TERRACED HOUSES

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TERRACED HOUSES

Post by Stanley »

TERRACED HOUSES

One of the nice things about showing strangers round our town, especially if they are from a different country, is that they can bring to our notice features that familiarity has made common place. I've lost count of the number of Americans who are knocked out by the fact that our houses are stone-built and, to them, seem to huddle together. One lady once told me that every house in the town would be a 'Landmark Property' in California, their equivalent of a historic monument. This came to mind during the first week in January when we had winds of over 100mph but apart from the odd slate blown off, no serious damage. The same weather in the South of England would have hit the headlines as a disaster. Of course there is a very good reason for the resilience of our houses, over the centuries we have worked out how to build houses that will stand our local conditions. I started to think about this and thought it might be a good idea to remind ourselves why we are so fortunate.
The first thing that came to mind was something I realised many years ago when I first started to look at Barlick. The more I learned the more I realised that the position of the town and its layout is no accident. If you go up onto Weets and look down on the town the first thing that strikes you is that on most days of the year, the wind is blowing onto your back and is much stronger than it felt down in the town centre. The bulk of the Weets acts as a windbreak sheltering us from the worst of the prevailing westerly winds. As this wind hits the east side of the hill it is forced upwards and this tends to make any rain it is carrying fall out on the moor before it gets to the town. I don't know the actual figures but the annual average rainfall on the far side of the hill will be more than it is in Barlick. The earliest settlers weren't daft, they knew the value of shelter from the wind.
As the town grew the dwellings tended to cluster together in groups. Barlick was a collection of these small settlements or 'folds' long before it got the name we call it today. Townhead and the bottom of Esp Lane was a small hamlet, Coates was a small village, there would be others and over time as they grew they clumped together into what we see as Barlick today. A question worth asking is why did they cluster in the first place? There was plenty of room, why not have individual farmsteads? I think one of the main reasons was mutual support. Remember that these could be violent times. In the 12th century the Cistercian monks from Fountains Abbey complained of Scots raiders and we have plenty of evidence that this was no exaggeration, it was like the wild west so it could be handy having neighbours if the wild men from the North arrived during the night. The houses also acted as weather protection for each other. This concept of breaking the wind before it hits an isolated house was well understood, look at the number of farms on the higher ground that have windbreak trees planted on the western side. Another strategy was orientation, look at any old building and you'll find it is invariably positioned so that it faces south and presents what is almost a blank wall to the prevailing wind.
As the town started to expand in the 17th century the rows of older houses in the centre were built. You can tell which they are, they all have grey stone slate roofs, Welsh Slate didn't reach Barlick until the railway came in the mid 19th century. The cheapest building material was the local stone which is very durable. Another way of reducing the cost was to build the cottages in rows which saved building one exterior wall. Some builders went even further and built two rows back to back which saved another wall. There are other advantages to this design, an ordinary mid-terrace house has only two exterior walls to lose heat through, a back to back has only one, making them easier to keep warm. The back to back has another advantage, it has only one door so there is no through draught, remember that doors didn't fit as well in those days and the wind could whistle in at the front and go straight through the house. Some older through houses like Hey Farm and the cottages on Crow Foot Row have no back doors for the same reason. These older terraces of cottages supported and sheltered each other.
When the town expanded again at the end of the 19th century the houses were larger and higher quality but were still built as stone terraces, the lessons of cost saving, durability and efficiency hadn't been forgotten, the main difference was that blue Welsh Slate was used as this was good roofing material and lighter than stone so roof timbers didn't need to be as heavy. The general rule is that any house with a grey slate roof was built before about 1880, the ones with blue slate came after.
So, we ended up with our typical Barlick townscape of terraces of stone houses and cottages huddled together against the weather and keeping as warm as possible. The high quality of the local stone means that it is as good now as the day it was quarried. Indeed, it may be better because once exposed to the air good stone tends to harden and improve. The only occasional problems stem from settlement of foundations and in some of the older houses a gable end might have to be rebuilt. They have served us well and will continue to do so for many years to come.
After 1920 very few houses were needed and apart from some detached large houses nothing was built until the modern building boom after WW2 when we got the first council housing and later the speculative building. These are all on the outskirts of the original town and it remains to be seen whether they will be a long-lived as the older stone houses, I know which I prefer!
Next time you are walking through the town take note of the buildings and look at them with a fresh eye. Try to work out which were built as cottages and then converted to shops. Admire the rows of big solid houses built in terraces which are still very desirable homes. Our ancestors remembered the lessons of history and built well. They gave us a legacy of solid property that we sometimes lose sight of but which strikes visitors immediately. There is more to them than meets the eye!

