Minor glitches

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Minor glitches

Post by Whyperion »

Re the underlines , on another forum I hang out on the URL postings doesnt give underlines - uses vBulletin™ Version 4.1.0, so I guess its to do with the undelying software.
I do find the [Local ] newsfeeds useful , have shared some info found via them with others as it simplifies life rather than having to go to each paper's site. Only problem is the paper's habit of only part headlining news so that the irrelevant appears relevant - bit like they used to on the old daily / evening stands - eg in London Interest Rate Decision ( often used even when no change in interest rates ). - And the vendors used to cunningly fold the paper to avoid too much detail showing so that one bought the paper and it's totally irrelevant.
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Whyperion wrote:Doc , is it the Bots crawling around and slowing up the site as they feed hungrilly on information?
Also got the main safari could not connect to server on the home page shortly after those so shut up laptop and went to sleep. ( dont think it was my ISP connections as other sites working normally )
I still can't find the bug and no reports of it in the error logs either...very strange.

From my end, the only thing that might slow down the site is the automated backups which run 1 minute past midnight every night, and the News Hound Bot which gets lets loose every hour on the hour, both these events are controlled by the server (Cron Jobs - for the technically minded) and should not interfere with individual users.

But it is early days yet and I'm still changing things around, so the site hasn't had time to settle down into its daily patterns, but I am monitoring it.

Again, thanks for the info.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, thanks for explaining about the pages opening in new tabs etc. Your esxamples do as you state in my Firefox10.0/Ubuntu. That arrangement sounds OK, with internal in the same tab and external in a new tab. I must have been using internal links when I noticed it was using the same tab.
I'm glad the time setting was mentioned - I'd got UTC +1 which I think was the default. I've changed the time zone in Edit Global Settings to UTC Western Europe then deleted all cookies and logged back in but the time shown in `My date format' on that same page is an hour ahead. I wonder what this post will give as the time - it's about 5.20pm on the clock.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

That post was time stamped at 5:19 which is correct and the "Server" time is also correct. I have only had a quick glance to see where abouts in the code the default time for Users is set, but it still eludes me at the moment. All the time settings on the admin panel are correct so it must be in the actual programming code.

[Geek Speak] I am still learning to code using the PHP scripting language, been doing it about a month now and I have been on a steep learning curve :geek: Originally I taught myself to code in Classic ASP (Microsofts Active Server Pages), but now that language is just about consigned to the history books. PHP is similar in its structure but it is like learning a new Verbal language - SLOW[/Geek Speak] :wink:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad I'm a simple minded old fart, all I bother about is whether the site does what it says on the tin and as far as I go, it's doing OK. Keep head cool Doc, all this learning is impressive but could overheat your head! Glad we've got someone competent doing it, what would a consultant cost?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

He's doing a marvellous job and evidence is the fact that this thread is called `Minor Glitches' and not `Major Glitches'! It's only a tidying up job thanks to the Chief Stoker's efforts. Thanks Doc! :smile:

Oooh, I've just noticed, some of us (me, Nolic and Stanley for example) have suddenly got smilies instead of our usual avatars. Fascinating!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer , run back to the lost your avitar thread on new site discussion , Doc may have news for you
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He evidently couldn't remember your avatar when he lost them. He remembered mine because he chose it in the first place!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sorted now, thanks for the help Whippy.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Where have all the avatars gone ??
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doc has been at work again. I suspect he had a choice between going to bed and wrestling with avatars. He did right. Mind you the facility for replacing them isn't working either. Give him time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Site ( well posts , ) Still a little bit slow to load, compare to some other sites I've been using tonight. Couple of the freezy rain pictures I could not see ( but then was not logged in so think users's gallery configured for members only ! )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whippy, how is the site for length?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

the site format has gone a bit warped

really, really long pages now

I'm guessing your tables are the wrong setting now
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry, nowt amiss here....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, when I click Submit to send a personal message it doesn't send it, it just brings up the Preview. If I click Preview first, then Submit, it works. So at the moment both buttons seem to do the same thing.

And sorry, but I've got another query! Should I be able to use the search function on the old archived site? Someone has asked on the Winged Heroes thread about an aircraft mentioned by Thomo on the old site and he can't find the page through Google. I tried to search the old site using the Turbo and the Advanced searches but they just give me a new-style OG page with a 404 error.
Last edited by Tizer on 15 Feb 2012, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Sorry stanley didnt understand the question , site faster today on FF. Tizer only difference I note other than the padding out banners ( I'd almost like to see the dedicated Amazon links - as that site does have some good stuff on it and I dont think DABS pays as much for feed in leads ), is the subforum topics now in a sort of tabulated format rather than a wrapped line, looks neater even though uses a bit more space.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:Doc, when I click Submit to send a personal message it doesn't send it, it just brings up the Preview. If I click Preview first, then Submit, it works. So at the moment both buttons seem to do the same thing.

And sorry, but I've got another query! Should I be able to use the search function on the old archived site? Someone has asked on the Winged Heroes thread about an aircraft mentioned by Thomo on the old site and he can't find the page through Google. I tried to search the old site using the Turbo and the Advanced searches but they just give me a new-style OG page with a 404 error.
Tiz, I can add a bit of info for both of these, first The action of the PM, not exactly what you a re experiencing but I have noticed that when you send the PM, the message stays in the outbox until it is read. It is transferred to the sent items only after reading by the recipient. I checked this out with Doc and it is normal behaviour for this messaging system. Not the same as "normal" email shall we say.

If you look at Doc's preamble to the Archive Site you will see that the has disabled the Turbo Search until he has time to instigate a better arrangement. If you click on the search facility it will return an error which is also noted. Other former features of the site are also disabled. You have to search manually but the indexing breaks down if you dig too deep. I have noticed though that you can dig a bit deeper into the topics now than you could 3 weeks ago.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, thanks for all that clarification. Some people that I've sent PMs too may have received multiple messages because I wasn't getting a `message sent' notice and kept trying. I'm now clicking Preview on every message, then Submit, and that seems to work OK. It's when I try to go direct via Submit that I get the problem.

I hadn't noticed Doc's bit in the pre-amble - probably read it earlier and forgotten! I also tried searching using Google Advanced and entering `oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk' in the domain box but this too failed, although I did find a link to a Google cache that gave me an unformatted version of the Winged Heroes page.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have never had the preview syndrome Tiz, it seems to work ok for me once you understand the slightly quirky nature of the outbox and sent items.

I'll send you a PM for a test at my end.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

My columns are shorter with adverts down the left hand side??
Say only a little but say it well.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Ok, so maybe the advertisement boxes are too big then.

Certainly restricted space on the library computers
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, got your messages and replied, but still the Submit throws me directly into the Preview. I can work around it - simply click preview, then when that comes up, click Submit. Some will say I should be doing it that way to check my posts but when they are one-liners I usually check them while writing. Doc has probably set mine up that way to stop me making mistakes. :laugh5:
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I think my colums are as wide as they ever were. Its if they get to only being two or three words wide that I will worry.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Talked to Doc about the indexing of the archive by the bots and he suspects they are not active there so he's looking at it. He needs to put a bit of bait down to attract them to it! Patience, it will happen.
Moh, best investment I ever made was a wide screen, I did it so when I was writing it was less strain on my eyes. Consequently I don't have any problems with the side bar constricting text. If you look at the top of the sidebar there is a blue arrow, if I click on ot the side bar goes away, try it and see what happens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Feedback”