Sandhole farm

Sue
VIP Member

Sandhole farm

Post by Sue »

In the mid to late 1800s James Widdup and family lived at Sandhole at a farm of 12 acres. Does anybody know where this is and if the farm still exists. This is the ancestral home of my Widdup visitor in September
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Re: Sandhole farm

Post by Sue »

I found this map circa 1888
F74D724B-554B-47E8-AA5D-A1140B1E4938.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Still there Sue but called Sand Hall on current OS maps. I was thrown by the name Moss House on that map, as the Moss House Farm I know is the other side of Foulridge. That Moss House now seems to be called Holly Bush Farm! Some lovely walking in that area.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/849006/
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sand Hole > Sand Hall. Can see it from our house. A lovely spot providing they don't build the by-pass road. Moss House > Holly Bush farm. My friend lives next door at Holly Bush Barn. Keeps and stables horses. Wendy could well know them.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 16:11 Still there Sue but called Sand Hall on current OS maps. I was thrown by the name Moss House on that map, as the Moss House Farm I know is the other side of Foulridge. That Moss House now seems to be called Holly Bush Farm! Some lovely walking in that area.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/849006/
Thank you Wendy and for the link, how fabulous. I have found a couple of my ancestral homes like that.

In fact thanks all who responded. Margaret a d Roxana will be over the moon
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I doubt if it will have looked anything like that in the 19th century! :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I found a photo in my Colne archive! I think this will be from the 1970's, it looks like a working farm.

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Fay Oldland lists Sand Hall amongst the historic houses of Foulridge in her book "The Story of Foulridge".

Sand Hall

1606 Sandall 1708 Sand Hoall 1843 Sand Hole.

The name derives from the sand deposits left by the glaciers, being originally the site of a sand pit. This small sand quarry was used in the construction of nearby Slipper Hill Reservoir. Throughout the 18th & 19th centuries the name was spelt Sand Hole, but the earliest reference in the Colne Parish Registers on the 7 Feb 1606 records the baptism of "Maria, daughter of Christopher Smythe of Sandall. A century later the baptism of "Ann, daughter of John Emmott of Sand Hoall appears, suggesting perhaps a transitionary spelling between hall and hole, so the name may well have been Sand Hall originally.
The present house was certainly there in the early 1700s and a house was there a hundred years before. The 1851 census lists James Widdop, aged 50, farmer of 12 acres, his wife Mary and six children. Over the centuries occupants have included the Emmotts "of Foulridge", Wilkinsons, Halsteads and John Robinson described as "butcher, Towngate & farmer, Sandholes in the 1920's. The property was still a farm until 1978 when it was purchased by Ashley Holt.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Very interesting especially the name Wilkinson. My contact is descended from Thomas son of the James mentioned. He was initially married to Jane Wilkinson in 1857 but she did not go to America with him in 1858. I am trying to find out what happened to her. Thomas divorced her in 1861 and then remarried
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a Jane Widdup born about 1836 and married, living alone as head of household in Colne in the 1861 census. Birthplace given as Broach Flat which is Foulridge.
Jane Wilkinson aged 5 in the 1841 census living at Great Broach Foulridge. Higher Broach in the 1851 census
She marries again at St Peter's Burnley December 25th 1863 to a Joseph Cox, calling herself a widow. Certificate is on Ancestry but I can't download it properly on my tablet.

Transcribed as Jane Widday for the marriage (father Henry Wilkinson).
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:12 There is a Jane Widdup born about 1836 and married, living alone as head of household in Colne in the 1861 census. Birthplace given as Broach Flat which is Foulridge.
Jane Wilkinson aged 5 in the 1841 census living at Great Broach Foulridge. Higher Broach in the 1851 census
She marries again at St Peter's Burnley December 25th 1863 to a Joseph Cox, calling herself a widow. Certificate is on Ancestry but I can't download it properly on my tablet.

Transcribed as Jane Widday for the marriage (father Henry Wilkinson).
Interesting Wendy.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I opened the image of the register, it clearly says Jane Widdup. It all checks out, found the census images. Henry remarried before 1861 and died in the 1870s
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You ladies are like active little ferrets! Nice.
I worked with Fay at Pendle Heritage. She smoked like a chimbley in those days.

Having a fag break in 1982. (Can't possibly be 37 years ago......)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sue wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 08:38 Very interesting especially the name Wilkinson. My contact is descended from Thomas son of the James mentioned. He was initially married to Jane Wilkinson in 1857 but she did not go to America with him in 1858. I am trying to find out what happened to her. Thomas divorced her in 1861 and then remarried
Just found out Janes mother died in November 1858. I wonder if she did not want go to America either because her mother was dying or because she did not want to leave her father alone
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Her father married again pretty quickly! He has a new wife called Nancy by 1861!

Return to “Miscellaneous History Topics”