CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian account of a report issued by the Canadian Government Environmental agency that their rate of increase in temperature in Canada is twice the global average and irreversible.
Amazing how the border is protecting the US according to President Trump. It's a miracle!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This highlights the possibility of `run away' processes which could plunge Earth into the high temperatures and high sea levels seen in the Pliocene era.
`Climate change: Warning from 'Antarctica's last forests'' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard Prof. Jane Francis on R4 yesterday discussing this in an interview and I was struck by how refreshing and convincing she is on this subject. Sorry to bring this down to the level of Brexit but I reflected that if the same disinterested attention to detail and process had been followed in Brexit I would be much happier.
It may be that science is showing us the way to actually understanding our complicated world and we should adopt their methodology in other fields!
The warning that I took away from listening to her was that we may be in for a nasty surprise earlier than we currently forecast due to the 'cascade effect' of these changes once they tip over the edge. This won't be Geological Time but human scale time. In geological terms, like a lightning bolt!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In the meantime the normal processes are also making themselves felt...
`Antarctic: 'No role' for climate in Halley iceberg splitting' LINK

You're right about us needing the `same disinterested attention to detail and process' in Brexit. That's why expert advice should always be taken first instead of rushing into a referendum and asking the public to make a decision without the necessary knowledge and experience. We should have spent the last 3 years examining the positives and negatives of leaving the EU and then made the decision instead of promising that we were leaving from the very beginning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only problem Tiz is the human element. Look at how clear evidence based on scientific method hasn't yet resulted in any radical move towards alleviating the problem. We would have the political equivalent of the climate change deniers and they would carry on being disruptive. There is another parallel, the people who deny climate change and spike all efforts to get a sensible solution to Brexit share something in common. They believe, wrongly, that they won't be affected. Indeed the status quo is good for them.
A 20 metre sea level rise might persuade the deniers.... As would a prolonged recession and collapse of civil society affect the Brexiteers. But by then it will be too late.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's good to see a business with a lot of clout in the financial world taking this approach. Perhaps their children have ordered them to get on with saving the world! :smile:
`UK's biggest money manager warns on climate catastrophe' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report as well Tiz. I think you're right, it's the real world colliding with the fantasy world of politics.
Brexminster exhibits the same disconnect. Corbyn talks about the effects on the poor and the workers, May concentrates on politics. They could soon find out that, at base, all politics is local and grass roots.
08:00 Breaking news that Mark Carney has teamed up with the French chief of their equivalent of the BofE and they are saying that adjustments to capital allocations should be made now to address the threat of climate change and global warming. There seems to be some cohesion in this new initiative....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Carney news fits well with the Legal & General story too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed that Tiz. Could be a bit more than coincidence and if so it's an encouraging sign. Money matters would even get through to Trump!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was listening to reports on the latest massive cyclone to hit Mozambique and the lady from the Met Office mentioned the role of The Madden-Julian Oscillation. That triggered me to look for THIS explanation. I have never heard of it before but it is obviously a significant factor in the weather. At the moment it is affecting the cyclone and rainfall of up to 1 metre is quite possible.
"When the MJO is in its active phase over Indonesia and the West Pacific, it tends to drive a negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) 2 to 3 weeks later. A positive NAO index tends to be preceded by phase 3 and 4 of the MJO, which brings milder and wetter weather across the UK. A negative NAO index tends to be preceded by phase 6 and 7, which influences a ‘blocked’ weather pattern and is often associated with colder and drier weather across the UK. The timescale of the MJO having an influence on North Atlantic weather regimes is usually 10 to 12 days.
So it can have an effect on us and the present one affecting Mozambique is stronger than usual. I'll leave it to the experts to interpret this but you have been warned!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'd never heard of the MJO. Gosh, all that and the El Nino and La Nina too! It shows just how complicated our weather is.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly my reaction Tiz! And this is only what we are aware of.... what other links and effects are lurking out there and will they contribute to the Law of Unintended Consequences?