Rainhall Road. The shops on the left were all cottages originally.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: TERRACED HOUSES

Post by Whyperion »

Although the house is nice and dry , the connected outbuildings are seriously damp , not a large problem when originally one part was the coal store, another the outside WC, but both seem to be below (up to 5 inches ) the level of the outside ground - the main damp/mould though is on the adjoining party wall to next door's rear extention.

Being stone built would these have had a slate damp-proof course ? The internal walls have been part plastered , I am hoping I can remove the plaster and leave as bare stonework to improve breathing , I only intend using the buildings as storage - I would use a different solution if extending Kitchen/Utility room - but I would like them to be dry.

I also have a small concern in one of the former commercial buildings in town where again the the build up of the road surface causing part of the building to be part below ground level is causing a significant damp problem so that part cannot be used for long term storage [ the building has a few other problems but a bit of roof repairs should sort that out ] , has the damp problem got worse since the road surfaces were ashphalted - would the setts and other stone finishes have caused a different run off and drainage of water ?
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Years ago I was fitting a few Velux windows to new build houses in Harlow - Essex, I asked the local Roofer that was on site if he was going to fit Coping Stones to the new roofs, he looked at me strange and said "What's a Coping Stone" I told him large slabs on the edge of the roof to keep the slates held down when it's windy, he was flabbergasted, he'd never heard of them or ever come across any building that had them.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whippy, during my time with old buildings I learned a bit about damp. Two things that strike me about your post, the only method of preventing damp wicking up into rubble filled stone walls is to install a reverse polarity circuit, injection is useless. As for rooms below ground level, the only way I have ever found to dry them out is full asphalt or concrete tanking to above ground level. Once you're below the water table (and this can vary locally) there is no other defence in my experience. We once did a test in the cellar at Ellenroad. I got the lads to drill a half inch hole right through the wall and water ran in just like a tap.
Doc, that illustrates my point nicely about the experience that went into house-building in our area. No need for coping stones with grey slate roofs although they were often fitted on old buildings, look at Hey Farm for an example. When blue Welsh slate came in after the railways the builders soon realised that on gable ends it was a good idea to put some weight on the slates because unlike tiles, you can point them up at the ends. Most tiled roofs have the end tiles bedded in compo to make the roof end monolithic. Terraces roofed with smaller sizes of slate were pretty resistant to wind damage but I remember when I was living at Bark Lane in Addingham watching the large blue slates that had been used on the extension doing a sort of Mexican Wave as the occasional stronger gust hit them. They were very close to being ripped off. They survived and I never told Mary whose house it was. Didn't seem much point alarming her!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Seeing as both buildings troublesome areas are both half way up hills , in this area I dont think the water table would be the cause of water to that extent (no chalk/clay boundaries of significance ) , quite a few adjoining and opposite properties have a chemical DPC , which should work due to the chemical changes with H20, dependent on the wall finish , which I think in both cases is single stone with a coarse mortar, as I am not fond of unnecessary chemicals I might try to dig a soakaway channel with a zinc finish grating over a half round pipe with outlet into the surface drains a bit further down the hill, If I can get through the stone flags that both are floored with.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A couple of interesting points about the building techniques of terraces passed on to me by my dad who was in the building trade all his life after coming home from war service.

First is one that you can see examples of on many terraced rows and only have to keep your eyes open to spot. If you look along the ridge line of many terraced rows you may well see a step in the roof level, many examples are roughly in the centre of rows and the effect tends to be more apparent on rows built on slopes. This was due to the practice of the teams of builders working simultaneously from each end of the row that they were building. This was common practice in order to maximise the workforce. Faster to build the row but more subject to error in the alignment over the length of the row. Some examples are quite prominent with maybe a three or foot difference in the height manifesting itself as a mini gable, I have seen one example with a big enough step to have a window in the end of the highest step.

