hits you. In some cases this means a trip to the doctor but in many, it simply demands the application of old fashioned common sense and listening to what your body is telling you. If you feel tired, go to bed! Almost invariably the best course of action. If you don't feel hungry do nothing beyond eating enough for maintenance. Make sure you drink plenty of water and give your body the best chance possible. Above all, stay positive! One of the benefits of my current malaise is that I have had to revise my eating habits and after noticing that the waistband of my trousers felt loose, I stepped on the scales and found that for the first time in many years I weighed less than thirteen stone. So a consequence of a temporary discomfort is that I have done the best thing possible for my diabetes! Every cloud contains a silver lining.....

At least we don't have to cope with the Black Death!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MY WORD, YOU DO LOOK QUEER!

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored. As pertinent today as it was then! Perhaps even more so.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MY WORD, YOU DO LOOK QUEER!

Post by Stanley »

Still sensible advice..... (Eight years later it seems to be serving me well!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”