BRACEWELL 02

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BRACEWELL 02

Post by Stanley »

BRACEWELL VILLAGE 2

We left Bracewell in the hands of Thomas Weddell in 1717 and I went out looking for more information about him. I'm afraid it's thin on the ground. What I did discover was that he had another connection with the Tempests. In 1267 Roger de Tempest of Bracewell acquired the Lordship of the manor of Waddington and built Waddow Hall. Following Richard Tempest's death in debtor's prison in 1657, the land and buildings of the Waddow estate were acquired by Christopher Wilkinson, an out-bailiff and Member of Parliament for Clitheroe. Wilkinson bequeathed the Waddow estate to a Weddell of Waddington and the Weddell family kept it from 1673 until 1778 when Thomas Weddell bequeathed them to Sir John Ramsden.
Waddow doesn't interest us here but what we learn from this is that the Weddell family came from Waddington and Thomas Weddell died in 1778 so this is when the next owner of the Bracewell Estate took over. I have no direct evidence for the next owner but I do know that in 1780, Thomas Lister of Gisburn who later became Lord Ribblesdale (the title was created on 26 October 1797), bought an isolated house and lands at Malham Tarn. Again, Malham doesn't interest us but it indicates that Thomas was buying land at the time and it seems to be a fair bet that he took over Bracewell Estate after the death of Thomas Weddell. Thomas Lister, the third baronet, died in 1876. I have a reference which suggests that the estate was sold some time prior to 1869 because this is the date when the new owner, James Turner Hopwood, demolished the old hall and built the Sottish Baronial Pile which survived until the 1950s, at the same time rebuilding the Home Farm and renaming it Hopwood House.
Although Hopwood was a partner in the music publishing house of Hopwood Crew of London, the family wealth came originally from cotton manufacturing in Blackburn where the family owned the Nova Scotia Mills, a large textile manufacturing complex. He never went into the family firm, his bent was towards music. One of his main interests was the baroque organ and in 1868 he ordered a large three-manual organ of forty-four stops from Cavaille-Coll of Paris, one of the leading continental makers. In April 1870, this organ, with a French Gothic case designed by the architect Simil, was delivered to Bracewell, where it was erected and voiced (the process of fine tuning tone and pitch) by Felix Reinberg, one of Cavaille-Coll's most trusted foremen and voicers. The Franco-Prussian war (19 July 1870 – 10 May 1871) broke out while Reinberg was working at Bracewell and no doubt he thought himself lucky to escape the Siege of Paris! The organ was inaugurated on 7 November 1870, the great occasion being described by Hopwood in a letter to Cavaille-Coll dated 10 February 1871. The organ was played by William Spark, who is said to have given a whole series of subsequent recitals at the hall. There is a myth that Queen Victoria attended this recital but I am reliably informed that she didn't. In 1874 Hopwood commissioned Cavaille-Coll to move the organ to his new residence, Ketton Hall, Rutland, and three more stops were added to the pedal. In 1926 the organ was dismantled and rebuilt in the Parr Hall, Warrington, where it remains to this day.
I have a copy of the sale document of 1874/75 which contains a full description of the hall and estate and Hopwood had spared no expense in his rebuild. Here's an extract from the description:
“With a capital, stone built Gothic Mansion containing an elegant suite of reception rooms with parqueterie [sic] floors and pitch pine fittings and including a fine baronial hall, or music and ballroom; numerous principal and secondary bed and dressing rooms, night and day nurseries, two bath rooms; servant’s apartments; convenient domestic offices, good cellarage, laundries and a handsome conservatory. It occupies an elevated and commanding position with southern aspect overlooking well arranged pleasure grounds and an ornamental sheet of water. The estate consists altogether of rich old pastures, well watered and covering an area of 1,596 acres divided into eleven compact farms with good homesteads in the occupation of a highly respectable class of tenants at moderate rents, amounting, with the small estimated rental of the mansion, sporting, and lands in hand to upwards of £3,720 per annum. Free from all outgoings except £6-7s-4d per annum. Together with the manor of Bracewell, the advowson and next presentation to the vicarage of Bracewell.”
There is much more in the sale document and if you are interested you can find it under 'Rare Texts' on the Oneguyfrombarlick website. Like all large estates many of the notable families of the district get a mention in the recitations of the various titles. Roundells of Gledstone, the Listers and many other families get a mention usually through previous ownership of lands bought in by the estate, many of them when Hopwood became owner and was evidently tidying up and consolidating his holdings. Plenty of scope in there for more detailed research if you're interested.
We can get a good indication of Hopwood's standards even though the hall has gone. Hopwood Farm is built to a very high standard and I think that the present house behind the church is partially a remnant of the original build. He left the remains of King Henry's Parlour as it was using it as a barn for the farm. If you examine the building carefully there are still some indications of great age in the foundations and the surviving tracery of the 14th/15th century window. The original drive into the hall survives next to the church and the last time I saw it the wrought iron gate was still there but in very bad condition.
Hopwood was in residence for less than ten years but he certainly left his mark when the estate was sold after he left. I have no firm evidence but I think that the new owner of the estate was a Mr Riley of Richmond and that shortly afterwards the hall was rented for use as a private school for boys for many years. This school was so successful that they had to move out to bigger premises.
This is a good place to end. The hall was to have another lease of life and we'll dig into that when I return next week.

