An alternative to Orwell

Sue
VIP Member

An alternative to Orwell

Post by Sue »

I subscribe to an online Manchester based newspaper called THE MILL. The journalists write good stories, factual stories, away from hype and political bias( well I think so) . This morning this article struck me as being very interesting about a Rochdale man who through his experiences of growing up became politically active, was arrested , educated himself and became an author, now long forgotten.

You may like to read this

https://manchestermill.co.uk/p/he-captu ... urce=email
If you keep searching you will find it
Tripps
VIP Member

Re: An alternative to Orwell

Post by Tripps »

Sue,

Well done and many thanks for posting that. It ticks most of my boxes. :smile:

A quest for an unrecognised author, (cf Gerald Kersh) - references to Chadderton where I was born, and the Sportsman Pub which I've never been in, but know well. Mention of Anthony Burgess who went to the same school as me, and George Orwell whose books referred to I have read many years ago.

I've signed up for the emails and after a bit more 'due diligence' may even subscribe. :smile:

PS - Just read the article on the very very murky current world of Oldham and Failsworth politics. Not rushing but it has the famous 'ring of truth' about it. I find mentioned in it the lady Kath Wilkinson, who welcomed me to the Fippers. Small world. :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 30 Jul 2022, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah a new recruit possibly. I love their longer articles and general reporting. Proper journalists. I feel my subscription is well worth it.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think we crossed in the post. See my PS.

Yes - agreed. I'll probably join.

PS The street Jack Hilton lived on and pictured in the article is easily recognised (by me at least :smile: ) as Whitegate Lane near the corner of Gorse Street with the Gorse Mill in the backgound.

Anyway - I've joined. I've spent money on dafter things in the past. :smile: I may cancel Private Eye - well past its time.

The boss wrote for The Guardian,The Telegraph, The Evening Standard, and The Spectator - so we should get balanced content. He has a commendable interest in the history of newspapers in Manchester back to The Manchester Guardian started in 1821.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That piece rang bells for me for at least two reasons. My mother had a club foot caused by childhood polio and worked half time in the mill in Dukinfield. The other reason is I share Jack's distrust of Orwell and remember in particular being offended by his contention that working class people smell.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 03:19 The other reason is I share Jack's distrust of Orwell and remember in particular being offended by his contention that working class people smell.
I tend to disagree Stanley. Orwell is talking pre WW2 when living was a lot harder and a lot different from today. We all smell to some extent. Some more than others for different reasons. A household full of smokers has its own smell. Open coal fires or more often bits of offcuts of wood ash tumbling over the fire hearth. Damp white washed walls. Tin baths wheels out once a week for the family bath following a strict pecking order. The bread winner coming home in their working clothes smelling of foundry and coal pits. People did their best to dress up at weekends and many tried to keep things spotlessly clean but it was an uphill battle. Yes people smelled but it didn't mean they were dirty.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was reared in pre WW2 conditions Ken and never noticed the smell.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 11:46 Ah a new recruit possibly.
Tripps wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 11:49 Anyway - I've joined. I've spent money on dafter things in the past. :smile: I may cancel Private Eye - well past its time.

Two catch ups.
1. I joined the Millers, thanks for the tip Sue, and I'm content with the decision. The Jack Hilton story went national - Chadderton may yet be known for more that Prof. Brian Cox. So now I'm both a Fipper and a MIller. :smile:

2. I take back all I said about Private Eye.
Today's edition has just arrived, and there have been big improvements. Just skimmed it and it looks like the old days. The cartoons - which have been dire of late - are funny again. There was never really any cancel threat - it's on direct debit and I'm not really sure when it renews - it usually sneaks up on me - so inertia would always be the winner. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I will stick to the Mill, never been a Private Eye person , I can’t stand Hislop . I dislike him as much as I dislike Brian Cox...........
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Miscellaneous History Topics”