C18th British Military Records - Help

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

C18th British Military Records - Help

Post by Whyperion »

Despite finding some ( and I think others may be misfiled ) Muster Rolls from Canada, USA and West Indies of the 48th Regiment of Foot , in Kew, raised in Norwich originally for the Austrian War , but topped up in numbers in Ireland ( Mid and South ) during the Seven Years War, 48th Foot 1st Battalion –WO 12/5957 - 5992 (1759– 1845 )

I am at a loss to find same period of 1760s for the 55th Regiment of Foot ( or the Westmoreland Regiment ). From http://www.ballindalloch-press.com/55th/Service2.html Helpfully lists service to : 1761 - From this year to 1775 inclusive the Regiment possesses no record as to where it was stationed or of any active operations in which it may have been employed. The Corps it is supposed must have returned to England during the intermediate period. 55th Foot 1st Battalion –WO 12/6470 - 6508 (1759– 1845)

1755 The Regiment was raised in this year at Stirling, [Scotland] on the breaking out of the seven years war and numbered the 57th. George Perry Esqr. was appointed Colonel his commission being dated 25 December 1755. This sort of matches an ancestor and the area of the country they were associated in in 1766 - which is a long time.

Anyone got any links to this Regiment in their studies , I am particulary looking for 1766, we know that the 48th were in Havana 24th April 1762 and I think they returned ( the very few left ) back to Ireland disembarking at Cork within a year.

I will take a further look at Carlise for any 1760 muster rolls for Canada (Montreal) and in Kew for same again , but If anyone has any snippets of locations after 1761 to 1775 that would be most useful.

I am trying to think just what the British Army was doing in the Mid 1760s, I think we avoided international wars so would have been supressing the Irish in some way, pending the revolting of the American Colonies.
Last edited by Whyperion on 06 Mar 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: C18th British Military Records - Help

Post by Wendyf »

Have you tried searching the 17th -18th Century newspapers available online through Lancashire Libraries? I just tried searching for "55th Regiment" and it produced over 300 results. All you need is your library card. click here
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Have searched the newspapers , much of the results refer to the Napolenonic wars , including the return homeward The Morning Post (London, England), Thursday, August 17, 1815; Issue 13907. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II Yarmouth , Aug 15 {1815} 55th Regiment marched for London.

The rest seem to comment on invalids out , and changes and promotions the officer rank , without totally detailing whereabouts the Regiment was.

Takes a bit of time to download , as some are also repeats of the London Gazette information in the main, duplicated in various newspapers. Nothing wrong in that and highly useful if only one remains as a extant source. Will carry on looking.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A search on Colonel Perry brings up a few results, but this appears to be a Charles Perry.There is one item which places him in Dominica in 1768.
Have you tried a search on the A2A website.

Return to “Census and Resource Discussion”