ENERGY MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Still dries the clothes on the kitchen rack...... Cheaper and safer than a Whirlpool Dryer! (LINK)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We have a Indesit dryer part of the whirlpool brand, It gives excellent performance and when offered an upgrade repair or a new machine at a reduced price we elected to have it repaired. The engineer came with a completely new backplate which put more tension on the sealing features and replaced any other working parts that were showing any signs of wear. There had been no ingress of fluff so the machine had always been safe in that respect. I can understand peoples concerns because there is no indication to the user that the machine could be dangerous. As far as I was concerned the recall system worked OK but a bit on the slow side.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

June bill is in from BG. £51 and it will be paid by the 14th. I do like this way of doing things.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to see that more is being said about this aspect of electric cars...
`Electric cars 'will not solve transport problem,' report warns' LINK

At the same time, this news appears...
`'Grave concern' as sales of low emission cars fall' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard a man on R4 yesterday banging on about the need for more fast charging points and he finished by saying "We need an Action Plan!".
Oh no we don't, what we need is ACTION!! There are far too many 'plans' and 'consultations' these days, just a way of passing the buck and kicking the can down the road. (Enough dodgy metaphors?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad someone pointed out that charging points are no good if someone parks in front of them. If they set aside spaces in the streets for charging then there will more parking spaces created elsewhere - and that's already a major problem in towns like ours.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Someone pointed out yesterday that the income from the duty and VAT on fuel (which is a considerable amount) will have to be replaced. He suggested that the only way to do it would be to monitor use of vehicles, and introduce road use charges. That would nowadays be quite easy to do, and be adjustable (upwards of course) for location and time of day too. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Once we have driverless cars (i.e. computer-driven cars) Big brother will know where every car is at any given time, perhaps even who is in it too. I suppose at least that might be handy for crime-fighting and for keeping `illegals' off the road.

Did you see the news that silent electric cars will be required to be fitted with artificial `noise' to make it easier for pedestrians to hear them coming? But it will only be new cars, will only work when the car is going at less than 18mph and will be capable of being switched off by the driver. Sounds like a fudge to me! :smile:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 16:05 Once we have driverless cars (i.e. computer-driven cars) Big brother will know where every car is at any given time, perhaps even who is in it too. I suppose at least that might be handy for crime-fighting and for keeping `illegals' off the road.

Did you see the news that silent electric cars will be required to be fitted with artificial `noise' to make it easier for pedestrians to hear them coming? But it will only be new cars, will only work when the car is going at less than 18mph and will be capable of being switched off by the driver. Sounds like a fudge to me! :smile:
Didn't trams used to have gongs for much the same reasons. Given that most electrics sound like demented milk floats a decent throaty roar linked to accelerator posisition from a sound chip sounds preferable, my own present petrol car is always quiet when moving off when I can do it on tickover in first or second, the gearbox is more noisy than the engine.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 02:59 I heard a man on R4 yesterday banging on about the need for more fast charging points and he finished by saying "We need an Action Plan!".
Oh no we don't, what we need is ACTION!! There are far too many 'plans' and 'consultations' these days, just a way of passing the buck and kicking the can down the road. (Enough dodgy metaphors?)
BP and Shell are fitting fast charge (Shell Recharge I saw today) at their forecourts, you probably have to go into the adjoining m&s/ little waitrose for a coffee while the car is charging enough to get to the next recharge station.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hadn't thought about Fuel Duty.... Road charges sound logical, it used to be called Road Fund Tax in olden days, or they could tax tyres, that's mileage based. Bells on trams were warning of approach like horns on cars, trams were noisy enough to be heard. We used to stamp on the bell pedal in the floor as we were getting off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 02:56 Hadn't thought about Fuel Duty....
Its about 70p per litre -so more than half of the pump price goes to the Revenue.

Extracted from From the Office of Budget Responsibility -

"Fuel duties are levied on purchases of petrol, diesel and a variety of other fuels. They represent a significant source of revenue for government. In our latest forecast, we expect fuel duty to raise £28.4 billion in 2019-20. That would represent 3.5 per cent of all receipts and is equivalent to £1,000 per household and 1.3 per cent of national income. The headline rate on standard petrol and diesel has been frozen since 2011-12 at 57.95 pence per litre. VAT is applied after fuel duty, so, for example, the pump price of a litre of petrol currently reflects the pre-tax price plus 57.95p for fuel duty plus 20 per cent VAT on the pre-tax price being a further 11.59p."
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another concern about driverless cars is that if the owner goes into town and can't find a parking space he/she will send the car off wandering around town on its own while he/she has a haircut or whatever. That raises the question - will we be able to send out an empty driverless car on its own, e.g to collect little Billy from school?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

For the school run that might be better than the current model where the mums or dads, (apparently without legs) park wherever they like. Double yellows, zig zags, pavement, disabled bays. I say no legs as many don't even get out of the car they sit there with the engine running on their mobiles texting their mates.

