Post Boxes

plaques
Donor

Post Boxes

Post by plaques »

Normally not disposed to following eccentric traits like Post Box spotting. (See mystery objects Aug 6.) Wendyf’s reply spurred me to take a look at some of the boxes in the Colne area. So far the results are.

E11R. Pillar box. Painted gold in recognition of Steven Burke ‘MBE’ and his Olympic gold medal.
GR.Wall box. (George V). 1910-36
GR Pillar box (George V). 1910-36
GV1R. Pillar box. (George V1). 1936-52
EV111R. Pillar box. (Edward V111). 1936
P5220060A.jpg
P8080094B.jpg
P8130027B.jpg
P8100023B.jpg
P8100008B.jpg
The king Edward V111 box is relatively rare with only a few ever being made and fewer still actually remaining. It is estimated there are less than 100 in the country.
In the light of the forthcoming Royal Mail privatisation it may be prudent to place a Grade 11 listing on this box before it disappears into someone’s private collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Post Boxes

Post by Tizer »

It's a good idea to photograph things like post boxes while we've still got them. If Royal Mail gets privatised they might be replaced with bright yellow boxes with a name like Centrica on them! One of my collecting passions is postmarks and postal slogans, mainly old ones, but now I'm saving all the modern ones too because they'll soon be no more.

I've often thought it would be a good idea to photograph war memorials, partly to have a record of all the names on them and the locations but also just in case they get defaced or even stolen.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: I've often thought it would be a good idea to photograph war memorials, partly to have a record of all the names on them and the locations but also just in case they get defaced or even stolen.
There is already a National inventory of War Memorials Tiz. I intend to notify our changes with new pictures once the new tablets are in place and have been re-dedicated.

A search on the site will also bring up the individual memorials kept by working men's clubs and other associations.

It's an ongoing project starting with the names from WWI but the intention is to record all names eventually.

UK National Inventory of War Memorials
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that Ian, I'm glad to know that there is such an archive.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Miscellaneous History Topics”