Gardening

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gardening

Post by Stanley »

Most of the Youtube fraternity seem to use Gopro cameras and get good quality. I've always resisted the urge but if I did give in that's where I would go I think.
In passing..... I don't mind a bit of gentle banter or 'joshing' but my hackles go up when I hear someone explaining crude behaviour such as sexism by saying "It was only banter".
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, I only discovered the `persiflage' word this week when reading a novel set in the 1920s. I had to try it out somewhere. Thanks for being the guinea pig and not being offended! :smile:

I had to look up Gopro cameras as I hadn't heard about them before.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 15:43 Tripps's advise on cameras,
I wasn't really giving advice - just saying what I used. Having thought about it though, I would advise / recommend the Toshiba. In fact I've just taken my own advice, and bought another on ebay for just £7 plus a modest p&p. I'll leave it in the car glove box. My grandchildren would tell me that I can use my phone for short films - which is true, but It's only the size of ten Senior Service, you can work it with one hand, and it's cheap enough to lose.

The Gopro's look good, but seem to be in the range £100 - £200 which is a lot of money, and I really don't need to operate underwater. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Here's a couple of general view pictures.
Looking down on the front lawn from the bedroom.
P5270245.JPG
Then from the back bedroom.
P5270246.JPG
There's lots more to go at. Tomorrow I will do a simulation walk-a-bout to see how long it would take. and then cut a bit of grass just so I don't get lost when I do it for real.
I'm sure my camera is up to it. Its just me seeing problems that may not exist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Go for it. It will be very impressive I'm sure. I look forward to it. That looks like a lot of lawn to cut. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I enjoyed the walk around the garden...looks like there is always something to do there! Some lovely plants too, Tripps.
Loved your photos too, Plaques.
Part of our front garden has been in a mess for over a year now, with our neighbour taking over 14 months to build. We couldn't do anything about it, with building supplies stored against the boundary and a "portaloo" as well. Now that is all gone, he still needs access to lay paths and connect up storm water. Everything has been boarded up ready for the cement. Paths and driveway are all prepared with reinforcing in place, but so far no cement trucks have turned up. New neighbour is rarely home and has a long commute each end of the day, so we haven't been able to catch him for an update. When he gets the work done, there should be no more work man's boots trudging over our land and I can re-establish that corner of garden.
( it hasn't been all bad. He has gifted us some lovely wine now and then for our patience!!!! :biggrin2: )
(But who knew it would take so darn long?..,)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know all about building works next door Maz. I have had them for four years now first from one side then the other. One of these days my peace will not be disturbed by hammer drills and hammer thumping.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know. It's enough to drive you mad. Our other side built a couple of years ago too.

It doesn't help that there is a rather wide speed hump outside the new neighbours house, so big trucks delivering building supplies would rather park on the flat outside ours and cart stuff across our front lawn to his block. (And generally there is a trail of fag ends where they walk!)
And because it's been a bit wet lately, the only clean access the neighbour has to his front door is to walk up our lawn and jump across the mud to get as close to his front porch as possible.
We don't mind. But the garden has taken quite a knocking over 14 months and I've given up weeding there too for now, so BIG gardening days ahead to get it right by Spring.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Marilyn wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 01:16 looks like there is always something to do there!
Tell me about it. :smile:

I think it was designed by the previous owners as a 'drought garden' with lots of gravel etc. Especially after the wettest Winter and Spring we have just had, it's now more like a rain forest. I'm aiming to tame it by the end of this year. Wish me luck.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

