Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Have a good trip.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 03:13 Just a thought Ian. Just because the solenoid is clicking doesn't mean the contacts inside are good. Dead simple way to test it is to bridge the two big contacts with a heavy bar of metal. If the starter is the problem it won't spin, if it does it's the solenoid (which is the most likely culprit)
I would tend to agree after rocking it yesterday to no avail. Having said that it's past all that now and just taking up room on the street, also off my insurance policy so it has to go. Not in a position to do the checks myself so it's a winch job before the journey to Salterforth. I will give them a ring shortly to arrange the pickup. It's parked fairly well back on the gable of Bessie Street so that no one can park up behind it to bugger up a pickup. Scrap value only plus the rent I will get back on the tax. The key card for access and starting is probably worth more than the vehicle as we had to get that swapped while I was in hospital.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Got a quote to repair mine, £260 and I won't have to get my hands dirty :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The Renault went today, picked up by Emmott's from Colne, Watson's at Salterforth can no longer do pickup, drive or tow are the only options.

Picked up the car mats yesterday at Aldi, just the job. Was looking for the boot liner that they have on the website but they don't seem to have stock. It has velcro fasteners to line and cover the sides and the back of the seats, All the internal carpets are immaculate and we have always used our hatchbacks for any job required. It will swallow all our camping gear without dropping the seats. The 60/40 seats in the Hyundai fold completely flat so can produce a quite a large area for shifting bigger stuff. I have only put back the more useful stuff into the Hyundai and have managed to find a convenient space for everything. Just need to be able to drive it now.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You can order the boot liner on the Aldi website, there's a £2.95 delivery charge though...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My new cutters arrived yesterday. El Cheapo, only £46 for the lot, but a good report on them from my mate John Mills (of the NE Mafia....). I might put the tips on them but that's all, I am still nursing my bum back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No shed. Main activity will be vacuuming, very carefully!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was a busy day yesterday following a poor nights sleep. We arrived home after 1.00 am so it was nearly 2.00 by the time we got to bed. To use a well known phrase , I was overtired, did not sleep well and was awake at 6.00 as my body was still on French time. The day consisted of washing, collecting my sewing machine from its repair and service , sorting out stuff for a demo I am giving at craft on Friday , and then finished on a double session of pilates followed by yoga...a very calming yoga session with a long relaxation session built in. I needed it. Today will be less strenuous!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds sensible..... I shall be vacuuming shortly, I have put it off long enough!
Later at 09:00. It's done and I have managed to avoid any trauma to my back. Now I'm having a minute or two to sit down and recover. Us old folk do that you know..... Then off out with Jack for his second trot.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is be kind to my back day! One of these days I'll learn not to lift heavy weights!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So my sewing machine is beautifully repaired. Its lovely and smooth and quiet! I managed an alteration on one of Julias dresses in no time at all. No clonking.
No particular plans today, art is still on a half term holiday. I have yoga this evening. I shall take it as it comes.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good. Nothing like finding someone who knows what they are doing and let them give you a service.... I love breathing on a piece of machinery that needs TLC and restoring it to health. Many a time better than when it came out of the factory even.
"Restoring back to health"... I'm still doing that with my back. It was worse than I thought and as I get older I heal more slowly. Bugger! But there you are, I am being sensible, lots of rest and normal exercise walking, no shed. It will come to eventually!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Craft today then meeting Adam, Claire and Erin for lunch.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Commiserations re your back, Stanley.
Finally some sunshine here today after a chilly, grey week. Didn't have to bundle up with mittens and scarf and coat for our walk...liberating!
I think everything aches more in the cold. Less complaints today! Amazing how sunshine raises the spirit.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And how rain lowers them Marilyn😫
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Maz, it will pass. Unlike your case I have no pain as long as I restrict myself to what I do. You and Sue are both right about the weather affecting how you feel and your attitude. At the moment grey and colder than normal is not helping!
Not watching Canadian Grand Prix qualifying as it is on too late. It will do tomorrow on catch up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

