Eastwood Street was built when?

Alice

Eastwood Street was built when?

Post by Alice »

Can anyone tell me when Eastwood Street was built. I have seen a document stated Eastwood barn and land was sold in 1902, I know it wasn't built by 1909, thinking between that year and 1939, as was in census. Not able to find any other information, not on ours or nextdoor neighbours title deeds, nothing forth coming from Land Register that was of use. Library helped with the dates I have but nothing more.
So as Facebook users in Barnoldswick Talk said checkout someone anyone on here whom may know.
Thank you it would be very helpful.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Eastwood Street was built when?

Post by Stanley »

Alice, here's the 1946 OS map. As you can see there is no Eastwood street, only an access to Eastwood Farm. Wimpey started building the Coates Estate in 1954. I suspect that it was then or shortly afterwards that Eastwood Street came into being when the houses were built. I can't say when that section was built but no later then 1959.
So as near as I can tell, between 1954 and 1959.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for showing map, I do know that Eastwood Street was built before 1956 as I've seen it in a photo, a book about Barnoldswick. The lady at the library confirmed they was a census & peppy were living on this street. So rather strange as the map doesn't seem to agree. I believe they were two up two down with privy in yard so I'll keep searching.👍
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Alice, I've just spent a pleasant half hour or so looking at the Electoral Rolls on Ancestry!
Eastwood Terrace first appears on the 1923 Electoral Roll, 4 houses numbered 1 to 4.
Eastwood Street doesn't make an appearance until the 1933 Electoral Roll, odd numbers 1 to 11.
I think you can safely say that they were built in the early 30s.
Hope that helps.
Alice

Post by Alice »

:biggrin2: Thank you that's absolutely brilliant that's nearest I've got to it. I found Ernest & Annie Alter were there in census 1939 so that would tie in nicely.
I appreciate a hopefully happy half hour researching for me. :good:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I looked at the 1939 register first and found Ernest & Annie then searched for him on Ancestry. Their name was transcribed wrongly on Find My Past, the surname was actually Alton, not Alter or Alten.
They dont appear on the Electoral Roll until 1940, the 1939 Register must have been taken after the Electoral Roll for 1939. They were still living there in 1957.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thank you for the extra information. Amazing how things get muddled. I appreciate the time taken to research this fact lovely to know some of the history of my house. Much appreciated :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two up and two down gives it away Alice. That crescent that looks like access to Eastwood Farm must have been the street. Glad Wendy could come from a different direction!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Yes I'm rather pleased with the result. The Rowe of houses behind Eastwood Street is known as the The Grove only 4 houses there but slightly bigger.

:good:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My sister in law and brother in law live on The Grove. I'll see if they have any interesting information.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Census and Resource Discussion”