TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Colder yesterday but a drier day than forecast. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a northerly breeze and it was dry. This morning first thing it was cool, calm and dry with a clear sky, it's still the same now. The glass is up slightly on 1015mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The constant moderate wind is from the North and will give a high of 10C and a low of 0C with a significant wind chill all day so wrap up warm!
06:00. Cold, calm and clear with low sun coming in from the East. It looks like a nice day if cool. The outlook is for similar weather, the Bank Holiday will not be as warm as the last one!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday, only surprise was very light rain in the afternoon, not enough to wet the flags. At 20:30 we had broken could, a northerly breeze and dry. Same first thing this morning and the only change now is that the wind has dropped. The glass is rising slowly, on 1022mb. The forecast is for a very similar day to yesterday but less sun and more chance of a shower. The westerly wind is light and veers to both south and north at times giving a high of 9C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill at times. Not summer but overall, quiet weather.....
05:50. Back home after an uneventful pleasant walk. It is cool, calm and we have broken overcast which is still coming down from the NW. The operative word is quiet....
The Discovery is no longer parked in Butts.... One more piece of litter off the street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be far better than forecast. At 21:00 it was cold and dry with a NW breeze and high overcast. First thing this morning it was cold, dry, calm and we had an almost clear sky with some high scattered cloud. We have had our morning walk and conditions are the same but with less high cloud and low sun coming in under the cloud that lingers in the East. The glass is down on 1017mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of light rain during the afternoon. The wind is light all day starting as WSW and backing through north during the day to finish as ESE tonight. The high will be 8C and the low 4C with a windchill varying between -2 and -3C all day. This forecast is very similar to yesterday's and that turned out to be brighter and drier. It could do the same today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The afternoon rain forecast yesterday came in on schedule and was quite heavy. At 21:00 we still had light rain. First thing this morning the flags were just about dry, the overcast was broken with stars peeping through. Calm, dry and cool. I've just popped out and we have more overcast now with a hint of rain in the air. The glass is down slightly at 1014mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast and light rain showers at almost any time. The wind is a constant light SW until late tonight when it could become SE. The high is 9C and the low 6C with a -2C chill until 7AM, -1C thereafter. The outlook gives a wet day tomorrow and then similar weather but drier for the rest of the week. No signs of a warm-up yet....

05:55. Back after our walk. Calm, cool, overcast and light steady rain. Not as bad as it sounds, Jack didn't need rubbing down. Not a summer walk but we should be grateful for what we get, we can't alter it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was showery as promised. at 20:30 it was cool, overcast and dry. This morning first thing it was calm, cool, overcast and a hint of rain in the air, I have just looked outside and it is the same but with very light rain. The glass fell all day yesterday and is still falling this morning, it is down on 995mb. The forecast is simple, rain all day, sometimes quite heavy. The constant east wind is moderate and gives a high of 7C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of -3 or -4C all day. Looks like a good day for writing!
06:00. We have had our walk in light intermittent rain under 100% overcast. I have no doubt that the heavier rain will come. At the moment the wind is light and so it will be slow to change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain on and off all day yesterday but never heavy. At 20:30 it was overcast, breezy and cold but only very light rain on the wind. First thing this morning it was dry and cold with broken cloud and a very light wind. It is spotting rain lightly at the moment. The glass has fallen to 989mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, overcast and a light shower at almost any time. The moderate wind is NE and gives a high of 8C and a low of 4C. Wind chill of -3 or -4C all day. Slightly colder than yesterday but this is a sign that the low pressure system is moving eastwards and we can expect warmer and better weather starting tomorrow. Plenty of sun and 16C in the forecast!
06:00. A quiet walk. Sky overcast, NE wind strong enough to chill and isolated continuous spots of rain.
It could be worse!
One thing caught my attention, a pair of black ladies knickers on the pavement in Newtown. I can't help my mind running through a variety of scenarios.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The last bit reminds me of a story that Marilyn told me, but I'm not sure she would want me to tell... :cool4:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh do tell.... I have one of my own!
The good news is that as far as Barlick is concerned the glass is rising fast....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold and damp under an overcast sky and it was the same at 21:00. First thing this morning it was dry, calm and cold and overcast but dawn is visible in the east with clear sky. The glass was rising all day yesterday and this morning is still rising and on 1002mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with heavy rain starting at 08:00 and slackening but persisting until 18:00, actually I doubt this and suspect this is a west coast forecast, my bet is less rain and brighter. The constant light east wind gives a high of 9C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of -1 or -2C depending on the wind strength. The outlook is for warmer, drier and brighter weather from tomorrow on.
