Global Moderator

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by Stanley »

Now to do it with a weighted pack!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not a requirement of my physio regime Stanley, I'm not training for the SAS. Just getting there was a milestone I set my sight's on when I woke up from the anaesthetic. That one is done and will be done a few more times before I tackle Penyghent.

It wasn't that long since you were telling me to take it easy as "it would come", make your mind up. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No need to, it has come!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice day for a walk if a tad breezy. I nipped round to see Miles at the pie shop and relieved him of one of his Cornish Pasties for lunch. Packed up and set off via my normal escape route up to Standridge and then the ridge route up to the summit. It was a bit breezy when you had gained a bit of height and I met a couple who were resting behind the wall by the second stile to get out of the wind. I stopped here as well for a drink and we had a bit of a chat. They were following a route of one of our locally published walks and had started from Letcliffe. They were not local but from over near Leeds and had come for the day. After a 5 minute rest I cracked on, the couple overtaking me in the next quarter mile. I was over the last stile before the summit by then and we more or less arrived at the same time. Their route was taking them down to Weets House and along Gisburn Old Road to return via Lister Well. I was intending to come off the North side and back home via The Edge in the valley. I changed my mind as the quite stiff wind would have been in my face all the way back. I was ready for my lunch so I backtracked down from the summit and got behind the wall near the exit onto the path over to Duckpond. I had my lunch and then struck out across the moor. I passed the stile down to Duckpond and continued forward over the rough pasture and down onto Lister Well for my return. Not my favourite route home but it did extend the route by about another mile over the Duckpond Folly return. I came down Manchester Road then Gillians Lane and returned via Forty Steps, Ouseldale and Clough.

Warm in the sun when out of the wind. Took my windproof jacket but could do without it for most of the route. Endomondo tells me that this is my best so far this year. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So there was a small queue for Weets Summit.......
You're doing well Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Mrs P commented that you were doing first class and was impressed by your determination to keep going.
Meanwhile, I dropped my car off for its annual MOT and walked back home through the park. 1½ mile of up hillish, at least 300ft, in half a hour. Man isn't designed for walking, the bendy bits in the middle of your legs makes sitting down dead easy. Walked back again to collect it, it had passed, also down hill, so I won't brag about that.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, Bonny Colne on the Hill. One of the advantages of living around here, plenty of cardiovascular workout opportunity. :smile: You can brag about the downhill, it can be harder, especially on the knees. :extrawink:

I have to say I was ready for a sit down when I got home. The hard track down Lister Well was not the best underfoot return I have to say. Hard going on already partially weary feet. I did some stretches after my walk but I was still pretty stiff last night. I have recovered well overnight though. I am measuring my progression now by recovery time rather than endurance and distance of the walk, probably a better indicator for strength and stamina build up.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I am measuring my progression now by recovery time"

I started using recovery time as an indicator when I realised I was getting old Ian. Time was when a good night's sleep repaired all the damage done the day before. Than I noted that it was taking longer! It's a very reliable indicator, in your case, of progress back from trauma.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

After exercise you also continue to burn calories as your body goes through the recovery process
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our lad Jack and a friend are walking the Yorkshire Three Peaks today. They made an early start and are now the other side of Penyghent and on the trek for Ribblehead via Higher Birkwith and Thorns.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Makes me feel tired just thinking about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Jack's phone died on the trek over Thorns so we didn't get any further updates until he was back home and in the pub. :smile: He said it was pretty wet, especially on the last leg down Sulber Nick, basically a mud slide. Hard going when you have to fight it. My daughter Carla and a few of her girlfriends are doing it in September.

Apparently Carla and Carly (who work at the same school), have a bit of a match going on. Each one taking turns to challenge each other to a different event or activity. Carla is doing a 5K through the woods run at Bolton Abbey which Carly has to attend. Carly has upped the anti with the Three Peaks in September. So daughter says Carly will owe her some miles. I have offered suggestion of The Great North Run, which Carla has already done once, and I have just thought of another. One of the Coast to Coast bike rides, (although that will need a lot of logistics). I will offer it up this afternoon when we go over to Silsden for tea. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is it wise to foster this competition? They'll be queuing for the Everest Summit before you know it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I doubt that very much, it's a very good way of helping to keep fit. Carly has a list that she wants to tick off before she is 30. The Three Peaks is one of them.