There are so many pretty "vistas" in your garden, Tripps. Spots where you can sit and enjoy. Don't lose them in your plan... They have potential.
Plaques' garden appeals to my more balanced side. Very pretty.
I can appreciate both styles, and would like to combine great places to sit with ordered views.
( if only I had the space...but I do clip a lot of my plants to enjoy a certain degree of neatness)
When we get that front garden reclaimed I shall post pics.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our front and back gardens are both in a poor state now because we've been waiting since last August to get landscaping done. They are smaller than our previous country garden but it'll be a big project because we'll get rid of all the grass and put in paths, patios, pond, rockeries, steps, gravel, timber sleepers and lots of lovely plants. We're using a garden designer and her recommended landscaping builder and that's why we've waited so long - he has about a year's waiting list! It'll be expensive but the garden is very important to us and it's a `no pockets in a shroud' project. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm afraid I am feeling rather guilty about a spider this morning :sad:
It was a large huntsman on the wall near our bathroom, so I made hubby do the glass tumbler and cardboard trick and he took the spider out into to front garden. When I asked where he had put it, he replied that he had popped it on the boarded up path of next door's soon-to-be-cemented area. No sooner had we shut the front door, than a pest truck ( complete with spider logo emblazoned on the side) pulled up next door and spray was put all round the house. Five minutes after that the cement trucks pulled up, and they are now pouring the paths.
:sad: poor spider....he won't stand a chance!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never forgotten my meeting with a Huntsman Maz. Beautiful animal and Big Harry explained how useful they are.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yep...that's the one. Being on the wall outside the bathroom door, it did put me off my visit to the loo this morning.
But I never would have wished it to be awash with pest chemicals before being encased in cement!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 23:33 No sooner had we shut the front door, than a pest truck ( complete with spider logo emblazoned on the side) pulled up next door and spray was put all round the house. Five minutes after that the cement trucks pulled up, and they are now pouring the paths.
I have a vision of spiderman bursting out of the concrete, picking up the pest truck and cement truck and crushing them! :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Mrs P has a liking for peony flowers so the garden gets more than its share of then. On a good year they are well worth the trouble but get a cold spell and heavy rain then its goodbye for that year.
Some sample pictures although they are bit past their best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just delightful. Such a pretty flower...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have two flowers on me chives.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have had such trampling of the corner of our garden devoted to our neighbours needs today. Cement laying with a fancy surface led to many strange things going backward and forward across our front lawn. I went out to check our letterbox ( on the side of our driveway) just after lunch and found one of the cement layers having a "back spasm" on our front lawn, desperately doing excercises to relieve his pain, whilst quietly moaning in agony. Poor devil. He seemed to know what he was doing, so I left him to his leg raising and rotating routine. The gang also had lunch on our front lawn.
( what can you do?!!! :biggrin2: )
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It can be quite amusing (and frustrating) at my place sometimes regarding tradesmen. Located on the front verge of my unit (Strata of 16 units) is the mains water tap, down the side of my unit is the main electricity board and Telstra (Telecom) pit. Sometimes I watch them going backwards and forwards up and down the street, stopping in front of my place and scratching their heads while looking at plans and not being able to find what their looking for. I then go out and direct them where they need to go, because its not right to stop a man from working, haha. The last few months it's been mainly the NBN guys and with so many different teams they all need help.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Most of them either can't read or can't interpret basic instructions or plans, Cathy. That is the short and tall of it.
We have had so many workmen next door over the past 14 months...English is not their first language. They interpret instructions like a child reading a picture book. ( sorry to reduce it to that level, as I am sure many of them are well educated within their own culture...but so long as things look like they should as in the diagram, they think they have done the job! Not so! The workmanship and techniques are sub standard...)
And most of them spend 80% of their day on their mobile phones!!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I often wonder about the impact of mobile phones on modern productivity rates......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Being in the domestic building industry must be one of the last workplaces where labourers can work with a fag hanging out the corner of their mouths all day too! They must all be "two pack a day" smokers...an extremely costly habit that they must build into their costing...
I've picked up dozens of fag ends from our front lawn, which is a preferred lunch spot.
Our new neighbours are heavy smokers. Have never seen them without a fag in hand. So they probably don't notice all the fag ends in their yard.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the good things about pipe smoking Maz is that we don't leave a trail of rubbish behind us..... You're quite right and I hate fag ends especially when it's a neat pile in the car park where some bum has emptied their ash tray out of the door. Makes you wonder what's under the sofa at their home!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, if they're like British builders their fag packets end up dropped into the cavity walls of houses they are building, as well as drinks cans and sandwich trays etc. That results in `bridging' across the cavity and leads to damp interior wall surfaces.

Return to “Gardening”