Clara Hebden

Travis

Clara Hebden

Post by Travis »

An old friend of mine has contacted me and asked for help to locate a grave of a late relative of his. Clara Hebden drowned when the Lusitania was torpedoed, her body was recovered and she was buried at Ghyl, however after a visit to the Church he was unable to locate her grave.
Her husband Robert was to die fighting in WW1, there is also a headstone to their son who died young in 1911. Can anyone point me in the direction of grave plot 597?
11251568_10202954110134250_559397511_n.jpg
11215886_10202954108494209_1701980595_n.jpg
11272257_10202954121854543_1539677594_n.jpg
11287183_10202954113014322_114868992_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Clara Hebden

Post by PanBiker »

Another grave plot conundrum Travis. Roberts headstone is in the churchyard so one would assume that this would be the resting place of his mother as well. I recognise the location of this from the CWGC headstone of Pte J Norcross which is just behind.

The entry in the register for 597 I believe is just the number in the register and not a plot number. The churchyard plots are organised on an Alpha numerical grid system. The notes in the margins in the register don't seem to allude to row and plot numbers though. In my notes, I only have a few recorded with actual section and grave numbers for cross reference. I know where A, P, Q and V sections are with their corresponding grave numbers.

I have no record of Clara's husband being recorded in the churchyard, he does not have a CWGC headstone and I have not seen any commemoration on a family plot. That is not to say that this does not exist though. When I distribute the remembrance crosses each year I tend to loose some and gain the odd name each year. I assume Robert will actually be buried close to where he fell.

Without an actual plot number it will be difficult to find Clara. Most of the plots for CWGC headstones from WWI are in the first section immediately through the gate. Again, an assumption, Clara should be somewhere around that area as that would be the area in use at the time but unfortunately there are a lot of laid down headstones there also.

I will make a note in my records to keep an eye out for her when I am distributing this year.
Ian
Travis

Post by Travis »

Hi Ian,

sadly Roberts body was not identified after the war and his name is remembered on the memorial at Arras in France.

Is there a way to find the plot?

Andy
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Unless in the church records I don't know Andy. Cemetery is a different kettle of fish as the council have all the plots recorded, which of course is how we found Wilfred despite there being no headstone. I know Peter (Thomo) has worked out a better understanding of the alphanumeric layout in the churchyard but of course it is no good unless you have the references to go with it. Not sure if Barlick History Society didn't do a survey at one time, might be worth asking.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Doesn't the library have a list of MI's for the graveyard with plot numbers and a plan? If she has a headstone it should be recorded.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I had a chat today with a man who has sight of the records, it looks like Clara is buried with her son.

Return to “Graveyards and Gravestones”