Volunteer Required.

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Volunteer Required.

Post by Pluggy »

I've communicated with Ian and he's OK'ed to put it up on the site.

As many of you are aware I have a debilitating condition I inherited from my mother. Its gradually robbing me of my mobility and its become very taxing from a mental standpoint in staying positive. I'm down to being only only able to walk a few paces with the aid of a walking frame and I have now got a hospital bed in my living room awaiting the day (not far away now I fear) when I'm unable to get upstairs on the stair lift. Sometimes the problem gets on top of me and I can get depressed. Its an effort to stay positive and my mental health is suffering.

So, I want to step down from being the 'holder' of oneguy. Ian (panbiker) has been the main man recently with keeping the site going, but behind the scenes its all in my name, I pay the bills and then pass an Invoice to Ian who pays them from site funding. Its this final link I want to cut as its an 'extra' thing to concern me, particularly when something untoward happens with the site. I want someone to take over my position as an admin and work in liason with Ian to keep the site going. Obviously it will need to be someone in good standing and long term member with our little community. A little technical knowledge would be an advantage but ian and I often resort to outside help with the really technical stuff, so its probably not that important.

Ian will no doubt chime in on this thread and its him you will need to impress. Ultimately much of the "job" is someone responsible to bounce ideas off. I will do all I am able to help smooth the change. Thankyou.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
chinatyke
Donor

Re: Volunteer Required.

Post by chinatyke »

Stephen, sorry to hear about the progress of your condition, that's awful news. I hope you're receiving good support from the relevant agencies. All the very best wishes.

I'm not a candidate for this task. Thank you for your hard work with the site.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same message from me Stephen though my reason is that I am lucky enough to be too old.
I'm so sorry that it has come to this but of course it's no surprise, you have levelled with us and we have all hoped for a better outcome. All I can say about that is that whoever is running things has a funny sense of humour...
As for the site, thanks for everything you have done over the years and I am sure we'll find a way forward. Ian will be the lead in that and I will do anything I can to help find a solution and go forward.
Give my love to Mrs Pluggy and tell her that I feel for her as well.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Stephen, so sorry to hear that your condition is getting worse. Thanks for all your work on site.
Hopefully you will be joining in with OG from time to time. Thinking of you and Mrs Pluggy.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Stephen, I reiterate what Cathy says, so sorry.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm sorry to hear your medical condition has got worse, Stephen. These inherited conditions seem so unfair when we feel we've led an honest life and done our best to look after our health. I've inherited many of my health characteristics from my mother, including her lung problems that left her very breathless when she was the age I am now. I hope you'll get all the help you need and with as little stress as possible.

I'm not going to offer myself to take over OG duties, because I'm trying to cut down on responsibilities. I also have sleep problems and I find small things stress me out of all proportion now and there are too many times when I'm `unavailable'. It would be good if a younger, healthy person could be found to take on the responsibility; a relative or close friend of a member perhaps.

Thanks for all the help that you've given Stanley and myself with computers and Ubuntu software. Take care and do your best to stay positive - if I were in your situation I'd probably want a daily dose of the old Keystone Cops films and Bugs Bunny movies to keep me going.

Best wishes,
Peter & Janet
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I forgot to thank you for getting me into Ubuntu Stephen but Peter has reminded me. Best thing that ever hit the screen. Thanks.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Ian has suggested I post a job description of what is entailed.

As I said in my first post, its mainly a second opinion so that Ian isn't working single handedly. I have no real day to day dealings with the site, but history has decreed that the hosting and domain registration etc is all in my name. I envisage this would be passed over to Ian and this job is then just about providing support and sharing the load of admin decision making with Ian. Technically we have been getting most of the work done by outside contract. Recently his has been a Mark Hamilton working remotely from the USA/ He has much experience in PHP and PHPBB ( https://www.phpbb.com/ ) which is what makes the site tick. Neither Ian nor myself have had much dealings with the required technology, so we get help and pay for it. The funding for the site is collected by Ian and he just pays me for my out going costs each quarter. He has been dealing with Mark and paying him directly from the funds he keeps.

Ian does the day to day admin stuff and the mods deal with the inevitable spam/crap/unwelcome behaviour on the forum.

Thats it. Not much to it. Some computer knowledge is an advantage but the heavy stuff is done externally.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You make the job sound almost attractive Stephen! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I will add that it is more or less a registration thing, who's name is on the deeds so to speak. As has been said, more of clerking job of passing the invoices on when they come. I look after the day to day running and configuration of the site but as Steven says neither of us are phpBB experts but we know a man who is for if the site breaks properly.

I have other commitments that I have to keep on top of so I would much prefer someone else to take responsibility for the registration and the hosting contracts.

Whoever takes it on can have the keys to the PayPal account as well if they want if it would make it easier. Or leave that with me for the time being.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How much chance is there of anyone volunteering? Should we be considering other ways of managing the functions that Stephen has at the moment. How do other people manage these matters? Is it the function of a constituted body like a management committee? Could we pay someone to do it?
I feel we should be looking much wider than 'a volunteer'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I might know someone, I will contact them.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds positive.... well done Gloria, good luck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Fingers crossed Stanley, I know she’s a busy lady but she has the know how.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds interesting but I would advise against paying anyone. The site has always been run on a voluntary basis apart from support for major crashes etc. As soon as you introduce a paid position you are committed to generating a regular income to cover costs, on top of the hosting charges and repair fund when we need it. If you had to pay Stephen and myself for the hours put in you couldn't afford us at the going rate, easy as that. I would stick to the title of the post if at all possible, volunteer required.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Volunteer, that’s what I’ve told her.
Gloria
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope that works out. Thanks Gloria. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Definitely sound interesting then Gloria, thanks.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I’m afraid it’s a no, she’s got too much on, busy lady, but thought I’d chance an ask.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If we don't ask we won't get anywhere! Thanks for trying Gloria.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I'm a little surprised no-one has stepped up to the mark. I would if I could, but I have enough trouble managing to keep access to my own UK accounts from 6000 miles away.
Come on, pull out the stops and give Pluggy a break!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking along the same lines. I'm too old, the cure would only be temporary.
I can't help thinking there is a way of creating a legal entity as a figurehead. Has anyone got a friend who is a lawyer?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I think the majority of us on here are getting too old Stanley, much as the “like to help” would be there, I doubt it could happen.
My friend would have helped a few years ago, and has the knowledge to deal with it, but as with many people these days, she is very busy with her own life and business.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to keep coming back to it but shouldn't we be taking advice from someone who knows about these things? This can't be the first time a small enterprise like ours has come up against this problem.
I shall consult with me learned friend.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think some folk have misinterpreted what is required, I think Stephen's last comment sums it up quite nicely.
Pluggy wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 12:15 Thats it. Not much to it.
1&1 IONIS is the hosting company the site is registered with and who's facilities we use. We have contracts with them for the various bits that make the site run. Someone has to have their name and address attached to this, presently it's Stephen. Stephen gets the invoices and he passes them to me for payment as I maintain the site funding account. We are invoiced quarterly.

It hardly requires a paid employee to do this which as I have said before would commit the users to ongoing funding of such a decision.
Ian

Return to “Announcements”