Volunteer Required.

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Volunteer Required.

Post by Wendyf »

I'm sure I could do that, just not the best moment!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 11:15 Someone has to have their name and address attached to this,
中国 广西 百色市 平果县 马头镇 平果市 教育路 万冠新天地3号楼1单元1101号(531400)

They would love my address!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Right, I have had a PM from Stephen and he has reached the very end of his tenure for the site. I will not go into details here but suffice to say that further medical problems with other family members are the final straw for him and he needs shut of the responsibility.

I had hoped someone else would step up to the role but it looks like it will reluctantly be me. Needs must, it's that or shut the site down, that's the top and bottom of it.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ian, let me know what I would need to do to help you.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

:good: Well done Ian and Wendy. Sorry I cannot help.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon you have enough on at the moment Wendy but thanks for the offer of help.

The role is basically who's name is on the domain registrations that we hold. That includes handling the invoices that are sent for the various services that makes the site tick. That is hosting charges, IP usage, and now we are on a VPS the invoices for that. From what Stephen said when he took over from DOC, changing the registration is not the easiest of exercises.

Simply the bills will go to the registered keeper of the site. The job is to pass those on to me as I manage the PayPal account. I would release this role to someone else if they took it on. Knock on effect of that is that whoever looks after the brass will also have to do the accounts and report back to the site.

It worked well with Stephen and myself as he paid the invoices from his business PayPal account and then invoiced me for remuneration deducting his share of the hosting as he had some of his domains on the contract as well. That is no longer the case since he shut the business down so all what is left is the responsibility of the site. We also maintain a domain for DOC which may have to be sorted for the future.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Needs must, it's that or shut the site down, that's the top and bottom of it."
It's a bugger isn't it. I keep feeling as though I should volunteer but I know that would be a mistake, I'm simply too old and have to admit that I begin to fail in some areas.
All I can say is thank you to whoever takes the role on and I think there should be some recompense for accepting the responsibility. At the very least it should not cost anyone anything to do it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I've started the process of seperating my stuff from OGFB on the IONOS account. It should be straight forward but isn't[. I have our bod at IONOS calling me tomorrow morning. Once I've separated out stsr.co.uk and a another couple of my domains. It should be straight forward (hmm where have I heard that before). to change the name, contact and payment details to whatever.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking about you Stephen. Doesn't do any good but it's the best I can do. Life is not always a fair deal!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Volunteer Required., I've aske d

Post by Pluggy »

After big shifts and little uns and numerous calls to Ionos, I've successfully removed my personal stuff from the OGFB Ionos account. I've contacted Ian and asked him to login, change the contact and payment details and remove me from the equation. And as Site Admin is no longer appropriate I've also asked him to demote me to something lower down the scale.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Resident Guru? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Global Moderator Apparently. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have given you the green pill Stephen. Didn't want it to feel like going cold turkey. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Right, everyone else is off the hook. Nobody else forthcoming so to allow Stephen to step away I have taken on the domain registration and payment details for the site. All done and dusted as far as I can see apart from a few confirmation issues to sort out. The information sent to me by email does not comply with what I see on the site at the moment. I have 14 days to confirm so I will leave it for a few hours to see if the changes percolate through the system and I get a different view in a while.

To simplify matters I will contact Doc to see what he wants to do with the domain we keep for him. I have also changed the registration on the OG domain and dropped the original Sole Trader reference and the company of convenience set up by Doc. As far as I am aware it no longer exists so needs must if you will. I will mention this to Doc when I contact him. I doubt that he will complain.

I have changed the payment method from credit card and linked it directly to the PayPal donation account. My personal savings account backs this up as you have to set a backup method of payment Hopefully the donations should keep ahead of demand.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good man Ian.
"Hopefully the donations should keep ahead of demand."
The moment you suspect they aren't give a shout. Or just publish the accounts, I think we will know what to do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:14 Good man Ian.
The moment you suspect they aren't give a shout. Or just publish the accounts, I think we will know what to do.
Ditto. thank you, Ian.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Stanley wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:14 Good man Ian.
I agree, thankyou Ian.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well done, Ian. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have just completed email verification for the domains and hosting contracts.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have had communication with Doc as well about the domain we hold for him. He says he used it mainly for weather reports. He has other methods now so the domain is now surplus to requirement and we can let it lapse. He and Carole are both OK and they send their love and best wishes. He is pleased that the site is still going.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is he still in the Caribbean?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Antigua I think at the moment Stanley or he was in April.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:48 I have had communication with Doc as well about the domain we hold for him. He says he used it mainly for weather reports. He has other methods now so the domain is now surplus to requirement and we can let it lapse. He and Carole are both OK and they send their love and best wishes. He is pleased that the site is still going.
Only one thing about lapsed domains, they tend to be acquired by groups proffering some things that might be regarded by some as unsavory or immoral, quite a few of domains I used to visit as owners died or did not keep going in some of my leisure interests have at the lease been used as advert front pages for at least timewasting clickbait links. There is no real way of interring as dead any domain name at present, perhaps that option should be considered by the WWW3 group/ICAAN
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Well the changeover to me as domain keeper looks to be all fine and dandy now and is working OK. I have had two bills from IONOS already. All deducted automatically from our PayPal account. I just get the invoice sent to our email address.
Ian

Return to “Announcements”