Hopwood's Scottish Baronial rebuild of the old hall when it was used as a country club.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BRACEWELL 02

Post by Wendyf »

I did a quick search for Bracewell in the on-line newspaper databases and came up with a few bits of information that might be of interest.
The London Gazette of June 23rd 1716 has a sale notice for the Bracewell Estate -"late of the estate of Christopher Wilkinson Esq." being sold by decree of Chancery.

The York Herald of 1801 shows a Game Duty Certificate being granted to John Cockshott for the manor of Bracewell. Following years show Thomas Cockshott Esq., appointed by Lord Grantham, being granted a Gentleman's Game Certificate for Bracewell.
In February 1815 the Rev.W.A.Wasney was instituted by His Grace the Archbishop of York to the Vicarage of Bracewell presented by Lord Grantham.
The Lancaster Gazette of 27th January 1816 reports the death of Thomas Cockshott Esq. of Bracewell Hall on 19th January 1816.

I didn't have time to look any further, but it looks like Lord Grantham could have been the owner following William Weddell.

I have missed a vital piece out....
St James Chronicle December 23rd 1788
William Weddell Esq. has been pleased to present the Rev. Mr Robinson M.A. Master of the Grammar School in Ripon to the Vicarage of Bracewell near Gisburn Park.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Wendy, straight into the index! I have come across Cockshott as Trustee for the William Bracewell of Coates estate, he is mentioned in the Bracewell Story. I think he would be a tenant and I never made the leap to assuming he was tenant of the estate or the hall because I had no evidence. I seem to remember re-posting Bracewell's will in research notes and it was there that I got the evidence of him being trustee.
I've added the info to William Bracewell's will. One more snippet that is pertinent. The bridge over the canal next to the marina is called Cockshott Bridge so it looks as though he owned lands there when the canal was built c.1800 as the bridges were usually named after the farm of the landowner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

In the Leeds Mercury August 30th 1817
Thomas Cockshott's Estates in Barnoldswick & Salterforth to be sold by his Executors on 15th September 1817.
The Barnoldswick Park & New Laithe Estate with a mansion house and a farm house making two farms, occupied by Henry Dean & Samuel Windle.
The Hey Estate adjoining the above (separated by the canal?)
A pasture called Swansea Carr and 2 pieces or parcels of waste called Tubber Hall (Hill?) and Tubber Croft.
Common on Whitemoor
The right of presentation to the Vicarage & Gill Church.

I only jotted down the main points. Let me know if you would like me to copy out the whole advertisement.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Wendy. The 'Hey' mentioned is not Hey Farm on Manchester Road but one of the farms aver the canal from Barnoldswick Park. Far Hey is on the Salterforth side of the canal near the Marina and Higher Park is up the hill on the other side of the canal. This explains why the bridge is called Cockshott Bridge, it was to carry the accommodation road between the two holdings.
Straight into the index! I think we have enough there, don't go to any more trouble....

Here's the relevant section of the OS map. You might notice that there is a flaw in the printing of the area round Far Hey. I noticed this and alerted the OS to the problem and they reprinted the map, gave me a new corrected one and sent me the maps I needed to make up my complete set of the OS maps of UK free. Impressive?
PS. The two enclosures on the moor go with the two farms Far Hey and Park because of the allotments following enclosure in 1814(?). It will be Tubber Hall and not Hill as there was a small farm up there at the foot of Lister Well Lane called that. Here's a pic of what remains of the Tubber Hall building. (Note. Originally called Upper Hall, corrupted to 'Tubber'.)

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

👍
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Given another retread and images refreshed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”