FORTY STEPS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FORTY STEPS

Post by Stanley »

FORTY STEPS

It's always productive to go back to the old maps and interrogate them. I had something on my mind this morning and dragged the 1892 OS map up. The thing I noticed for the first time is that Blue Pot Lane, now Park Avenue is marked on this map as Back Lane, a name I always associate with what is now Philip Street. Perhaps the surveyors were confused? However, that wasn't the reason I was looking at the map in the first place. I want to have another look at our old favourite, Forty Steps.
We know that the lost track through Causeway Carr on the west, Longfield Lane and Blue Pot Lane was the route of a very ancient and almost certainly Bronze age trackway which is at least 3,000 years old. It was the route for the export of Irish Gold and eventually finished in the Baltic states. Later it became a packhorse track through Barlick on its way to the most northerly low level crossing of the Pennines at Kildwick. We also know that Gillians Beck is older than the track therefore there must have been a crossing of the beck at what we now call Ouzledale Mill which came later. The first thing that strikes me is the fact that even today, where Longfield Lane crosses the beck at a high level, there is still a steep slope down to it from both sides, hence the Forty Steps. So in the days before these improvements it must have been a very steep slope indeed to the beck and out of it. Remember that before the construction of Ouzledale dam Gillians Beck would be at a much lower level. It seems obvious that there would be a ford and in the natural course of things a bridge would be built over the beck long before the construction of the mill and its dam in the 17th century which gives us the present ‘waterfall’ and culvert under the path.
My question is, is the original crossing, whatever it was, still there under the path? My guess is that when the path was improved and the level raised and when the Ouzledale Dam was built and the short culvert installed which we have today, the original bridge would have been utilised. Not a lot of point demolishing it and building another one. If that is the case what we have under the path is the oldest bridged water crossing in Barlick, quite possibly at least 1500 years old and if so, one of the oldest bridges in England still in use today.
I think we can make a good case for the possibility, it all makes sense and as is so often the case when you are looking at local history you have to take the facts that you are sure of and draw conclusions in the absence of written evidence. If I am right we are still using a bridge every day that was built very early in our history.

The ‘waterfall’ on Forty steps.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: FORTY STEPS

Post by Marilyn »

My Mother ( born in Barlick, as I was) often mentioned Forty Steps. She always claimed there were only 39!
( I've never been there...to check it out...so cannot say one way or another, but she had a very sharp mind...and I often wonder)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Can you show me the location of Forty Steps on a modern day map please?
( I may be back, someday)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Depends how you count them Maz but it is possible to make it 39. I shall find a map for you.

Here you are, the 1892 map.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 07:13 My Mother ( born in Barlick, as I was) often mentioned Forty Steps. She always claimed there were only 39!
She was right, there are only 39. There may have been 40 originally when first installed and one lost, maybe at the bottom when paths have been remade?
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ha! She would be chuffed to hear that...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Actually if you count the two at the Bancroft end there are 41. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped, we are still using that ancient bridge!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Fascinating. 👍
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just a thought on Forty Steps. These steps lead up to Castle row so are we seeing a definition of the word Forty rather than a number?
Ref..
Following the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, the name Forty was first found in Britina. It was a name for a strong, brave, or hardy person as the name was originally derived from the Old French fort, which meant strong.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's perhaps a bit tenuous Ken. Far more likely to refer to the number. But, having said that, stranger things have happened!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. Still the only place I have seen this possibility recognised...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”