Looking for general advice

Jamie

Re: Looking for general advice

Post by Jamie »

I received a certificate yesterday that I ordered on Monday excellent service from Lancashire Certificate Service. On the flier I received with the certificate is a phone number for ordering 0845 053 0021. Hope this helps.
Jamie
beejay

Post by beejay »

Hi Jamie and everyone

That link you supplied - LancashireBMD - is really excellent.

In the birth indexes they supply the mother’s maiden name so it’s possible to compile mini family trees of virtually all of them.

In the marriages they supply both partners right from 1837, which is very useful.

And in the deaths they supply the age of the diseased right from 1837, which is also very useful.

I’m cracking on at a ferocious pace now, attacking the Southworth’s and the Holt’s. The Holt’s were so prolific from the Rossendale Valley it reminds me of scenes from ‘Lord of the Rings’ with orks swarming all over the hillside.

All I’ve spent so far is the price of 5 certificates, and all from in front of my PC. Great entertainment value. Thanks to all the help. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Beejay
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Beejay

I have just sent to Lancashire archives in Preston for two wills at £5.00 each. You are right about the Holt's being prolific we have Holt's in our History but they were from Rochdale together with Butterworth and Taylor. In this area I have Bracewell, Hartley, Higgin and Crawshaw and trying to disentangle can be a nightmare.

The others are correct it does get addictive Dave and I have taken shears and hacked our way into graveyards to find a gravestone depressing when you can't find it but exhilarating when you do.

The local libraries are also very good, if you have a bmd with the year and quarter and the church they married in (UK bmd gives this) or if it is on the Lancashire opc they will send them out to you. I have just got 4 copies of the registers and it was £1.80 including postage. They send them out with an invoice and you pay them when you get them.

Hope you have success

Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

If you want to know anything about t he census years, most of us on here doing geneaology would be happy to look things up for you on Ancestry etc. Just let us have the names, towns etc.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Eileen, Butterworth's originated from 'Butterworth Hall' in Rochdale. But the name spread out to Bacup and Pendle. There are Butterworth's all around Pendle. I have a friend whose surname is Butterworth. The Holt family (from Pendle) figure quite a bit in my ancestory as do the Hartley's. :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh makes a valuable point. One of the key factors contributing to the site's success from March 2004 has been the willingness of genealogists to help each other and do look-ups for other people. I've commented on it many times, there are still nice helpful people out there and we are lucky to have them on the site. We hear so much these days about self-centred people, OG helps reassure me that they haven't yet taken over the world!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for the info all of you, you really are a nice bunch on this site.

I would welcome anyone who can tell me what happened to the 1841 census for London Road Manchester. Richard Higgin born at Hollin Top in 1780 died at London Road Manchester in 1842 and was buried at St Bart's Colne (found his grave thanks to Wendyf) His wife Jenny or Jane died at the same place 1845 and his son William in 1833, but I have been unable to locate this census.

The Rochdale Butterworth's have criss crossed into our history numerous times as have the Taylors both names indiginous I believe to Rochdale. Our Holt's are also from Rochdale.

Our involvement to the Hartley's are that Susay Hartley married Joseph Bracewell (born circa of 1846) can't find this either. Both are buried at St Bart's Colne. They were the parents of Jenny or Jane Higgin.

I have posted a topic for John Higgin/Joseph Bracewell/Susay Hartley and any help is gratefully received thanks for getting back.

Eileen
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I once did some research for someone on the Taylors of Rochdale and was in touch with someone who had done the Butterworths. I wonder if I can find my notes. I don't know about the 1841 census but the 1851 census for Manchester was damaged... flood damage I think
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Looking at the 1841 census on Ancestry there are 40 enumeration districts listed under the sub-registration district of London Road, Manchester. Is that what you are looking for Eileen? There are a lot of pages to get through, any clues?
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thank you both,

As for the 1841 census on London Road, Manchester all I know is that they lived there at the time of their demise.
Richard Higgin 1780
Jane Higgin 1782
Richard Higgin 1822
Joseph Higgin 1820
James Higgin 1813

They were in the tallow industry and when Richard Jnr married in 1848 at Manchester Cathedral he was living in Sackville Street and both of his parents had died one in 1842 the other in 1845 and his father was recorded as a Chandler. His bride Elizabeth Ousey was from Portland Street her father was a butcher. Hope this helps.

