THE ANARCHY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE ANARCHY

Post by Stanley »

THE ANARCHY

It's funny how my mind makes connections at times. I was asked a question about Moor Close Farm the other day and my mind went to Northfield Minnesota where I read this item in the local paper; "The driver of the car containing five inebriated students that was stopped on Friday night was found to be sober.". Lovely and it gave a flavour of what was regarded as a notable police incident in the town. Why did this pop into my head?
I think it's true to say that we sleep easily in our beds at night in Barlick, just as they do in Northfield but this wasn't always the case and this is where Moor Close comes in. I remembered something I had read in Warner's History of Barnoldswick. I quote; "Petition of William Emmetson (probably Edmondson) re. Moor Close: Now, Sir Christopher Parker with William, Thomas and John Parker of Barnoldswick, by force, and armed with daggers, long pykes and staves, entered the said close on May 4th, finding Bartholomew Edmondson a young stripling, orator's son (the orator is the complainant), beat hurt and wounded him and [would] havve slayne him iff one Thomas Murgatroyde and Robert Bewes, servants of Robert Tempest, gent, had not reskewed him..... who did hurt and strike Robert Bewes and hadde almost slayne him'.
This happened a long time ago during what we call 'The Anarchy'. This was the time between 1135 and 1153 when Stephen the usurper of the throne and Matilda, probably the rightful heir, were at war over the succession. During this conflict law and order broke down across much of England as rivals fought over property rights as the normal courts did not function. The times were made worse by the fact that the Scots took advantage and raided down the country reaching Barlick. What makes it immediate to me is the the old Barlick names, their descendants are still living in the town.
There was another incident in 1501, during the reign of Henry VII. Richard Boothman, a tenant of Barnoldswick petitioned the Crown for redress following an incident where Henry Pudsey the Elder sent John Atkynson, Robert Sothorne, Thomas Welles, William Bracewell, Robert Watson and Walter Rymmin to break into Boothman's house while he was away. They beat his pregnant wife badly, dragging her out of the house by her hair and throwing her into a ditch where she lay for two days. Seven weeks after she died in childbirth and the Coroner decided it was because of the beating but couldn't prove who was responsible.
All this was a long time ago I know but when we look at a peaceful scene like Moor Close today we should remember that it wasn't always so. There have been times when nobody was safe in their beds, whether it was from raiding Scots or rapacious local landowners. We face troubled times at the moment but nothing like as bad as in the past. We must be grateful for small mercies!

Moor Close Farm as it is today.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE ANARCHY

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and I give you a thought that isn't in the article. Is it a coincidence that Sawley Abbey and the Cistercian attempt to found an abbey in Barlick happened during the anarchy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Deep Barlick history that shouldn't be forgotten!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Considerably more peaceful than its history. Our Jack keeps his bees up there now. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 07:28 'The Anarchy'. This was the time between 1135 and 1153 when Stephen the usurper of the throne and Matilda,
You live and learn. I'd never heard of it - The Anarchy or Stephen and Matilda. :smile:
PanBiker wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 11:20 Our Jack keeps his bees up there now.
Can you just plonk your hives down anywhere? I don't know the area of course but isn't it risky from the theft or vandalism point of view? .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 12:25 PanBiker wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:20 am
Our Jack keeps his bees up there now.

Can you just plonk your hives down anywhere? I don't know the area of course but isn't it risky from the theft or vandalism point of view? .
The answer to that regarding plonking them anywhere is no. It's pretty remote up there and there is always someone about as the farmhouse has been split into different dwellings. Some areas are also subject to local bye laws, in Barlick that is the council allotments, you cant put them there. I know the current owner who is another Jack and we asked when we knew our Jack was looking to set up. We have had taster honey from the hives and it has a definite heather taste from off the moor. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that - it'd be a brave man who tried to steal honey or a hive ! :smile:

Actually despite being largely unfussy about food - honey is one thing which I never eat. I just don't like the taste (with or without heather). I think it's a very 'U' food as Nancy Mitford would say. Very middle class - certainly in England. Am I right?

I think there is some skulduggery in the business. Cheap Chinese product maquerading as something it isn't, more Manuka honey than the number of manuka trees could support, and don't get me going about Royal Jelly'. :smile:

Here's more - Fake Honey

Still - none of it affects me - so carry on. . . .

PS - I don't doubt its anti bacterial properties. Going a bit off topic - but one thing seems to flow into another - sorry. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't forget that Osama Bin Laden got some of his funds from large-scale honey production and sale. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Deep Barlick history triggering contemporary comment. I told you it was important stuff....
David, THIS Wikipedia article might interest you. An exciting and little known time in our history....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 03:51 David,This Wikipedia article might interest you.
Indeed it does - but adds to my increasing sense of ignorance. There's a big gap in my history 'knowledge' from 1066 until the Tudors and Thomas Cromwell etc - and that's all gleaned from the TV. We did 19th century European history at school - Congress of Vienna etc - and I failed that. :smile:

There's simply too much 'history' . It takes a brain the size of Uncle Bob's to take it all in. I don't possess such.

However to quote Leonard Barras I'm "at peace with my inadequacies". :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You have to be David. Nobody knows it all. I was taught history at Lancaster by one world famous professor and when I got to know him I found that basically, much of his scholastic fame rested on his in depth knowledge of 15 minutes of the Battle of Naseby..... and the book he wrote about it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”