06:30. Back from the butcher's, we set off under an overcast sky but sun was coming in from clearer skies in the east. There is still clear sky in the east but at 07:00 we have light rain. I am still hopeful we shall escape the heavy rain but it's not looking very inviting at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was not as wet as forecast, we even got a bit of sun in the morning but the rest of day was cloudy with intermittent rain, never heavy. At 20:30 it was overcast, not as cold and dry with a light easterly breeze. Fisrt thing this morning it was the same and on looking outside we have very light rain but clear patches in the overcast to the east. The glass was rising steadily all day yesterday and is still rising now, it's on 1010mb. The forecast is for overcast this morning, possible rain late morning and sunny spells this afternoon. The very light wind starts as ENE but backs via the south to NW later giving a high of 12C and a low tonight of 2C with a slight wind chill of -1C all day. This is the start of a general warming up over the next five days. Reasons to be cheerful!
06:00. A pleasant dry walk in a fleecy shirt, no Crombie! It's calm, the cloud is clearing from the east and low sun is coming in. The least we can say is that the day is promising so far!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A much better day than forecast, plenty of sun and hardly any rain, only some intermittent light spatters. At 20:30 it was overcast, a light breeze and dry. This morning first thing it was calm, dry and a clear sky, bit nippy. Still the same with a red dawn showing in the East. The glass is well up on 1028mb. The forecast is very simple, dry and sun from a clear sky all day. The constant light west wind gives a high of 14C and a low of 4C tonight with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for more of the same and even warmer. This is a bit more like it! Full moon on the 18th.
05:45. A very pleasant fleecy shirt walk on a calm dry morning under a clear sky with early low sun. There is a light grass frost with ice on windscreens but that's no problem, a lovely morning.
The refurbishment of the Hospice Shop moves on slowly (They have a pop-up shop in Town Square in what was RSVP) and I note that the boutique next door which had such a good makeover and a short life is being worked on once more. What's the betting it will be another fast food outlet?
Every prospect of a nice day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a perfect Spring Day! At 21:00 it was calm, dry and mild with well broken cloud. First thing it was clear, calm and cool and is the same now. The glass is well up on a shade under 1035mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The constant west wind will be very light and gives us a high of 17C and a low of 6C with negligible wind chill. Lovely!
05:45. Perfect morning. Calm perfectly clear and cool but no frost. Low sun coming in from the east. Happy Bunny!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have almost exactly the same...
High of 18C , low of 9 , 1025mb and Sunny.
Lovely day :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That happens at this time of the year doesn't it, you slip into Autumn as we move into summer. Of course the big advantage we get because of our Northerly latitude is the length of our days.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and I think warmer that the 17C promised. Still good at 20:30 and this morning it's the same. Glass is steady but has sunk a touch to just below 1034mb. The forecast is exactly as yesterday, full sun all day, light easterly wind, high of 19C and a low of 7C. No real change in sight. This might be summer!
05:50. Not a lot to say about a lovely early morning walk under a clear sky with low sun coming in. In old money the temperature in the back yard is 53F. Didn't even fasten my shirt.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another perfect day yesterday. at 20:30 it was calm, clear and mild and it is the same here this morning, the temperature in the back yard is 55F in old money. The glass is down at a shade under 1026mb as the high pressure moves eastwards. The forecast is for another day of full sun. The constant light easterly wind gives us a high of 18C and a low tonight of 6C with a very slight wind chill. Almost exactly the same as yesterday but a touch cooler. Perfect weather for my trip out to Ilkley today. I wish you all as good a day!
The outlook is for similar weather but cooling slightly.
06:00. A lovely walk.... clear sky with a high moon but some thin high cloud. Sun coming in by 05:30. No complaints at all. Warmest weather today in Scotland, 25C possible.
Why would someone lift a heavy drain cover on the footpath outside Osborne Terrace leaving a hazard? The refurb of the Hospice shop has got to decorating.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another good day. I suspect it was again, warmer than the forecast. Very warm in the sun and my bald patch got a touch of sunburn. At 20:00 it was clear, mild and only a light breeze. This morning it is the same and looks like another good day in prospect. The glass continues to fall steadily and is on 1020mb. The forecast is for another day of full sun with cloud coming in this evening. The constant east wind will be a bit stronger, a moderate wind giving a high of 15C and a low of 7C with a wind chill that rises to -3C later in the day. Once more I suspect it could be better than forecast. The outlook is for it to get cloudier but it will stay mild after a cooler day tomorrow. It's good growy weather, we need a bit of rain during the night to encourage fresh growth after the early cuts of grass that are laid out all around..... No complaints!
05:55. Another good walk under a mostly clear sky but perhaps more cloud then yesterday. The sun hasn't come in yet but it's trying!
Shelving going up in the Hospice Shop....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice day! Bit cooler, more cloud and less sun but still beautiful weather. At 20:30 it was overcast but mild and dry with only a slight breeze. This morning first thing we had broken cloud beautifully lit by an almost full moon, now it is clouded over completely. The glass is down again at 1012mb. The forecast is for light rain now(!) and drying up by 07:00 and after that a mainly sunny and dry day. The constant easterly wind starts light and becomes moderate giving a high of 17C and a low of 9C tonight. The wind chill could get to -£C in the strongest wind but this is still a very acceptable day! (The Met office keeps talking about it being 'cold'. It's all relative. If the heating is off it is warm here!)
