ROLLER SKATING

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ROLLER SKATING

Post by Stanley »

ROLLER SKATING

When you're researching local history it's relatively easy to get facts about things like buildings or people but social conditions and lifestyles can be a bit more difficult. The trick is to find something that gives a clear indication of incomes and leisure and today it's roller skating.
In 'A Way of Life Gone by' edited and compiled by Dorothy Carthy and Margaret Lancaster the Alhambra is mentioned as one of two theatres in the town and I think initially it was a cinema as well. (The other was the Palace Theatre in St James' Square which survived until the 1950s when it was converted to our first 'supermarket, Barmy Mick's) The Alhambra is described as an unimpressive building but with a good foyer and tip up seats. I'm not sure when it was built but it was a roller skating rink by 1915 and was very popular. It was burned down in a fire in April 1926. In his memoir 'This is my Life' by Jack Griffin he talks about the Alhambra in Butts being a roller skating rink in 1915 which is where I got that date.
This is a good clue for us as not only does it show that people had enough leisure time and income to afford the entrance fee but at least some of them would have their own skates as well. In addition, evidence that the town could support theatres points to there being musical societies and amateur dramatics because I know that not all performances were by professionals. There were at least three amateur orchestras in the town plus the brass band and instruments were an expensive item.
The 1926 fire that destroyed the Alhambra wasn't the end of roller skating in the town. In 2004 Walt Fisher told me that the space under the Majestic cinema that for many years was an indoor market and a ballroom was a roller skating rink at one time. He said that the passage behind the stage was always called Mug's Alley because learner skaters used it getting support from the walls. I don't know when it ceased to be used for this but suspect it might have been when WW2 broke out in 1939. Walt also told me that when the Majestic first opened it had a small gas engine in Ellis Street that powered one arc light for the projectors, it was on a trolley and could be moved between the two projectors. Later they installed a bigger engine and dynamo so that they could power lighting throughout the building.
I have one story and unfortunately can't remember the source. At one time there was a noted roller skater in Barlick who took part in skating marathons at the Queen's Hall , the Cooperative hall in Cooperative street, so the ballroom there must have been used as a rink as well. His fiancée moved to Luton and said she'd marry him if he roller skated down there. He did so and married her!
How viable would a roller skating rink be today?

The Alhambra after the fire in 1926.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Re: ROLLER SKATING

Post by Cathy »

I don't remember a Roller Skating venue . I know my Mother used to go to the Movies there. I do remember Pantomimes and I'm drawn to them being held in a building near Colne Rd. Would that have been Walmsgate area? In my mind I can see a high stone wall on the left, then heading up Colne Rd after watching a pantomime.
This was probably 1962/3.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure Cathy, could it have been the Palace?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cathy the pantomime venue would be the "New Ship", Independent Methodists Chapel, a magnificent imposing building. My dad mentioned the roller skating in the Majestic Ballroom. Just a point here Stanley, the ballroom was at the same level as the cinema not underneath as in your article. The main entrance was to the left at the top of the stairs with the cinema and pursers cabin booking office on the right. The cinema exited onto Ellis Street and there was an exit from the ballroom onto Fernlea Avenue.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes it's a lovely building. Looking at my 1968 street map of Barlick it shows a Town Hall on the corner of Church St and Manchester Rd, could the Panto's have been held there?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not big enough Cathy..... Ian is going to be right about the New Ship and the ballroom as well.

The New Ship and the Sunday School beyond.

Council offices on Jepp Hill.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks guys :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a pleasure Cathy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still good history!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Can some kind soul explain to me why the Methodist Chapel, which is a very fine building, is called "The New Ship" ?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Independent Methodists. Stanley has covered this in one of his articles which will be on the site. In a nutshell, 19thC I think, the Methodists in Barlick had a falling out session, split the local movement and vowed to launch a "New Ship" which they did. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”