TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

We've just been out for our second walk. The wind is rising and it's cold, wet and 'orrible!! end of report.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Same here on the latest journey in our van. Cold rain all day, with intense winds. Tonight, we are parked about 100 paces from the loos...and it is a teeth gritting walk.
I keep hanging on until the wind calms down, but the rain never seems to stop.
Lord knows what Bass Strait( and the ferry crossing) will be like tomorrow night. Might have to sleep with a life vest on and a torch embedded in one hand..
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Now we have hail...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody hell Maz, that's worse than our weather! But you will have sun before we do....
Yesterday was cold and wet, at 20:00 it was calmer, dry and cold. This morning it's calm, overcast and cold but dry. The glass rose very slowly all day and is on a shade under 998mb this morning. The forecast is for a dry cold day with sunny spells. The constant N wind is moderate giving a high of 6C and a low of -2 with a wind chill of as much as -4C most of the day. Wrap up well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I would describe this current weather as Biblical.
A great time for the oil warning light to come on too! We sourced the correct oil, but had to sit the storm front out before we could pop the bonnet and top up the oil.
All good now. Raining heavily with occasional hail, but we are headed for the ferry.
(I really don't fancy this night crossing at all)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope it's better than you fear Maz...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, we had a good walk to the butcher's under a clear sky, it was dry and the North wind is cold. As we came back some scattered cloud was coming in but still plenty of clear sky.
From the news reports and forecasts we seem to have been very lucky, over the hill in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire there are multiple flood warnings and it is still raining heavily as the centre of the low moves down the North Sea. We expect some sun today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a light shower in mid afternoon but other than that, a dry day. At 20:00 it was clearing, dry, very cold and a light breeze. First thing this morning a clear starry sky but with some thin bands of high cloud, a light breeze and very cold. It's still the same and we have a sharp frost. The glass glass rose slowly all day yesterday but has dropped back a bit during the night to 1004mb, I suspect it's still falling slowly. The forecast is for a dry day but cloudy and very cold. The constant east wind is light but strengthens a bit in the middle of the day giving a high of 4C and a low of 0C with a -4C wind chill at its strongest. The effect is that it will feel like freezing all day so wrap up well. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Bushfire Crisis in QLD and NSW. 81 Fires.
NSW have 2 people dead, 7 missing and 35 injured. More than 150 homes destroyed to date.
And this is just the beginning of the fire season.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just been listening to the reports on Radio 4 Cathy. One thing we don't have to contend with in Barlick thank God!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back from a decent walk. Calm, dry and cold, we have broken cloud. There is a sharp frost and you can feel it underfoot, no problem, the good soles on my new boots were a good move. The same applies to the roads as well because as far as I can see the Council haven't salted so bear that in mind if you are driving, it won't get a lot better. Not a bad walk at all!
Looking at the latest forecast later there is an outside chance of a bit of sleet or snow. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Got up late in sunny south london but noted the frost on the flats rooves and other areas, I have a feeling this is one of the colder early Novembers I can recall for some years. Tomorrows wind wont make up its mind, northerly down the east cost, easterly through the midlands then southerly (but will be cold), up the west pennines.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had very light rain in the afternoon, no more than spots in the wind. Very cold wind. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and dry. Same first thing this morning but the thin overcast is well broken. Still cold and dry but I can see some stars in the west now. The glass has risen slightly to 1007mb. The forecast is is for a dry clear day with long sunny spells. The wind is light and variable, starts as NE and ends the day as SE but swings into the west for a time in between. High of 6C and a low of 3C with a wind chill of -2C most of the day. Looks as though we start the day with a frost. The outlook is for similar cold weather, tomorrow and Tuesday we might get the odd shower. I get the feeling we are not far off the first snow shower of the season.
06:00. A pleasant walk on a clear, calm frosty morning. The large emitters are in place in the Town Square, the small ones are in place on shops and those on Pad 2 Let at the top of Butts and all those on Steele's offices opposite the Majestic are already lit. The Polish supermarket on Church Street has bitten the dust, the shop is empty. (I have been forgetting to mention that!)
The street sweeper is about early, he has already coned off the area round the War Memorial.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have weird weather again ...
Today a glorious 22C :)
Monday 33C :(
Tuesday 17C :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'd give our eye teeth for any of them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold but fine. (Saw David Whipp in long trousers at the War Memorial. That's a first!) At 20:00 it was overcast, calm and dry. First thing this morning we had cold hard rain and a light breeze, still the same.... The glass fell all day yesterday and is now on 992mb. The forecast is simple, cold and wet all day, rain easing later tonight. The west wind is constant and moderate gusting at times to 35mph. The high will be 6C and the low 3C. The bad news is the wind chill, depending on the wind strength it will be up to -5C, never less than -4C. Not a good day to be outside in, proper November weather! The outlook is drier but just as cold.
05:55. Not a nice walk! The only good thing is that the wind hasn't got up yet so the wind chill hasn't kicked in. Cold rain all the way and Jack needed a good rub down when we came in. Wrap up well, this is going to be with us for most of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