Caught sight of one of the BBMF Hurricanes yesterday doing its stuff over Keighley RLFC I believe. Heard it before I saw it of course. Safe in the knowledge that I have stroked it during my visit to Conningsby. :biggrin2:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This weekend marks the summer version of the Montane Spine Race along the Pennine Way. Hundreds of runners leave Edale tomorrow, some heading for Hardraw in the shorter race and some going the full length of the Way to Scotland. It looks as if John Boothman from Barlick is doing it again after his remarkable success in the Winter race. I shall be watching his GPS dot compulsively! I might make it down to Lothersdale or up to Pinhaw to cheer these remarkable athletes on.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes they certainly are at the elite end of things. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know doing something like that is regarded as laudable but I am afraid I have never seen the attraction. The competitive and sport gene was omitted when they built me. But I will admit it's impressive.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm not sure that there is a competitive element to these Ultra Mountain Marathons, for all but the top few it's a battle with yourself and the physical conditions, a need to push to the limits. Something completely alien to me I might add!
A young friend of mine finished the 50 odd mile Kendal Mountain Marathon a couple of months ago. She has always climbed, run and cycled but a year ago she lost her Mum to sepsis and 6 weeks later her partner fell to his death in front of her on a climb in the Lakes. She is holding on to her sanity by pushing her limits and finding what she is capable of. She is working towards the Spine in a couple of years!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's a plateful but good lass for not giving up.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The word 'driven' springs to mind......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Belting day for a walk so I got togged up after a bit of lunch, I say togged up but that was a base layer T shirt, shorts, my boots and a baseball cap. I lathered up with sun tan cream and took a small pack with water and my usual biscuits for a sugar injection when required. Usual exit up Colne Road and Moorgate. I noticed what has always been Standridge Farm has now a new name plate as Higher Standridge brought about no doubt to differentiate from the new build Lower Standridge down the field towards Lane Bottom. I'm in no hurry today as the weather is so nice and moving fast is only going to tire me quicker. Out into the field just above the farm and up to the first stile. Taking in the view here and a bit of water the mist started well up into the Dales so past Barlick all visible over the drumlins past the three peaks, Malham Cove catching the sun and standing out in the lower Dales. Onto the Bronze Age bank and up onto the ridge, pockets of wet still in places but drying up fast. I was on my own on the hill with hardly a sound other than the birds. Third stile I met a young guy on his way down with his bike I let him negotiate the stile before pressing on, past the scar and then the last 150ft or so up to the cairn. Completely dry on the top so over to the trig and then the bench for a sit down and take in the view. Dismayed to see a discarded single use plastic water bottle dumped under the seat so I picked it up and shoved it in my pack, (why cant folk take their rubbish home with them)? Couldn't quite see out to the coast down the Ribble valley, the misty haze was blocking out Blackpool tower which is usually easy to spot from the top. The solar farm near Bomber behind Gisburn was shining and looked like two lakes and probably making a bit of cash today. 10 minutes rest abit more water and my pack of biscuits and we are ready for off.

I was going to come off the North side down to the Edge but noticed the field was full of cows. I don't do cows if I can help it, too damn big and the younger curious ones are too boisterous for my liking. I tracked back to the cairn and over to the wall. Out onto the moor and over the footpath returning via Duckpond, bit of work going on there Briggs and Duxbury's wagon there delivering aggregate by the look. I came over the field to the top of Folly and noticed that there is a new build property next to Prospect, still under construction but well on the way to completion. I didn't see another soul until I got down to the RDA stable just above Craven View. It was very warm and my small pack is not air spaced so my back was sodden, my self wicking base layer was fighting a losing battle. I had stripped off once coming over the moor to dry it out. A bit of relief from the sun below Standridge with the high foliage on the lane. Back down Westgate and round the Parrock onto Butts and back up home. I was ready for a small beer which went down well when I had got my boots off. I sat in the yard for half an hour to cool down.

Not my fastest circular on Weets by any means but it was not a day for rushing.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A repeat of my last Weets walk today after a bit of a lay off due to holidays with the grandchildren and our camping trips.

Belting day for it with a break in the recent wet weather. Usual escape route up Folly Lane. One thing I noticed since I last did the route in July. More of the lane has been resurfaced with concrete. The new section is from above Causeway Carr just beyond the new road to Lower Standridge where the original concrete section ended now extended all the way up to Standridge, full width of the lane (within wooden side barriers) and nicely finished with diagonal grips impressed in the top surface. Drainage included at regular intervals up the new stretch.

Out into the field above Standridge and up the ridge. It was surprisingly dry on the way up apart from a couple of the usual suspect spots. I only met three other folk coming off the hill with their dogs. I reached the trig in just under an hour and had a rest for a few minutes. I took my hand held transceiver with me and put out a few calls but with no replies. Good views all the way out to the Fylde coast, Blackpool Tower clearly visible. North West and the Lakeland hills and further to the North you could see well past the Three Peaks and up into the higher dales. A couple of biscuits and a bit of rehydration and I set off back. Tracking back towards the cairn I noticed a whole bunch of folk coming up the hill in two main groups of about 20 in each. I met the first bunch just as I was about to exit over the moor. They all seemed to be 30 something's or thereabouts and I wondered if they were on some kind of team building exercise. If that was the case the front bunch looked as if they had abandoned the ones at the back!

Out over the moor and there was a lot more standing water on the top on the first half mile or so. It got drier as I approached the stile off the moor down to Duckpond. Uneventful return back down Folly, Moorgate, Colne Road and home via the Parrock. Warm in the sun, still in my summer walking pants, base layer, light fleece and wind proof top layer. I had to loose this at the top of Folly as the wind had dropped on the back side of the hill and it was a tad warm in the sun, I was glad of it in the cool breeze at the trig though.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Green has stayed dry as well after all the rain, just a bit softer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Favourite Walks”