By the way Wendy I sent for the wills of John Higgin death 1798 yeoman from Roughley fingers crossed it's the right one.

Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Wendy

Posted on Bracewell/HIggin/Hartley topic about the will. Any luck on the census of 1841 for London Road Manchester.

Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Well I have now translated the will of John Higgin 1789 read in 1798 and the second will made 1733 read in 1736 who I think to be his grandfather Henry Higgin both were of Roughlee Booth. Hope Hollin Top is classed as Roughlee as it all stacks up with a wife Jennett and the children for John 1746 - 1798 and Jennett of which our direct descendant was Richard 1780 -1842

The John Higgin of Wheatley Carr yeoman who also named his children John & Henry is mentioned in Henry's will but only as feoffee to the estate of Henry Higgin.

Henry had a son John and three daughters Mary Foulds, Anne Fearnside, and Grais Claton. Henry's wife was named as Grais. I have found the marriages of Anne and Grais but not Mary. I am of the opinion that John married Martha Smith and this fits with my history they were the parents of Henry 1744 and John 1746 (not found) . I have not located Henry's marriage to Grais yet although I have checked the LDS for starters

Henry surrendered into the hands of the Lord and Lady of this Manor of Iglitenhill (where ever that is) The executor of the first half of the will was a Christopher Smith of (what looks like) Fulfian Road (any clues) customary tenant theirs ones mansion house whereon I now dwell etc could Christopher have been the father of Martha Smith?

The executor of the rest of the will is Henry's son John put on trust to pay the legacy left by his father to his mother and three daughters

The will was a nightmare to decipher I am still some words missing but these are the main points. Any help appreciated

Eileen
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Eileen,

"Manor of Iglitenhill (where ever that is)" ...... could this be Ightenhill which is a very old parish on the outskirts of Burnley.
Wiki confirms a number of different spellings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ightenhill Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Nolic

Thanks for that it could be Ightenhill the writing on this will from 1733 read in 1736 is hard to decipher. Thanks again for the help.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just been asked about the LTP and it struck me that there was another area of my contributions which might need explaining to newer members.

This is the cabinet in my bathroom that holds my local history index cards. I am not a genealogist but I think that most of our whizz-kids will agree that when a name is mentioned and I post the index entries I have for that name they can provide useful clues. Part of the reason for this is because I am indexing for general local history not genealogy and this means that my index entries can give a different perspective on the inquiry. I've been filing the cards for years and long since lost track of the number, there will be well over 10,000 I think. I'd recommend anyone who is researching anything to start a physical card index, you will never regret it. Where the cabinet scores over electronic methods is the serendipity factor. As you search the cards you trip over associated matters which wouldn't necessarily be picked up by a digital search.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Another bag of peas Stanley? You must have a big bathroom, I couldn't get anything like that in ours!!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Found Hollin Top and there is also a Hollin Farm---- put Roughlee into multimap and click on the ordnance survey, they both come up.
Coincidentally we looked at Hollin Top many years ago, we were told it was on an old pack horse route and used as a stop off place.
Gloria
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for the info Gloria on Hollin Top

Did you have any info on the Higgin of Hollintop

Eileen
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

If you google Hollin Top farm Roughlee, it comes up with a survey of lands Roughlee Booth 1809, put on by Pendle Forest History Group
name owner occupant acres/rods/perches value £SD
6 Hollin Top Farm Wm Brown Robert Hargreaves 20 03 09 22/00/00

Gloria
Gloria
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for that Gloria

Will look.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, there's half a bag of medium oatmeal as well. You can't beat having a few staples in the store cupboard! You're right about the size of the bathroom. These houses were built without them and when it became possible to connect to the mains sewer the nearest bedroom to the sewer was the biggest so I have a capacious bathroom!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Just a mention of a very helpful site I have used for the Lancashire side of my family..Lancashire online parish clerk..got most of the births, marriages, deaths and it's useful if you are not sure of area as it has all the parishes, and all the churches in each parish.
I have Holts in my family but as I am not descended from them I will take the advice that there are millions and leave that bit of research alone!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Belle

You are correct that the Lancashire OPC is a great site I use it all the time.

Eileen
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I use it too, it has a great search facility where you can search the whole county. Well worth using.
Gloria
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Me too - it is a great help.

Return to “Census and Resource Discussion”