MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Glad he's doing well. Much better treatment than in the old days! Love the fact he went AWOL!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

He's very frustrated that he can't use his arm today but he's still smiling :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well I never, all dressed up and nowhere to go! Rocked up at the dentists for my 08.20 appointment for my filling replacement and got bounced! That's a first, apparently they are suffering an equipment malfunction in Eva's surgery. Re scheduled for next Thursday but at a more amenable time 10.50.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've just had the reminder to make an appointment for a check up.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They are usually quite good at the reminder texts for appointments etc. I got one yesterday offering me a cancellation slot but I wasn't in a position to accept that one. I think the equipment must have failed today as I am pretty sure they would have let me know otherwise. No worries, I have no pain so can manage for another week.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a coincidence. (Does it qualify as spooky David?) I rang Airedale to check if Monday's cystoscopy was still on as it has been arranged so long and changed once already. The lady said it was still firm. I know they are short staffed....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 08:15 I've just had the reminder to make an appointment for a check up.
I made the call yesterday afternoon, appointment is this morning :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's good service!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I was impressed. Checkup, a bit of scale scraped off the back of a molar and a sharp edge ground down a bit (should stop me keep biting the inside of my cheek) all for £22 :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My partially missing filling has left a sharp edge which is irritating my cheek lining also Kev. Hopefully it will be sorted next Thursday. :smile:

We both got our appointments for our flu jabs by text the other day. I'm in clinic C on the 29th of this month for mine.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

God! is it flu jab time again?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz got a text about flu jabs before we went on holiday and we made appointments immediately. Make sure you get yours booked soon; it's too easy to get dropped of the list and overlooked if you don't...and with Brexit around the corner (or not) it's best to play safe and get a jab early on. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Good news in the fight against cancer...
`'Revolutionary' new class of cancer drugs approved' LINK
`A "revolutionary" new class of cancer drug that can treat a wide range of tumours has been approved for use in Europe for the first time. Tumour-agnostic drugs do not care where the cancer is growing in the body as long as it has a specific genetic abnormality inside. UK doctors testing the drugs said they were "a really exciting thing". They said the approach had the potential to cure more patients and cut side-effects....'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The advances in gene-centred tailoring of drugs to the individual patient is to my mind as important as the advent of antibiotics. You're right Tiz, it is excellent news!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I had a consultation with Mr Shankar at Gisburne Park Hospital yesterday afternoon. The Latanoprost drops I have been using for the last month have worked and the pressure in my eyes has reduced considerably. He confirmed that there is no damage to my optic nerve and my eyes are healthy but he wants to see the pressure lowered further to avoid problems developing. If the drops I'm using don't do that then I can add another type of drop to the mix or consider laser treatment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like progress Wendy and you must be relieved. I hope it goes well and who knows, it came suddenly and might go away just as rapidly. You will be getting regular tests I am sure.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 07:41 Sounds like progress Wendy and you must be relieved. I hope it goes well and who knows, it came suddenly and might go away just as rapidly. You will be getting regular tests I am sure.
I'm very relieved, and pleased that I made the decision to go privately as it would have been into 2020 before I would have been seen in the NHS system.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good news Wendy looks like you may have a resolution there.

Back in NHS land I have just received an appointment for my next MRI scan. Earlier than expected as I thought it would be January. Like my last one it's at Jimmy's (St. James's) in Leeds but not in the mobile unit this time. I'm in the Bexley wing which holds the main radiology department for the site with PET, CT and MRI scanners. It's on a Sunday as well 20th October and at a very civilised time of 2:50 pm. Plenty of time to get there via the train and the bus service. Doesn't say whether it's a contrasted scan but I would assume so. Will have to check the bus service with it being a Sunday should be OK from the city centre. :smile:

Dentist later this morning for my filling sorting.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Early intervention is the way to go, Wendy, I'm glad to hear your experience is positive! :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Dentist went OK, different from the last time I had filling maintenance. I remember last time, multiple injections around the area to be treated. Today's procedure only involved a single injection allowed to marinate for a few minutes while Eva did a bit of scaling. Drilling out and the replacement of the filling completely painless. So much so I still cant feel half my mouth. Very weird drinking when you cant feel the cup on your lips. :smile: Starting to wear off a bit now, Eva said it would be about two to three hours, cheaper than I thought as well, £39.40 my contribution to the cost of the session. I'll put the grinning guy on as I'm sorted now for a while. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can remember the days when the injection was straight cocaine. Never noticed any feelings of euphoria!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Bacterial 'striptease' evades antibiotics' LINK
This gives us a new perspective on how some bacteria are evading antibiotics. Many antibiotics work by interfering with the structure or creation of the bacterial cell wall. The cell wall is important for the integrity of the cell by protecting the membrane but also is necessary for cell division and therefore reproduction. The Newcastle university scientists have found that the bacteria they studied can slip out of the cell wall structure and live for a while without the wall's protection. Most will die quickly but some survive longer and even manage to divide and thus prolong an infection. My PhD supervisor would have loved this story. He was a microbial biochemist born in Newcastle and educated at the university. I can still remember him in the 1960s explaining to us students how antibiotics worked. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They're clever little buggers aren't they! They can evolve so fast that it makes you wonder if, in the end, they will beat us. Perhaps H G Wells was more accurate than he could imagine when he used microbial infection as the nemesis of the invaders from Mars in his 'War of the Worlds'.
Is this unseen war against infection the ultimate problem? Are we doing enough? :smile:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 12:07 cheaper than I thought as well, £39.40 my contribution to the cost of the session.
Just reviewed my payment for this dental session and realised that the price I was given is actually the sum of the two sessions, my 6 monthly check and then the treatment session.
PanBiker wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 18:42 We both got our appointments for our flu jabs by text the other day. I'm in clinic C on the 29th of this month for mine.
Never happened in previous years but the flu jabs this year made both of us feel a little bit "off" on Saturday night. Weak and weary with a slight feeling of nausea. Both ready for our bed, all OK after a good nights sleep.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”