Plaques

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Plaques

Post by Whyperion »

Did the collection of Plaques Images get sorted out.

Question of an apparent gable end where there appears a blank plaque , was it obliterated, or were they created in anticipation of something that never happened or just a design feature on their own ?

Meanwhile, and unrelated to that question, there is a website of plaques assorted - Blue Historical in the Main - https://www.45spaces.com/plaques/ just for your information.
plaques
Donor

Re: Plaques

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 23:08 Did the collection of Plaques Images get sorted out.
Nice of you to remember. The story so far in brief .

A demo of the programme and content was shown to PanBiker (Ian).
Ian spent a lot of effort into trying to get the OG system to accept the package. (Failed at the server far end)
Thought that a 'Keyframes' element in the programme may be the problem. This was removed.
Ian tried again, a long winded download, bounced again. May be associated with the Java script content. ??
All these trials had taken up a lot of Ian's time so it was put on the back burner sort of speak.
Without Ian's help and expertise it would never had got as far as it did.
Thank you Ian.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Since our last PM I can confirm that the mirroring operation fails when it hits the Java script. I have also tried uploading the native amended code up on to the development platform. Removing the keyframes data has not resolved the failure when calling the URL, it still fails with a 500 server error. Almost certainly the same reason that the mirror fails.
We could do it the same way as the LTP but it's a huge amount of work and would involve ditching all your original structure and reloading directly into the category/forum/sub-forum structure of phpBB.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Have you considered a Facebook page devoted to your photos Plaques? I can guess what your first response would be but it might be worth a try. You can make it a private group and upload the photos into as many galleries as you want.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That should be albums rather than galleries, sorry.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Facebook could be a solution as you don't have the constraints of the Gallery here on phpBB.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Why I liked Whyperion's suggestion of putting it OG and Ian's willingness to give it a try was that it would perhaps increase the viewing potential and contributions to OG from the local area. I designed the programme to give easy access to all the images (2000 of them), it doesn't matter if you were looking for something specific or just on drifting about in general. Facebook (wash your mouth out) does not have any indexing facility and I'm not prepared to go down this road. Flickr is another for the same reason. For the moment I'm quite happy to leave things as they stand and look at the option of a dedicated web site.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:laugh5: Just a thought.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendyf wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:02Just a thought.
Yes I know, you kind of half hinted at my response. In the trade Its what known as collateral damage. What's surprising is that quite often the groups who are interested in preserving 'history' can only see history in terms of what's gone on in the past but not what's happening now. ie: future history. Oxymoron?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like future history P, we live on a timeline, yesterday is history and tomorrow will be as well.
Ian is right about the LTP and the amount of work it involves. I don't know how he stayed the course! It developed into a saga and I think we all got to the stage where the only reason we carried on was because of all the work and effort we had expended. I doubt if I would ever do it again!
I have another massive archive that cries out for digitising but I am afraid the incentive for doing that is gone. After all, what did posterity ever do for me?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Miscellaneous Historical Photographs”