WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

hartley353

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by hartley353 »

Wendy if you wish to use this route try to find who owns it and ask their permission. I have done this in the past and in all but one case I was granted permission as long as I only wanted to put my feet on it. The one refusal a perfectly reasonable explanation was given. You could of course trespass it is only a civil offence and is seldom prosecuted due to the high costs, but not a reasonable thing to do.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Recently during a project to build a lake in Cheshire, we were offered the sevices of CIWEM. (Chartered Institute of Water And Environmental Management ) The advisor urged me to take a look at their site. Today I took the opportunity quite an interesting site and worth a look, good article on dredging.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote:How nice it is to go for a walk somewhere different but very close to home. Trying to keep our feet dry this morning we drove round to Kelbrook, walked up Cob Lane then down the bridleway towards Accornlea (a bit muddy in places) then back through Hague & Stonetrough to Kelbrook. About 3.5 miles of lovely countryside. Why on earth can't you walk down Teddy Carr Lane??
Shades of 1932 - I thought all that kind of thing was sorted. :smile: Benny Rothman
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tripps wrote:Shades of 1932 - I thought all that kind of thing was sorted.
An unknown sin in a previous life has resulted in me being a member of Lancashire's regulatory committee, which makes decisions on definitive map modification orders as part of a process that goes all the way to the Secretary of State.

There's a huge amount of legalistic bureaucracy and each issue is fiercely contested by the walking fraternity and landowners.

It can take years to sort out what appear to be relatively simple matters; I suspect the backlog is growing rather than shrinking.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'd just like to say that I wouldn't dream of trespassing. :smile: I'm very law abiding when out walking, constantly worrying about sticking to the right path, it drives Colin mad.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love finding things in second-hand books. This pic was in one. A nice shot of Kirby Stephen railway station. 1950s?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I ordered some parts for our strimmer yesterday at 2pm., got an email at 4pm to say they had been shipped and they arrived at 10.30am today - I call that service (by Royal Mail too).
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I felt terribly ancient today.
Went to the hairdresser and said I wanted my hair cut like Judi Dench.
The hairdresser ( and her colleagues) had never heard of her!
I started listing all the things the great woman had been in ( including the current movie, Philomena)...but I just got gum-chewing blank looks from the staff.
In exasperation I pulled out my ipad and brought up pictures of her ( Judi Dench!...you know...Judi Dench for heaven's sake!)
Blank looks.
I sat very quietly after that, because I think they thought me a bit of a kook.
But thanks to the ipad, I got the haircut I wanted. I was in disbelief all the way home that they didn't know my most adored actress. Where have they been all their lives?!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cutting hair Maz, cutting hair.
My little Canon camera arrived yesterday. Quite splendid but there is a problem, I can't play with it because there is no memory card in it! I've sent for one.... I hope it comes as fast as your strimmer parts Moh!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes...they must have been.
I even spoke of "M" in James Bond.
They didn't know who James Bond was either! :nocom:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once had a 'Pot Shot' card that showed a bloke peeping out from under a pile of rocks. The caption read "If you bury yourself deep enough nothing will ever happen to you". I think that covers it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The impact of a power cut on one of the phases serving the centre of Barlick this afternoon.

Depending on which phase particular premises or devices are using, your power is either on or off; eg the traffic lights are off, but the pedestrian crossing lower down Fernlea Avenue is on.

At the Rainhall Centre, where we had cinema on when the power was affected, all three phases are used and different circuits are affected when one of them goes down.

The good news was that the projector was on a working circuit; the lights in the cinema were without power.

The bad news was that the emergency lighting kicked in when the power to the regular lights went off. A full house of cinema goers had to watch over half the film with the lights on...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We didn't have a cut in East Hill Street but that probably explains why my trip kicked out in the afternoon. Very often a surge in associated circuits when they are switching power and modern trip switches are sensitive enough to react to a spike.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The library lost it's lights and modem connection. All the computers still worked.

The police station also lost power

The Co-op appeared unaffected
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

All those lovely postcard pictures posted by Whippy in his postcard topics prompted me to post an image of this card which happened to come to light today. The back of the card states: "This epitaph is on the "Watchmaker's Tomb" near Lydford Church Porch in Devonshire. The long case clock is a drawing of an original made by George Routleigh whose business was in Launceston, and placed in a case made by Ernest Petherick, made from surplus oak planks from Princetown Church then in Lydford Parish, and in possession of his family at the present time. This striking clock is in working order." (I don't know when the postcard was printed.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Someone's creative. I wonder if the time on the clockface was the time he died?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Talking about creative.... Have a look at this LINK and perhaps wonder like I did, how do we join!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I tried Stanley's link using my tablet computer this morning and whatever it is caused the tablet to freeze completely. Might have been a complete coincidence I don't fancy trying it again!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Worked ok on my ipad, Wendy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Worth looking at Wendy.....

Could this be a start on the road to fibre connections in Barlick? BT's new box on Skipton Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Open Reach were deploying fibre between from the End of Valley Road on Tuesday they were past Long Ing Bridge by the time I knocked off.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Earth moved for us yesterday at 1.20pm...or at least that's what the local newspapers are telling us. A Richter 4.1 with epicentre in the Bristol Channel north of Ilfracombe. Various claims from the Twitterati that they felt the house shake etc. We felt nothing - but then we were listening to a recording of the `Just a Minute' show while eating lunch (and we don't let earthquakes interrupt either of these!) The 4.1 is about 100 times greater than the earth tremors recorded from fracking but it's still 10 times less than the earthquake in Market Raisen last year. We used to get more shaken at 4.15pm every day by Concorde bursting through the sound barrier over the Bristol Channel.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The Earth just moved for me as well. A letter has just arrived from the RAF Events Team. We will be getting a flypast for the Heritage Weekend in September, for further details go to the Centenary topic.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Yellow lines being put down yesterday to help reduce indiscriminate parking by folk working at Bankfield.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to report a sad event. Three years ago I treated myself to a new pair of sheepskin slippers but have looked after the old ones so well that the new ones were given an extra rubber sole by the cobbler and then put away until they were needed. Last night I finally recognised that while still serviceable my old slippers were disgusting and a danger to health so I got out the U3A Memorial Foot-Spa, did major maintenance on my feet and toe nails and consigned the old slippers to the stove. There is nothing more comfortable than an old pair of slippers and it's hard to let them go!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”