Personally I would make it illegal to drive a child to school, let them walk if in town and any of the little dears that cant manage or live too far away bring them on a school bus. Worked in the 60's so why not now? Would aid the environment and keep the kids fitter, both a bit of a priority in my view.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Clearly getting everybody to go electric would be impossible in the short term. Some transport types, Taxis, local delivery vans, plus the smaller buses would have off street facilities for charging and would already be keeping records of mileage per vehicle. Some financial incentives may be required but it would be a start.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Many/most people do the school run because the roads are too busy to be considered safe for the kids to walk. Yep, its self defeating and dripping in irony, welcome to the world.

I'm of the opinion (along with most scientists) that electric cars are only a partial solution and the real problem is too many privately owned cars. Solutions on the back of a sealed envelope to......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My solution as above, anyone rocking up in a private car with their little dear should have the car confiscated and crushed. Ticks all the boxes, reduces the number of cars on the road one way or the other. Kids are safer walking and healthier, win, win. :extrawink:

Combine with the electric bus and the school run debate is sorted.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I struggle to see why people need to drive their kids to school in Barlick, everywhere is within easy walking distance...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Exactly Kev, when I was at Barlick Modern in the 60's the catchment area was all of West Craven and including as far out as Gargrave. There was one bus from Earby that picked up at Sough, Kelbrook and Salterforth. Most of the kids from Kelbrook and Salterforth just walked. The other bus came from Skipton via Gargrave, Broughton, East and West Marton and Thornton. Thornton kids either went down into Earby or to Marton Road end to catch the bus. Parsons and Pilkington kids from the end of Brogden used to get a lift to the Barlick end of Brogden Lane and then walked with the rest of the kids from the Syke. Same when I was at Gisburn Road Juniors, I can only remember one lad coming by taxi but he was partially disabled with leg braces. Nothing has changed apart from unfounded paranoia and the extra traffic caused by the school run in the 8-9am slot.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never thought about sending driverless cars on their own, logical!
I agree with all of you. Smug B Stanley doesn't have a car of course and walks everywhere.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Many schools are preventing parking nearby but it's more to with air pollution than exercise. The law of unintended consequences comes into play - they park a bit further away and the residents there have to suffer the pollution and traffic jams. People living in our neighbourhood complain to the council about cars parked all day, five days a week, reducing the streets to a single lane and blocking drives, as the car owners work in town but the council won't do anything because it would only shift the same problem elsewhere.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Parking.... I well remember in the 1980s when Peter Dawson and I had the power to influence the design and build of the proposed hotel at Ellenroad we collaborated with three different developers over about five years and both leaned a lot. The major problem with all three was the mandatory parking space provision and we spent more time solving those problems than anything else. We both got very frustrated but there was nothing we could do to avoid it. In the end all three initiatives failed for a variety of problems but car parking was definitely the biggest factor. Definitely a learning curve and I pity anyone still faced with the same problem.
[The other one was disabled access and that was almost as bad!]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

On another thread I see Stanley has shown pics of the lorries running on gas during the war. I notice BP has recently taken full page ads in the newspapers to tell us that it's moving into ethanol fuel in a big way. I couldn't find anything much on the Web but the Times web site had this: `BP is to expand its Brazilian biofuels business by combining it with a larger rival in a move that it said would help the transition to lower-carbon energy. The FTSE 100 energy group is merging its operations producing ethanol from sugarcane in Brazil with those of Bunge, the US agricultural company. The combined business, known as BP Bunge Bioenergia, will be a 50-50 joint venture and rank as the second biggest biofuel company in Brazil.'

I wonder if they'll be burning down more ancient forests to plant the sugar cane?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good news for the sugar industry, if we can't eat it we may as well run our cars on it :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Q8 petrol stations (remember them?) sold a bio diesel quite a bit cheaper than standard diesel. The only problem at that time was that the high pressure pump on the diesel engines didn't always have the correct type of seals and would start to leak. A very expensive repair because of the mechanics time that was involved.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”