The next one down to another common practice is one you cant see unless you have stripped the walls back down to the plaster and only visible if the plaster is still original. Not apparent in all rooms but certainly apparent in the first house we bought on the internal gable wall. I noticed when we stripped all the paper off that there appeared to be vertical strips of infilling in the plaster in the corners of the room. I asked my dad why and he said that this was down to one of the methods used to "speed coat" the internal walls. More often on larger expanses without windows such as many gable walls. Sometimes you can also see another vertical infill in the centre of the wall as well. Vertical batons were fastened to the walls in the corners of the wall to be plastered and also in the middle if a larger expanse. So in a 12ft or 13ft room you would have three vertical batons, one in each corner and one in the middle. An oversize float would then be constructed maybe using tongued and grooved floor timbers fastened together with batons on the back and then another stringer across the back to act as a handle. The finished float would be roughly the size of a door. Trestles and planks were set up to a height about half way up the wall. The float was held against the two batons and propped at about 45 degrees forming a kind of hopper and then loaded with the plaster mix. The float was then shoved up the wall by two or three blokes at floor level who would push it up as far as they could and then pass it to the team halfway up the wall on the trestles and planks who would raise it to the top or as near as they could get. 90 percent of the plaster was now on the wall in a two step action. The float was removed and would be quickly fished of by hand by a couple of blokes in the normal manner. When the plaster was set the batons were removed and the corners filled in. Quite often the infill's are a slightly different colour to the rest of the wall as they would be filled from a different mix maybe days later. The plaster mixes used often had horsehair and other stuff mixed in to make the plaster mix go further. My house at York Street had horsehair, paper and fag ends mixed in on the internal gable wall.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Most striking innovation I ever saw for plastering was when Andy Platt did my ceilings using aluminium leg extensions like complicated stilts. Saved scaffolding the rooms and he was one of the first to use them. He could put in cheaper quotes for big plastering jobs and the legs soon paid for themselves.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Another interesting bit of Barlick's history :)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

All interesting stuff. We're having the Roman tiles replaced on a roof and the new ones at the edge of the gable end are `clipped verges' - tiles that curl around through 90 degrees and lap over the gable. Does away with all the mortar that's usually needed to seal the ends from the weather. The storms at Christmas created such strong winds that they took out some of the mortar on the old gable end roof tiles on the west facing side of the house. It looked as if you'd machine-gunned the edge and the bits were strewn over the patio!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what localised wind eddies can do Tiz. Think of what a chimney has to withstand. It's always the edge of a structure that fails first, that's why chimney heads are built with massive copings or made with iron castings to withstand the wind and weather. If the head is in one piece, the rest of the stack is OK until general deterioration or lack of maintenance weakens it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just remembered some pics of Grandma's house that Marilyn took (Back Colne rd). Grandma's house and next door have been knocked into one, in one of the picks you can see to the inside and it shows a wall being about 12inches thick, could even be 18inches.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite possible in older houses Cathy especially if there was a flue built in for a fireplace.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Re-reading Stanley's reply to one of my earlier comments , thanks and agreed that would be a way forward , I am not longer involved with either building , both having been sold ,one apparently to a relative of the estate agent's who is a builder and decorator who was going to use if for storage of materials, good luck to him.

Had forgotten one of the family properties ( Brick Built Semi c1928), which now needs sorting following the funeral. The Ground floor ( or is it basement ) is part below ground , instead of ashphalt or platon finishing to the sides of the brickwork, could I more cheaply just add a second wall of concrete blocks separated with foil face mineral wool from the brick work - this would reduce the internal dimensions though. Also at full basement level (coal hole and cool pantry area ) that will need dealing with to create habitable rooms. Further problem is that all 4 rooms have restricted height , I would probably need to dig out some 6in to be comfortable, but dont think 1920s foundations are normally that deep. Final problem - so far - is I think the ceiling boards are asbestos based and are starting to fall down, it wont be easy to carefully check.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

[quote="Whyperion"Further problem is that all 4 rooms have restricted height , I would probably need to dig out some 6in to be comfortable../quote]
Many old cottages in our village were condemned and demolished in the 1950s. The inspectors came round and made their decision mainly on the simple measurement of the ceiling height - too low, then condemn the house. Most of the cottages had packed earth floors so some of the owners tricked the inspectors by digging out the floor to a greater depth. It turned out to be less sensible when the next heavy rains came!

If a room goes below ground level you can't rely just on more brick/blockwork and insulation, you'll need serious damp-proofing to be sure of a dry room. Don't forget the hydrostatic pressure of the water in the earth outside the walls - a couple of feet is enough to have water squirting out of any punctures, as Stanley witnessed. It's not only liquid water but water vapour that can cause problems too. Protecting the inside of a wall is more difficult than the outside because the water pressure is trying to push the inside covering off the wall.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is only one practical answer to that Tiz in my experience. Full asphalt or concrete tanking to a high standard. Your water table down there must be very close to the surface.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's above the surface at present!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.... Still full of useful information. (And a rare post from Doc!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”