LETCLIFFE TANK

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LETCLIFFE TANK

Post by Stanley »

THE LETCLIFFE TANK

Anyone who has followed my articles will know that there are certain items of Barlick lore that crop up every now and again as I pursue them through my reading and the archives. One of them is the Letcliffe Tank. For anyone who doesn’t know about this, round about the end of the First World War, the government presented Barlick with one of the first Tanks and it was brought in by rail and driven up to Letcliffe Park where it stood on a plinth for many years. I haven’t yet got to the bottom of this story but recently I found out more about it.
We need a bit of explanation here for the younger readers. Everyone nowadays knows about tanks, they have seen them in films and newsreels. Who can forget the image of the student in Tienamin Square defying a tank during the riots? Many people don’t realise that they were a British invention designed to break the dreadful stalemate on the Western Front in the First World War. Caterpillar tracks were well known before the war, the Holt Company in California were building large agricultural tractors equipped with them and the American Army was looking at using them for towing large field guns long before they entered the war.
It was decided to build armoured pill boxes and mount them on caterpillar tracks so they could move, a sort of mobile strongpoint. William Foster and Company at Lincoln who built steam traction engines were given an order and because it was secret they described them as ‘tanks’ and this is how they got their name. They built two versions, the ‘male’ one had three small six-pounder field guns, the ‘female’ had machine guns. Most historians agree that the War Office completely missed out on the fact that a new weapon made possible a new kind of warfare and they used them in dribs and drabs as a ‘mobile trench’.
On the 15th September 1916 tanks went into action for the first time on the Somme. Many officers thought a great chance had been wasted and several papers were written which advocated using tanks in great numbers to break the line and create a ‘mobile war’. It is almost certain that after the war these opinions were known in Germany and perhaps played a part in the development of the tactics of ‘Blitzkrieg’ (‘Lightning War’) which was so successful in the Second World War.
Apart from the death and destruction involved, wars cost money and one of the government’s tasks was to raise as much money as it could from the public. One of the ways this was done in both World Wars was by War Savings. Ordinary people invested money in savings which would be used to pay for the war and would be repaid after the war was over. The government realised that the tanks had captured the public’s imagination and sent tanks round the country as ‘Tank Banks’. A tank would arrive in a city, park in the main square and accept contributions towards War Savings. At the end of 1916 with the National Debt approaching £6billion this was essential war service.
At the end of the war, the Army Council had 265 battered tanks on its hands which had been brought home from France. They gave these hulks to the National War Savings Committee for presentation to towns of over 10,000 inhabitants who had made conspicuous contributions to War Savings. Barlick must have been one of these towns and it was part of this gesture that resulted in the tank on Letcliffe.
However, for a historian, there is a sting in the tail. When the tanks were finally installed in their final resting place, the mechanics who had brought them were instructed to remove ‘a portion of the mechanism by which the tanks are driven and also the wedges of the guns’. Why bother? Did they think someone might use them?
Incredible though it may seem, the answer to these questions is yes! 1919 was the year of the Russian Revolution and the ‘Red Menace’ was seen as a real threat. In January 1919, two tanks were sent to Glasgow to help celebrate Victory Week. At the same time there was a report in the Glasgow Herald that Councillor Emmanuel Shinwell, later to be a Cabinet Minister in the Second World War, had addressed a meeting of the Glasgow Trades and Labour Council and called for a general strike to take place on the 27th January to support their claim for a forty hour week. On the 29th there was a mass procession in the city and ‘Red Clydeside’ on the march was perceived as a threat.
By the 3rd of February troops had been moved in, Shinwell and his fellow ‘conspirators’ were under arrest and on the 4th, a squadron of tanks was moved into the cattle market on Gallowgate ready for use against the workers if needed. They were used again during the National Strike in 1926. Shades of Tienamin Square! As far as I can see, we were the first to see tanks as a means of controlling civil unrest. Would the lads in Barlick have used the Letcliffe Tank against the millowners? I doubt it somehow but when you look at what was happening at the time you can understand why the government thought it a wise precaution to disable Barlick’s tank!
If you want to learn more about this subject I can recommend Patrick Wright’s wonderful book called ‘TANK’ which is where I gained my latest clues about the Letcliffe Tank.

SCG/12 August 2002
964 words.

30 ton World War One tank like the one that was in Letcliffe Park.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
TheProf

Re: LETCLIFFE TANK

Post by TheProf »

I remember my late father telling me that there was one in Queens Park in Bolton, but that it was taken away for scrap during WW2. The engine for the first tank was designed by Harry,(later Sir Harry), Ricardo. He later wrote the book 'The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine'. Ricardo Engineering are still designing engines today. He wasn't impressed that the tank designers mounted his engine in the Mk 1's so that the starting handle had to be inserted and operated from outside.

Crews for the tanks in WW1 wore strange leather and chain main masks with goggles, very sinister looking; they were to protect their faces and eyes from lead spray that happened when a bullet struck a seam in the plating, and from red hot chips of metal which often spalled off, (is that the right phrase?), when a bullet hit the plate square on.

Mike
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mike, There were many of the tanks in public spaces. If a town reached a certain level of war savings they got one. You're right about the dangers from metal spalling off when the plate was hit from the outside. The HESH ammunition we had for the later recoil-less guns like the BAT 150 used this stuff. The idea was that when it hit the tank the charge squashed onto the surface before igniting (Hence the name, High Explosive Squash Head). On thick plate like the turret the explosion vibrated the metal and caused a red hot scab to fly off the inside and this brewed the tank up. We didn't like it because unlike the old penetrating rounds for the 17pdr it had a very high trajectory and was harder to get a hit because funnily enough they never gave us range-finders!

Here's a picture of Park Mills at Royton taken in about 1930. If you look carefully you'll see a WW1 tank in the playing fields.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

TheProf

Post by TheProf »

Wonderful picture, Stanley; thanks.
Poor you with those *BAT guns; first round you fired made your position very clear to the enemy too. I didn't know about the lack of range finder - that must have been why they put the spotting rifle on the later models.

Looks like Blackburn got a tank too - I was looking for a Bolton picture, but had no luck
Picture courtesy of the CP Collection. Linked from: Blackburn Past website
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One thing I noted about the savings tanks was that whilst they were delivered under their own power, before leaving the engine and weapons were disabled. I often wondered whether this was to stop the lads using them in a revolution!
Here's a pic of tanks in the cattle Market on Gallowgate in Glasgow ready to be used against Manny Shinwell and the 'Red Clydeside' strikers in 1919. They were marching for a 40 hour week but the government were scared to death of a Russia style revolution.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

LETCLIFFE TANK UPDATE

29/01/14

I recently had an enquiry about the tank in Letcliffe Park from a man in Lewes. I sent him what I had and here's part of his response received yesterday. He is researching all the 'Tank Banks'.

“The tank carries its recognition number 144 which was for use on training exercises. It is a 'Male' and only a few of the gift tanks were male, most were the more numerous Female version, the Mark IV version. It's possible that the delivery date can be determined. The government, to save on transportation cost, would occasionally ship tanks destined for the same area on the same train, two or three at a time. The tanks delivered to Nelson and Colne arrived in late October and early may 1919. It's possible that your tank was delivered at the same time as one of these. It would be good if a date could be obtained from the Craven Herald.”

Wendy, if you have time, any chance of a furtle in the CH archive?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and the images restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think we should put these images up:

Delivery day

In location

Dismantling in the 30's

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again..... 21 years since I wrote it..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”