Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Ian. Dad's Taxi Service back in full swing then now.....
I've just arrived in Pernambuco with Joshua.
Jack is scratching, must pop into the vets for a flea treatment this morning. Just in case!
Ready for wet walks today.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

An hour bent over, cleaning leaf littler from under plants in the front garden. Half filled the green bin.
That will do for today...I am still stiff from planting bulbs on the weekend.
Looking forward to a pub meal tonight...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You might have missed this Maz!!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14857&p=139077#p139077
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its our turn for a wet day today. Itis still looking dark outside and the rain keeps coming down in heavy bursts. Its well needed and should both water the garden and fill the water butts. I feel a bit of a craft and activity day coming on with Erin.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a similar day Sue, very gloomy at times in the middle of the day. Almost dark in the kitchen at 16:00.
I shall be aiming for an hour in the shed and then after a short walk with Jack I have to call Matthew Engels who is writing a new book and wants to suck my brains on weavers and the textile industry. Nice to know I am still in demand......
I am in Australia now with Joshua Slocum and we are having a stop-off in Tasmania.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

After a very wet start the day was not too bad although it was very windy. The wind destroyed my prize 6 foot sunflower that was about to flower and nearly flattened my corn , the latter is now tied to the hedge behind it! Today we are off to the beach.

My cold is just about better, just a nasty thick cough left.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look after it Sue! Have a nice day on the beach. That is not an option in Barlick.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was a bit of a British day on the beach, cloudy, cool and then the heavens opened but luckily we were inside eating lunch. Warmer tomorrow. Next week, low 20s and rain most of the week. A week of the activities I brought over eg sewing, book writing and knitting. Bob will be doing the ensuite before our next guests arrive on the 15 th
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 03:23 Ian. Dad's Taxi Service back in full swing then now.....
Don't have much call for that now with both Carla and Jack being fully independent. Having said that as soon as I told the kids I had my licence back Jack booked me for taking him and his girlfriend to Leeds Bradford airport when they go off on their hols. Not for a while yet, t'other side of our North Wales trip. Quite a civilised hour as well, it's and afternoon flight so no getting up at silly o'clock. :extrawink: Can't complain, Jack has run us to Manchester loads of times when we have been Greek Island exploring. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tidied up some Ancestry files this morning...boredom threshold rapidly reached...but at least I can see my desk now AND I found 5 biros!
Weather seems to be improving, so looking to tipping Febby out of his computer chair and dragging him out for a walk.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bob must have reached professional standards now with his plumbing! You certainly keep him occupied.
Sounds like a Blackpool day on the beach, I used to love seeing all the wind breaks set up and everyone creating the sitting room at home facing out into the Irish Sea.
I got an hour in the shed but was on the phone for 90 minutes with Matthew Engels. (His dime I might add!)
I aim for an hour in the shed and a bit of light shopping today plus the usual activities.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Another cloudy day forecast, but warm at 28 degrees. Its the families last day before returning on the ferry tomorrow. What a fast week. Not the best weather but warm enough and dry enough for Erin to play in the garden paddling pool, which is actually quite big. She has gained confidence at floating and swimming underwater. Today we are using the pizza oven Bob built so its home made pizzas making, shopping for things to take home and more play in the pool.

I know what you mean about Blackpool Stanley. In our case no wind breaks just a lot of huddled french families sitting on the beach. They didn’t last long. Erin and Adam flew their kite as conditions were perfect.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trust kids to make the best of it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Getting ready for our bucket and spade jolly down to the Llyn peninsula. Will need to check the car and generally pull all the kit and caboodle together. Silsden grandchildren will be deposited here sometime today and they will stay over ready for the off tomorrow. A day in hand ensures we have all their essentials before swanning off down the road. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Eeeee... Both you (and Sue) make it sound so easy. Bless you guys for enjoying the grandkids. ( but you must grit your teeth at times)
I take my hat off, to folk who dedicate time/patience/love to grandkids. It is SO important in their lives.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:45 Eeeee... Both you (and Sue) make it sound so easy. Bless you guys for enjoying the grandkids. ( but you must grit your teeth at times)
I take my hat off, to folk who dedicate time/patience/love to grandkids. It is SO important in their lives.
I just love them all to bits Maz , but as you say sometimes...........!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

When we first started with taking them on holiday we used to recover with a week on a Greek beach somewhere. Not done that for a while since Sally was robbed of her pension. Might be light at the end of the tunnel to get back to that in another couple of years. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wish Sally and you well Ian but it might be a hell of a long tunnel.
Shopping at the butchers today and I have to start writing again for the BET, that could be the picture for a few days.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Adam, Claire and Erin have left fot the ferry, just as the dawn mist was rising and the cock crowing. Its quiet and as usual I am starting to feel homesick. It usually happens about the 3-4 th week and always as our guests leave.

It promises to be a good day. I shall strip the beds and wash the towels and bedding. This morning we have a lady coming to collect a chair to recover it. Its an old chair which has been in the family for years. The stuffing is falling out of the base and the fabric is old and shabby, but I promised my Dad I would not get rid of it. It had belonged to my great great grandmother who bought it at a house auction in Burnley circa 1903. It would have been worth something except my great aunt, who owned it once, did not like the scroll on its back and cut it off! I think it was Queen Ann style. Anyway its having a modern makeover but I am not changing the mahogany wood as it goes nicely with the old french furniture we bought at a brocante over here
CAF8F5B0-DF62-4611-9CA9-58EC4119CCCE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It will look good Sue when it has been breathed on. Lovely shape and I'll bet it's high quality Mahogany, there was a lot coming into the country at that time. It was the age of the fine furniture from firms like Gillows at Lancaster.
Keep busy, the homesickness will fade...... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Has that chair got short legs? Could just be the camera angle - but short legged chairs were referred to as nursing chairs (as in feeding baby).
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It appears it need a complete repair underneath . The whole thing is going to cost far more than it is worth but what value sentimentality.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 09:29 It appears it need a complete repair underneath . The whole thing is going to cost far more than it is worth but what value sentimentality.
We have had similar chairs recovered at a small fabric shop in Colne. (Swankies of Colne). Good selection of material. They also do bespoke furniture so repairs is well within his capabilities. These things are never cheap but we thought them acceptable.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, forget the cost. You will have a unique chair and the satisfaction that you kept your promise. You can't put a price on that!
One more small task in the shed and then writing will commence!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I looked at the Swankies website. It looks fabulous. I like their curtains and pelmets and fabrics.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”