Minor glitches

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Minor glitches

Post by Whyperion »

Oops , now that Tizer is satisfied on Tab Names in Browsers , its part annoyed me , as the Oneguy... meant I knew which tab was what , how about using the OG round logo from the suggested ones as the colour icon identifyer on the tabs ( my default Safari ( on a PC ) ,has too many blue balls from differing sites as I open up assorted websites ).
[ I find Safari is more stable than firefox at present and only rarely use I E now - I run a couple of browsers at the same time so I can log in or view as anon on websites ].
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see Doc has been busy again and we have the header post at the top of each page. I reckon that's an improvement and helpful for reminding ourselves what the topic thread is.

Edited later, it looks as though I was cheering too soon!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew there was a place where Heather mentioned News-hound! Sorry for cluttering us up with another topic..... The rapist is still popping up...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Separate matter. On the registered members page, is it possible for the active topics to include all the active posts and not just the misc topics? It may be me but in order to find the others I have to trawl the index page. Is there something I am missing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Nice to get a message when I log on, but alas there’s a grammatical error on one of them.
It should be you’re not your.
your.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the index page, in the categories of users, there is one in yellow text. I had to click on it to find what it was. Is it just my eyes or would a different font colour help? Sorry to be picky......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This message has cropped up a couple of times today in the arcade-----The data submitted for this game was missing or corrupt. Please play the game again. If you have seen the message more than once please submit a game report.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Gloria wrote:This message has cropped up a couple of times today in the arcade-----The data submitted for this game was missing or corrupt. Please play the game again. If you have seen the message more than once please submit a game report.
Gloria, can you remember what game it was.

Stanley, I've changed the colour on that link.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I think one was "A big filthy ape". I don;t know if you have the wherewithall to check but they were among the games I played this morning when I should be doing other things :surprised:'
Gloria
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Love your choice of smiley Gloria, you look like you sang the last line!
Few minor glitches to report here..soo sorry Doc... more like user error really. 1) when clicking on the smileys above the reply box, is it possible to be able to just unclick them...took me ages to spot the word None at the begining of the row when I wanted to remove one i had inadverdantly clicked on.
2) logged on last night around 1.35 and couldn't find any info on topics so that I could view the genealogy forum that Gloria had messaged me about. Do we shut? I am not really a fan of being told I ought to go to bed, so that and the inability to get anywhere except my own posts did not aid my sleeplessness!
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Hi Belle

No we don't shut, but I was doing a bit of site maintenance last night, had to reboot the server a couple of times.

regarding the smilies, when you click on a smilie it puts it's code into the editor like : grin : if you don't want it just delete the ": grin :" :deal2:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Belle, you have obviously not heard me sing----catawalling I think is the term. :laugh5:
Gloria
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, thanks for the titles on the page tabs. I can see what Whyperion is missing - the old OG tabs also had a little icon specific to OG and you knew which were OG tabs. Now I see a little dotted box instead.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I think I can remember how I did it before to get the blue "S" on the old OGFB Tabs, I'll attempt to create a new one - no promises because my heads full of C**p at the moment :grin:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Am having trouble making any sense out of the arcade, though there is an index down the side when I click on any of the catagories I just get the same lis coming up, games have nothing to do with the catagory I clicked on and the only way I can play anything I remotely like is if someone else has played it and I can click on the link by their name. Updated Java today so it's not that..what am I doing wrong?
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I'm not telling! Otherwise you will beat my scores...
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

We now have a tab colour icon , is it an igloo or dog kennel ?

Arcade give up go to bed , no , depends how you access it , ensure u are logged in , chose game u want to play from anywhere , then hit reload (<F5>) for most browesers , this forces your name into the game data - most of the time , not always though.

One speed game here you win by going slower , someone programmed that wrong !
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, I can put web link addresses into posts OK but how do I set them to open in a new tab in the user's browser? In the old OG I selected it in a dialog box (`Open in new tab') but here I'm clicking on the Web Address icon. Is there some other way of inserting web addresses where I can set the Open New Tab? I'm familiar with the target="_blank" that I have used in my own web pages for this purpose but when I tried it in the OG reply box it didn't work.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Let me try

This Link Should open in this Window

This Link Should Open in New Window/Tab

Click to reveal the code
► Show Spoiler
This board uses an Add-on called "Prime Links" which interrogates all Urls that are within a post.

The way the system is set up is that all local Url's within a post open up in the same window i.e. http:/www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/anything.html is a local link.

All External Url's in a post open up in new tab/window i.e. http://www.google.co.uk is an external link.

I'm not saying it is fool proof but it worked on my example above. I also noticed that the internal link was not underlined while the external one was.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Both links opened up a new window. (Safari on PC/Vista). I prefer to right click on a link and chose tab or window from the browser option anyway.

Also I am having intermittent problems posting topics or replys , might be my ISP , but above sucessful but when tried a min before I got:

Address :http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/posting. ... f=76&t=367
TAB:500 Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the re

Dont know if that is meaningful.

And Finally site seems intermittantly slow in serving up photos and some threads,presume thats the indexation still running a little behind itself - getting display

http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2712#p2712 General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

MySQL server has gone away [2006]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webmaster@oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Thanks for the info, I will check the server logs to see what was happening, I haven't come across the error from my side, but that doesn't mean it isn't lurking around somewhere.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Doc

You really confused me today wishing me good afternoon and telling me it was 12pm when it was only 11.00am just a minor glitch but thought I would let you know

Eileen
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Hi Eileen

Check the time setting preferences in your profile, for some reason a lot of folk seem to have the GMT+1 setting.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Doc

My profile does say the team, get rid of cookies and gmt + 1 hour but it will not allow me to change it so will have to remember that I am 1 hour ahead of time until we go onto British Summertime

Eileen
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Doc , is it the Bots crawling around and slowing up the site as they feed hungrilly on information?
Also got the main safari could not connect to server on the home page shortly after those so shut up laptop and went to sleep. ( dont think it was my ISP connections as other sites working normally )

Return to “Feedback”