BLACK LISTED!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BLACK LISTED!

Post by Stanley »

BLACK LISTED!

My attention was grabbed this week by the news that the long standing dispute over the Black List run by the major building contractors had been resolved with those affected getting compensation. For many years it was an open secret that this was going on.
Such secrecy is not new, I first came across it in my research when I was looking at the textile unions. In this case it was they who were running the black list and not the employers. As far back as the late 19th century the unions had the power to refuse membership to anyone who was doing something they disapproved of, often indiscreet relationships between married men and young workers. If membership was withdrawn the offender could wave goodbye to his job. However, there was a way out.... At that time the Barlick unions ran under the aegis of the Yorkshire Federation and offenders soon found that if they were in trouble with the Lancashire unions all they had to do was cross the border into Yorkshire, Barlick was in the West Riding in those days, join the union and get work in Barlick. It is noticeable how many men are described in the census as living with their 'niece' and a young child. I have little doubt that in many cases this was an illicit relationship and most likely is the root of the well known saying “Are you married or do you live in Barlick?” Old Barlickers have told me that we were known as 'The land of the brush', 'living over the brush' was a euphemism for living in sin. There was another saying as well; “Everyone in Barlick who is married has their marriage lines in the window!' After 1920, as the industry contracted black listing continued but was directed mainly at the 'Knobsticks', people who crossed the border to blackleg at mills where the union workers were in dispute and striking and the manufacturers were glad to take anyone who would cross the picket lines. I have reports of union workers attacking such incomers on the road and forcing them to turn back.
These forms of activity annoyed the manufacturers because they were deprived of workers and what had previously been fairly low key local amalgamations of mill owners became much more aggressive and proactive. At first this was just protests about the intimidation of incomers but then they realised that as long as they kept it quiet, they could introduce their own sanctions by refusing to employ anyone suspected of being the ringleaders in any activity they disapproved of. This in turn led to the use of the Round Robin and I have an example of one from Long Ing Shed in October 1895 where the signatories informed their employer Edmondson that they were ceasing work in seven days. There is at least one name, 'Enoch Sockett' that is obviously a pseudonym but the others look genuine and were written down like this so that the ringleaders couldn't be easily identified. More next week.....

SCG/18/05/16

Long Ing Round Robin. October 9th 1895.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BLACK LISTED!

Post by Stanley »

Forgotten history and bad news for many....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Stanley's View”