For those concerned or interested about the Bushfires in NSW or QLD go to
RFS nsw gov au or RFS qld gov au
or Australian Bushfire news feeds
NSW - State of Emergency- Catastrophic Level.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a welcome dry spell in the morning but it was a bitter cold wind all day. I put my Damart vest on after my daytime sleep. At 20:00 we had broken cloud and cold rain. First thing this morning we have a cold wind and light rain. The glass is down on 987mb. The forecast is for rain until late morning then cloudy. The constant WNW wind is moderate and gusting to 40mph at times. The high is 6C and the low 0C with as much as -6C wind chill when the wind is strongest, it will feel like below zero for most of the day. Wrap up well, it's November! The outlook is for similar cold weather, perhaps a bit less rain.
05:50. Just a short walk round the Green, bugger the exercise! It's a horrible morning. A gusty strong wind is blowing heavy rain , I say rain but it is very close to sleet. I wasn't just thinking about Jack, even though I had good gear on my legs were getting wet and it would have been foolish to do our full walk. Jack has emptied himself, is rubbed down and sausaged. I have a hot pot of tea and might have a whisky as well. Hopefully later the rain will have eased. I feel sorry for anyone who has got to work in this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our second walk. Total transformation, the wind has dropped, the skies are clear and it's dry. Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

After the rain, just as the clouds were clearing....
20191112_081856.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What's going on in the field over the wall Wendy?
Main feature when it had cleared up was how cold that wind was! At 20:00 it was still dry, broken cloud and a cold wind. First thing this morning it was clear, cold, a light breeze and a brilliant full moon. Still the same but even colder. I think we will end up with a frost. The glass is up just a bit on 994mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is for a partly cloudy day with a chance of a shower late morning. (Rain is going to be heavier to the SE and strike the flooded areas again) The wind is light and variable, starts in the west and ends the day in the east. High of 5C and a low of 2C with a -3C wind chill most of the day. The outlook shows no change during the next week. November!
05:55. Back from a healthy walk. Calm, frosty and clear with a brilliant moon. Not bad for the time of year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's long stubble dying off Stanley, I'm never sure whether it's wheat or barley grown in that field every year but it's usually ploughed and resown straight after harvesting. As you can see the field was already too wet this year.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bitter cold in the wind yesterday but dry. At 20:00 it was breezy, broken cloud and dry, very cold. Same first thing this morning, not as much wind yet but the cloud is high and thin, the moon shows through it. I've just looked outside, the cloud is heavier and we've had a light rain shower. The glass fell to 990mb during the night but is rising slowly and on 991mb now. The forecast is for an overcast but bright and dry day. The constant NE wind will soon rise to moderate and gusty all day. The high will be 5C and the low 4C with as much as -5C wind chill when it's strongest. It will feel very cold all day so once again, wrap up warm!
06:10. Back in the warm! Dry, apart from an odd spot of rain, an occasional glimpse of the moon through broken cloud and the wind has started to increase, when you get it full face it's numbing cold.
I note the Cross Keys has full Xmas lighting on the frontage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our second walk on the Green and the forecast was correct about the wind chill, it's bitter out there! Mind you, I cut my hair this morning because it was time and that hasn't helped things! Thank god for Thinsulate beanies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”