06:35. Light rain on my walk down to the butcher's but not enough to force me into waterproofs. Even with the rain, it's a good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to issue a public service warning of possible cold weather arriving during the next week. I have taken Mrs Crombie for her annual clean......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite the dire warnings from the Met Office it was a nice day yesterday and everything is growing well. At 20:30 it was a dry, mild and pleasant evening under an overcast sky. This morning is the same. The glass is down again at 1004mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of a very light shower almost any time. The wind starts as a light North Easterly, backs right round and by this afternoon is a westerly. The high is 13C and the low 8C with only -1C wind chill. Still a good day! The outlook is for similar weather, no big changes in sight.
06:00. Back after a nice walk on an overcast morning, not cold. There is rain in the air, I say rain but it is so light it doesn't even qualify as a light mizzle.... A quiet walk, nothing to note except that the Hospice Shop is re-stocking.
I mailed David about the dying tree on the Green and he's going to look into it. When he's sorted that I have another for him.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was different than forecast, we had quite a bit of sun in the morning and it was dull in the afternoon but dry throughout. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a light west wind and it was dry. This morning it's overcast, mild and almost calm. I've just looked out and there is a hint of rain in the air. The glass is up slightly on 1005mb. The forecast is for it to be dull until teatime when we will have clearing skies and sun, no rain in sight. The constant light west wind gives a high of 14C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill. Not a bad day!
06:05. A quiet pleasant walk, nothing to report or complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another decent day yesterday despite the forecast. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was mild and dry. This morning first thing it was calm and a clear sky, same now but with broken cloud. The glass is up a touch at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry day with sunny spells clearing as the day goes on. The wind is westerly and gradually increases to moderate from the calm we have at the moment. The high is 15C and the low 6C, the wind chill is zero at the moment but rises to -2C later. A quiet pleasant day on the face of it. The outlook is for similar but increasing cloud and the chance of rain later in the week.
05:50. A quiet walk under breaking cloud coming in from the west very slowly on the light wind. It's more cloudy and murky in the east and this has blocked the sun for the moment.

Here's David's next task as tree warden! This tree is dead and has been for a while. It can only fall across the path in Valley Gardens.

I've been meaning to do this pic for a while. What used to be Geoff Riley's butcher's shop in Newtown. Note the size of the single huge stone below the window!

A pic of the current state of the Yorkshire Bank Building. It's a blight on the street!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another pleasant day, lots of sun once the cloud had shifted a bit. At 20:30 it was overcast, mild and dry. This morning first thing we had a clear sky and it was dry and calm, I have just popped out and it's still dry and calm but with a thick mist. The glass is up on a shade over 1003mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is for a dry sunny day once the mist burns off. The wind is a constant westerly tending if anything to the NW during the day, it starts as very light but gradually increases as the day goes on and giving us a high of 15C and a low of 6C tonight. No wind chill at the moment but for most of the day it will be -2C. Looks like another pleasant day!
The outlook is for similar weather is slightly cooler and more cloudy, weekend could see some rain for the Bank Holiday.
05:50. By the time we went out the heavy mist had lifted and all that remained was mist out to the east. Cool but still a pleasant morning. I don't think it'll be long before the sun breaks through....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday. At 20:30 it was mild, a light breeze dry and light. First thing this morning it was dry, cool, calm and a mainly clear sky with some light high cloud. It has clouded over since but is still calm and dry. The glass is up a touch at 1005mb. The forecast says we should have light rain at the moment.... but the day will be mainly dry and sunny. The constant mainly SW wind starts light and increases slightly during the day giving a high of 14C and a low of 6C with a wind chill of -2C as the wind gets up later. Still a good forecast! Mind you, it would be nice to get some warmer weather.....
06:15. A dry pleasant walk under broken cloud with low sun coming in from the east. No complaints at all.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again, yesterday was better than the forecast suggested, a nice day.... At 20:30 we had broken cloud and it was calm, dry and mild. First thing this morning it was the same, stars peeping through the gaps in the cloud. I've looked outside and it is a bit more overcast but dawn is showing in the clearer skies to the east. The glass is down slightly on a shed under 1013mb The forecast is for a dry day with more sun in the morning than in the afternoon. The WSW wind starts light and gradually increases to light to moderate giving a high of 14C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill later. Outlook shows little change, perhaps a chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday.
A good day for a vote!
06:10. A pleasant walk. The early sun is masked now by cloud but it's calm and dry, that'll do!
The Hospice shop is ready for opening. The two model figures in the window are now clothed! I can remember a time when unclothed model figure were always draped in case they inflamed the sensibilities of the public!
The boutique next door has also reopened as 'Mr and Mrs' who seem to be purveyors of anything you might need to organise and decorate a wedding. I wish them well......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”