THE BARLICK BY-PASS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE BARLICK BY-PASS

Post by Stanley »

THE BARLICK BY-PASS

After the Great War one of the biggest changes to traffic in the area was the advent of motor vehicles. Prior to the war they had been a rarity but soon became more common, particularly with the sale of ex-War Department motor lorries. Local industry was quick to take up this opportunity, particularly the quarries and pressure on the local roads rapidly increased.
It became obvious that what was needed was a direct route from the town centre to the main Earby to Colne road at Kelbrook. On the 2nd of September 1922 the first sod was cut and the road eventually opened on the 25th October 1934. I have been told that one of the purposes of the government scheme to finance the road was to provide work for the unemployed and I know of one man, George Dillon, who migrated from London to the job and never left. When the road was finished he ended up working at West Marton Dairies for many years and lived with his wife in Salterforth.
The building of the road entailed two bridges, one over the canal and one over the railway line near Kelbrook. It was an immediate success. The quarries on Salterforth Drag no longer had to climb the steep slope to Higher Lane, it was easier to go down onto the 'New Road' and up the far gentler incline to Barlick. Communications between Earby and Kelbrook and Barlick were direct and much more efficient. It became even more useful when the railway was closed in the late 1950s. It took pressure off Higher Lane, there was now a much more direct route to Colne. It's worth remembering that the road from Kelbrook to Foulridge via New Hague had also been opened up, a much easier route than Skipton Old Road on the hillside.
In 1957/58 a new road was made from Coates to Gill Brow cutting out the tortuous route via Greenberfield Locks. This was extended into Thornton village in 1964/65.
Another improvement in the 1960s followed the closure of the railway. The large goods siding below Wellhouse Road was redundant so the opportunity was taken to drive a completely new road from Forester's Buildings to connect with the end of Fernbank Avenue, the continuation of which was of course the New Road to Kelbrook. Two cottages were lost from the end of Forester's Buildings but apart from that there was minimal alteration to the town.
So, by the end of the 1960s we had a far more rational and efficient road system. 'Manchester Road' was no longer the direct route to Lancashire but is still busy as Higher Lane is the most direct way to Barrowford and Nelson. The wonder of it is that it took so long to make the connection to Kelbrook. Very few things can be said to be a benefit from the Great War and the Depression that followed but I think we can agree that there was at least one silver lining in the cloud!

The diversion at Forester's Buildings. The two end cottages were lost.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Re: THE BARLICK BY-PASS

Post by Nolic »

As a youngster I watched the building of the "new road" around Coates. I could never understand why we still referred to Kelbrook Road as new road when there was a contemporary version. Of course its about common understanding and accepted mores moving down through the generations and just becoming " 'cos it is!". Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Modern School when I was there in the 60's still is to many people. Our school trips to Skipton baths used to get stuck in the roadworks over Ghyll brow when they were altering the road, bus started going round Earby and up through Thornton to save time.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The other major improvement that was effected at the same time as the completion of the new road into Thornton was the opening up of what was a sharp hairpin bend if you were turning down towards Earby at Thornton Manor. I remember that on the old layout, the overloaded Bedford West Marton bottle wagons had to get it just right in order to get round in one lock as the steering used to lock up when the chassis twisted on the sharp change of camber. Due to the weight, reversing was an option to be avoided as it played hell with the clutch. The new layout was a great improvement.
One thing that has faded from memory is that the large mound at the junction of the Marton Road next to Church Farm is composed of large boulders that had to be blasted out of the hillside to widen the road at that point. It was immediately adopted by the local rabbits as a ready made warren, it used to be alive with rabbits before it was grassed over. I'll bet some of them are still there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

When I was courting Sally at Carleton, the route home on my motorbike was back to Barlick via Thornton of course. I had to stick my foot out many a time for rabbits frozen in my headlight to stop them fetching me off on the right hand sweeper by the farm. I used to stop and pop them in the topbox on the bike, dad got many a present from my courting jaunts. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a rabbit hot spot then. I wonder if they are still in residence?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Barlick New Road under construction, there is a more detailed one that I have seen, I will try and find it.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Right here we go, I knew we had some more, all these from Barnoldswick and Barlickers Now and Then

BUDC plan for the project.

Better one of the build.

Building Park Bridge.

Looking the other way back to Salterforth from the railway bridge.

Kelbrook Road end before the roundabout was put in.

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That junction, pre roundabout, must have been horrendous. I remember the A56/A59 junction, at Elslack, before they put the roundabout in there, took forever to get out towards Skipton.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I once stopped to help at an RTA at that junction Kev onto the A59. Came across it coming home late one night on my motorbike. Vehicle had gone straight across the junction at speed and into the metal signpost support on the verge across. Driver was deceased and the passenger had partially gone through the windscreen not a pretty sight.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a good addition to the topic! If I've seen them before I had forgotten them.
I tried the link and can see why..... I'm not registered on Facebook and so am not allowed in....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The pre-roundabout junction nearly did for me. In my motorbike years I would always stop until ALL the main Skipton New Road traffic had gone. One day I watched a car approaching from Colne when about 30 yards from the junction put his indicators on to turn to Barlick. For some reason I held back and sure enough he carried straight on to Kelbrook. This doesn't happen now. The majority don't use indicators at junctions.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 15 May 2015, 06:49 I have been told that one of the purposes of the government scheme to finance the road was to provide work for the unemployed and I know of one man, George Dillon, who migrated from London to the job and never left. When the road was finished he ended up working at West Marton Dairies for many years and lived with his wife in Salterforth.
Always find something new when revisiting these topics. Both George's lads, Stuart, the eldest and George Mark went to Barlick Modern. George Mark or Mark George, (as he used to vary it to annoy the teachers) :smile: was in the same form as me, 1965 -70.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

George never lost his Cockney accent.....

I have one story about him that Colin Barritt told me. It was noticed that Georges cottage door and window frames were painted a very fetching shade of blue. Colin recognised it as soon as he saw it. It was the blue chlorine resistant paint that Dawson Washers supplied for painting the bottle washers at the dairy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have another one regarding paint. The lads decided to spruce the house up when the parents went on holiday, they painted the cottage on Cragg Row in bright pink stone paint!
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”