If this rain continues I shall have hostas the size of trees. The Lakes next week, rain forecast as usual. We are thinking of selling our timeshare, it must be the wettest year of the week! Bob is off to Liverpool for a meeting, I was going too but my sister is revising for an exam so no lunch meet up, and I don’t want to spend three hours walking about in the rain.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds sensible Sue! I have had a short foray into the shed, nothing strenuous, but useful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are hoping the weather holds tomorrow for a bike ride in the morning.
Then I have plans to get the sewing machine out...unless Ancestry gets me in its clutches instead. ( I have soooo much filing to do and tidying of files. Our billiard table is swamped in disorganised piles of paper. I keep making attempts to clear it all up, but I get absorbed by it and don't make a lot of progress with the filing :laugh5: ).
A holiday Monday here as we celebrate the Queen's Birthday. No word of any visitors yet, so maybe we will be spared. ( word must have got round that I am not keen on cooking at present). :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

wettest year of the week! ..........
Did you notice the mistake on my last posting. Of course I mean wettest week of the year. Apart from today that is :smile:

Our garden pond with the leak that was empty is now full to its limit and it isn’t a small pond. The tree we replanted the day before yesterday is floating in its hole...but I think it might have stopped raining at last.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed Sue but it was obvious what you meant. I know that the weather is not Flaming June but the rain was actually needed by many growers. Keep that in mind and look forward to a hoped for improvement!
I shall be pursuing my 'be kind to my back' campaign and that could include a short potter in the shed as too much sitting doesn't help. Standing, walking or lying down are the best things for me at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Heavy rain like this is good for the growers yes but it smashes the plants and destroys the flowers, so it depends on what part of the plant is to be eaten really. Mine is a June garden but there is next to nothing left to flower after the last two days. The poppies that were just opening are in bits on the ground and the roses and peony buds will now rot. The only thing doing well are hostas which are just sending up their flower shoots. I have masses and masses of vegetation and a very green garden. In fact I went to the garden centre yesterday and bought some later flowering plants. So there I was in the pouring rain and with garden mud oozing over my shoes planting said plants in the hope that something will flower later. Afterwards everything I was wearing including coat had to go in the washer.

Today its off to the Lakes where 70% chance of rain is forecast most days. We have one social visit planned and another to be planned. I like to meet up with an old university friend who lives near Sellafield. Otherwise it will be museums and the like if the rain is too heavy to do any walking. This is the 13th year and we have only had one good week and a handful of good days. Last year we caught the train to Carlisle from Windermere which was a good day out. It was even sunny that day, and there is always the steam railway the Ravensglass and Eskdale. If its not too bad it can be spectacular to walk up to the various waterfalls but high mountain walks are not a good idea.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is a school of thought that says that the beauties of the Lake District can only be fully appreciated if viewed through a thin veil of falling rain..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We did our bike ride this morning as the weather was perfect for it. Rode for an hour ( don't ask for distance, Panbiker, as I couldn't tell you). We did the coastal path again, but went further today. It was really good fun. My doctor is thrilled that I am back to bike riding - he didn't expect such a good outcome. Our new bikes are pedal assisted (or throttle assisted) electric bikes, but most of the time we ride them as normal bikes. I appreciate the help on the hills though. Gosh they can go fast! Scares me a bit, because I still harbour a fear of having a spill and hurting my back, but the more we ride, the fear diminishes of course. You can't live your life worrying about things that might happen.
I MUST buy some padded bike riders pants though. My backside is sore! I will hide the padding with a long T-shirt... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the old days.... Riders in the Tour de France used to insert a raw steak strategically in their underwear and swore by it. No mention of what happened to the tenderised steaks afterwards.....
My back is slowly recovering. I am not pushing it but after a bit of cooking I shall have an hour in the shed with my new cutters. It's a blessed relief! Just in time too because I expect US visitors on Thursday.
Later, I've started the day by cooking onion and tomato.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”