Spam email

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Spam email

Post by Big Kev »

With regard to your 'snail mail' audit trails Stanley, the same can be said for email without the cost of a stamp :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Theoretically yes Kev but the method of arrival is different enough to give more chance of it being read. In really serious cases registering the letter really gets their attention!
Wendy, I didn't know that but I don't use a smart phone and the thing that would really make it work would be the facility to report to a central location with one press of a button.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendy, was the voice recorder already on his smartphone or did he download an app for it? I couldn't find one on Mrs Tiz's Samsung Tab A phone. Thanks. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

And I thought it was just me. Mrs P's cheapo phone, (which I'm not allowed to touch) has a 'Record' option on the desk top. But having done a bit of recording there is nothing on the phone or in the manual to tell you how to listen to it. All very confusing.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 10:08 was the voice recorder already on his smartphone
I don't think there is - but stand to be corrected. I needed one for an important meeting last year, and tried several apps from the play store. None was good enough for a clear recording. I bought a proper one. Proved invaluable.

Col can record a conversation with the phone in his pocket, I'd like to know how.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col's phone is a Lenovo which has the record options already on it both for phone calls and face to face conversations.
For face to face conversations he puts it in a top pocket upside down with the microphone facing outwards. My new Samsung Galaxy A3 has a voice recorder already on it, but that doesn't record phone calls.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ain't life complicated......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for all the responses about voice recording on a mobile phone. I'd just assumed that as a mobile phone can `hear' my voice it would be easy for it to record the sound...but maybe not. The manufacturers are too busy giving us lots of stuff but not necessarily the ones we most need!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Watch out for this malicious email virus. We received an email containing it from one of our relatives: Goo.gl virus The article implies that it is being sent out to people's Facebook and Skype contacts but we don't have such contact with the person concerned, so it must be being broadcast in other ways too. Fortunately it's relatively easy to spot; our message didn't have a title and the offending link has a goo.gl address (although that might not be obvious if you are viewing email in HTML).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had two spam mails connected with Paypal over the last two days. Didn't bother opening them, just zapped.... The buggers don't give up do they.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got one telling me that 'your payment method has been declined'. Purports to be from Amazon Customer Services. Didn't open it but forwarded it direct to the Amazon spoof line..... Immediate automated response from technical dept. It's scam of course.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're getting more scams at the moment too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Times are hard out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Got this spam/scam today. They'll try anything! :laugh5:

Howdy...
I do not presume to referee anyone, but consequently of some occasions, we have touchpoint since now. I do not think that caress oneself is very bad, but when all your relatives, colleagues and friend see it- its obviously bad.

So, what am I implying? You visited the website with роrn, which I’ve adjusted with the deleterious soft. After you chose video, virus started working and your device became function as rdp since that moment.

Naturally, all cams and screen started recording at once and then my virus collected all contacts from your device.I message you on this e-mail address, cuz I got it it with my soft, and I make no doubt you for sure control this work e-mail.

The most important thing that I created video,on one side it shows your screen record, on another side your cams record. Its very amusingly. But it was sophisticated, so I proud of it. As a result- if you want me to destroy all this compromising evidence, here is my Bitcoin wallet address : 3MaLooub6EUQC7gfE8PkrTFF17Rfw8qQFS

If you do not know how to make btc transactions,you can ask google or youtube for advice- its very easy. I suggest, that 600 usd will finish your problem and will destroy our touchpoint in perpetuity.

You have one day after reading this letter(I put tracking pixel in it, ill know when you open it). If you do not able to finish transaction,ill share the compromising with all contacts I’ve collected from you. I do not think that cops can find me for only one day(not even 10 days),so think twice,you can lose your honor.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly the right response........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A phone call early this morning. I answered it as it's usually Margaret. It was a nice lady from Talk Talk advising me that my internet connection would terminate today if I didn't open a web address she gave me.......
guess what I did..... There are some very bad people out there.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A new scam email sent to me today...

Good day.
I run a site in the darkweb, I perform all sorts of services - above all it is destruction to property and injury. Basically, all but the murder. Often this happens because of unrequited love or competition at bussiness. This week she talked me and set me the order of splashing acid in your visage. Standard practice - fast, hurts, forever. Without too much fuss. I get receive only after doing the task. Thus, now I suggest you pay me to be inactive, I propose this to almost all the victims. If I do not see money from you, then my person will fulfill the order. If you transfer me money, in addition to my inaction, I will give you the info that I have about the customer. After completing the task, I often lose the performer, so I have a choice, to get $1300 from you for information about the customer and my inaction, or to get $ 4000 from the customer, but with a big probability of spending the performer.
I’m getting transfers in Bitcoin, here’s my Bitcoin address - *****************************
The sum I told above. Two days to decide and pay.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm surprised you even opened it Tiz..... If you don't recognise the sender, bin it without opening.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's no risk Stanley. It was in plain text, no hyperlinks. Opening the message can't do any damage.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I can honestly say that since moving to Windows10 with Windows Defender and using Windows Mail client. I have never received a single spam or troll mail, nothing in the trash either. I did get the browser attack the other week but that was Firefox I reckon.

On that note Firefox is asking me to create an account with them today. Apparently it has amazing benefits! When I looked at the list, none were very relevant to my usage. :smile:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 13:07 On that note Firefox is asking me to create an account with them today. Apparently it has amazing benefits! When I looked at the list, none were very relevant to my usage. :smile:
I,too, got that one and didn't sign up.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I also got the Firefox offer, and signed up. Not sure why - I think I trust them and I get on OK with the browser. However I've just un - joined, and it really wasn't easy. The more dead ends I went into the more determined I was to get out. :smile:

I've un - joined from the BBC too. Only joined yesterday to hear a particular broadcast. That process was a whole lot easier, and I can join again if I want.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We don't get much spam, and it's irregular. We can go for weeks with nothing then maybe get several over a couple of days. Plusnet filter out most of it. It's not surprising we get some because we're still using the domain name we had for the publishing business and our email addresses were on all the literature, web pages etc. We were selling books and journals worldwide so our email addresses got wide distribution.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Tiz. I note what you said about the plain text, I should have known you were feeling safe!
Firefox does it for me and I never have any problems..... (Spoke too soon?)
BBC, I joined to be able to get R4 on the FM3 and have had no problems with it. It recognises the account on the smart TV as well..... but strangely not if I access it direct via the Freesat box and satellite.... But that's no problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”