Site Anomalies

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Site Anomalies

Post by PanBiker »

A few folk seem to be having problems with the site today. So can you be a bit more specific about what is happening? Times when you have the problems and the exact nature of what you are experiencing.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Re: Site Anomalies

Post by chinatyke »

I'll jot the time down if it happens again Ian. I loaded the front page but then individual topics failed to load when selected. This is very unusual for this site, OGFB is usually like lightning even with the restrictions of the great firewall of China. Although I ran a speed test I only checked to the next city and international connections were not checked.
All seems to be OK at the moment.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is no indication in any of the site logs of anything untoward.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Mines been freezing at various times in the last couple of days. I have unplugged the router, 20secs later plugged back in, I’ve rebooted the iPad but it still did it. A couple of times when I’ve pressed submit to post a response it just froze, and also when I asked it to open a page it did the same.
I’ll keep a log now each time it happens.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I has some general internet problems for a while yesterday, and one laptop seems much slower now - the wife passed me one that did not like Windows updates, after some battles I re-loaded most operating software and have settings backed up and it is not too bad, I had to replace the keyboard (again) the keys fall off and the clips wont re-clip (new keyboard less than £10). It overheats though on Zoom/YT videos a lot and thermally cuts out, have a new fan to fit but its tricky getting the back off, next on the task list.

Yes it is slow (comparatively) to re-draw the screen after hitting submit - it happens with some other bulletin board type things too - is the problem the upload speed, site to check everything ok then re create the posting order and squirt it back to router ?
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Our electric went down last night just after 8pm, it didn’t come back on until 4am this morning. I got texts of various updates, ie it would be 2hours, 4 hours, they’d found another problem etc. Just wondering if this has been causing my problem, we shall see. Had no problems as yet today.
Gloria
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This might be our problem and not the site.
11.25am
Spam Email
Clicked on Big Kev Nat West to read the warning.
Site froze.
Rebooted iPad
Worked okay.
Gloria
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

That last post didn’t go straight away when I clicked on submit.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Your electrics are hardly likely to be a cause of your posting problems. Nothing in the site logs but they are not granular enough to register failed posts and the like, only really major stuff. Normal failure of random features of the site is usually Stanley's experience but he does keep different hours to the rest of us and is often on the site when likely maintenance is happening, some procedures will no doubt require re-booting operations at the hosts which would produce a temporary site loss, apart from that I cant find fault when I have been using the site.

One thing I have noticed is the middle button on my mouse is a bit iffy, touch and go whether it works. Nothing to do with the site just a dodgy switch contact but it does mean I can't easily open latest posts in new tabs. In another thread I quoted "physician heal thyself", better find a small screwdriver. :extrawink:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

replaced the keyboard on the laptop - modern ones are slot in and fairly painless to do (plastic spudgers best to use - I used a bent butter knife not really recommended) keyboard operation really does vary between computers and none really fall nice to me for consistent typing on this one is not too bad.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

The site is now working fine on my iPad, and I haven’t done anything! 👍
Gloria
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

sometimes device updates pending will slow other systems down. once they have finished their overnight or whenever thing shut down and woken themselves up they are running better.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The site is working fine here too. Perhaps the powers here have stopped using up all the international bandwidth for their communications with Australia! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It staggered a couple of times yesterday but seemed to heal up as the day progressed. OK at the moment.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Right, I am fairly certain that what folk have been experiencing are just hosting site maintenance issues. Anyone who keeps alternative hours to what is regarded as the norm, active during the day, sleep through the night is likely to fall foul of more issues than anyone else. Nothing in the logs but the logs don't record minor issues. Site as I see it is working fine.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It staggered during your 'normal hours' yesterday Ian. Fine at the moment. On the whole it hasn't caused me any problems beyond a slight slow down at times.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Probably network infrastructure related, the weakest link in the system. 150 years old and still expected to work on a wing and a prayer, (or twisted pair). :extrawink: Cabinet to home is now severely under engineered to carry the bandwidth that folk expect and demand.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or overloading the server to make more money with less investment.... (But you know I am a cynic/realist!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Based on experience I will still go with the weakest link. You could check your router logs which will show events between the router and exchange. You may surprised at how many events are logged.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do that Ian!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Site was staggering a bit earlier but has improved now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Maz and Cathy seem to be having problems with logging onto the site, picked up from the medical thread. I thought I would try to move the discussion into a more suitable thread. Maz says that the site is demanding a logon each time she tries to reply to a thread. This apparently is despite her ticking the "remember me" box? The common denominator seems to be that they are both using Apple kit. I don't think anyone else is having a problem and I am erring on the side of it being a platform or particular browser problem. I am waiting for some feedback regarding that from our down under members.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

My search engine is Google, and yes my phone is up to date.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Which Internet Bowser are you using Cathy that has more relevance than you search engine. Are you on iPhone or iPad and does the site challenge you for logon everytime you post or just when you log on in the first instance?
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I just Googled "Issues with Apple Updates" and got this hit, it may be relevant.

Fix for resetting default apps bug

Another result from the same search:

The verge - Apple updates

I think that nails the problem with your chosen device and its updates

Nothing wrong with the site.
Ian

Return to “Feedback”