Later, a report on the lengths wealthy people are going to to buy land that is high enough to be safe from any sea level rise. I think it was from the Caribbean.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Similar to New Zealand having to put a limit on the land and homes allowed to be sold to foreigners because so many wealthy Americans are moving there to avoid climate change effects, terrorism (and Trump!).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was Miami Tiz, I heard the report again later..... See THIS. They have named the trend Climate gentrification.
See THIS Report of the current floods in Canada. Attributed officially to increase in severe weather events triggered by climate change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Eastern coast of India is expected to be hit by a cyclone that the government say will be "Phenomenal". (LINK) yet another example of the growth of extreme weather events.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's this sentence that struck me hardest: `Officials told BBC Hindi that around 800,000 people are in the process of being evacuated.'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ditto.... The scale of India is astonishing. "The last time India voted to choose a new national government, more than 830 million people were eligible to vote -- and more than 550 million cast their ballots. India's election authorities say that number will swell to 900 million this time round." No wonder an election takes 9 weeks!
Later at 05:00. The Indian cyclone has made landfall and is, if anything, worse than was forecast. 'The most powerful storm for years....'
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`US climate objections sink Arctic Council accord in Finland' LINK
`..On Monday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addressed the forum in Rovaniemi, northern Finland, with a speech welcoming the melting of Arctic sea ice, rather than expressing alarm about it. "Steady reductions in sea ice are opening new passageways and new opportunities for trade," he said. "This could potentially slash the time it takes to travel between Asia and the West by as much as 20 days." "Arctic sea lanes could become the 21st-Century Suez and Panama Canals," Mr Pompeo said...'
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

So its not worth saving seals and polar bears? So a quick ? route to China, Japan and USSR is what Eastern USA and Western Europe Want ? / Need ??
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed that Tiz... Ignorance on that scale is inexcusable and will bring it's own penalty eventually. How thick can they get??
THIS report from the Environment Agency raises some urgent and depressing questions about climate change, extreme weather and sea level rise. They question whether some communities at risk from water level rise and coastal erosion can be saved. As a minimum they are calling for £1billion a year funding.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 09 May 2019, 01:57 They question whether some communities at risk from water level rise and coastal erosion can be saved.
Some people see this as an opportunity to re-invigorate the building industry. As the coastal cities sink under the rising sea levels there will be a need to retreat inland requiring a massive investment in buildings and infrastructure. The fact that all this activity will cause more carbon to be released and aggravate an already dire situation takes second place against potential profits. And what about those who can't afford to rebuild you may ask? ''Tough'.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In this part of Somerset lots of housing estates have been built in the last 20 years on land at risk of flooding and they are still putting up more. The planners should have stopped them but they'll tell you that they've been over-ruled by bigwigs in London and by local demand for homes. All towns and cities try to become more successful and attract businesses, jobs and residents. It's difficult to see how we can change this without forcing those in the flood risk areas to stop and let their town decline; and where would be build the new towns? Cut down the forests? Develop on good food-producing farmland? We need to be planning ahead now because the trouble isn't far in the future.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some people on the rapidly eroding sections of the SE coast would say it was here already Tiz.
I was struck by what one old lady in Carlisle said when asked about the problems in her Warwick Road area (Flooded out twice in recent years) she said that rivers used to have bends and now they are straight. Her opinion would carry no weight on the grounds that she wasn't educated or qualified but she hit one of the major questions squarely on the head. Rapid run-off.
By the way, I notice they fought shy of mentioning flood risk in London. Do they think they are invulnerable?
I watched 'Earth from Space' last night. It was about change and the way we are affecting Earth. I had to turn it off after 20 minutes, it was watching those poor Orang Utans that finished me off. It's so sad and depressing. This sometimes happens if I am reading or watching information about the Holocaust.... Same thing actually but on a far larger scale. Mass Destruction of habitat and species......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London Generally has added another 4in to the walls along the thames and the barrier is designed to ensure essex gets it if there are any problems.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It won't be long before the barrier is no longer fit for purpose.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”