Mobile Phones

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Tizer »

I think it's this Motorola g7 on John Lewis: LINK

Stanley, Mrs Tiz might need to step up from her G3 to the one you have so I'd be grateful if you could try out your new phone with the steps I showed in the photos above to see if it works for transferring photos with the USB cable. Thanks. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I think it's this Motorola g7 on John Lewis: I liked the look of it especially the big screen for my fat fingers. 6.2 " a tad big for carrying round but it will fit in my handbag. 'Girls will be boys and boys will be girls' The Kinks.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Big keyboard, yes and even I can use it!
Will have a look at cable method when I have woken up Tiz.
Remember I know nothing but I think you lot steered me to the right one, I'm getting into it now.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I am so impressed with what you are doing Stanley, I'm a bit rubbish at that sort of thing.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all trial and error Gloria. I am sure I am now signed into all sorts of odd and dangerous things like the Cloud!
Tiz, I tried the Moto method of transferring pics but couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it is effective but I am doing something wrong somewhere.
Apart from the size of the screen the other thing that amazes me is the battery capacity. According to the reviews you can stream films continuously for 26 hours! I have only managed to get it down to 72% capacity so far and I recharged it.
A question about Lithium ion batteries. Is it better for the battery to let it almost discharge completely before charging it? I have a vague though in the back of my mind that some batteries have a 'memory' and frequent charging reduces their capacity.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 04:15 I have a vague though in the back of my mind that some batteries have a 'memory' and frequent charging reduces their capacity.
That'll be Ni-Cad batteries...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lithium Ion (Lion) and Lithium polymer (Lipo) batteries are not subject to memory effect and are very resilient. Ideal for "on the hoof" charging. They do need a special charger which monitors the potential and will vary the current during charging. The better chargers for single cell Lithium types can charge multiple cells of different types and voltages and independently charge and monitor each one. They reduce the current to almost zero when they detect the charge cut off point of each cell. From a mobile phone point of view, with my daily use I generally charge it overnight. I Installed an odd socket with USB charging ports on when I replaced the kitchen which is very useful. I have put three such sockets into Jacks living room when I installed the new ring.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 04:15 Tiz, I tried the Moto method of transferring pics but couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it is effective but I am doing something wrong somewhere.
Strange. Are you able to pull down the notifications screen by touching and holding the top of the screen? And if so does it not offer you what I showed in those pics? I'm not asking this to try and persuade you to transfer your pics that way but because you need to know how to access that screen. Unless of course the model you've got doesn't have a notifications screen of that sort.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's an Android phone so it should have.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

If you sign in to chrome using the same credentials as your phone, the cloud google photos will automatically be available on the computer. No faffing it just works.

Or you can just share a link to pictures :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pi9Rish12a3kxJrz9
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes I can access notifications but can't see any help there. Give me up Tiz, I am missing something here!
Thanks on batteries.... I use the charger they sent with the phone and will charge it when it drops to about 50% which will take ages with my tiny usage.
Another question.... If I am sat next to my router and make a call does it go via the mast or the Router on wi-fi? In other words, does it affect my EE account?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 03:03 Yes I can access notifications but can't see any help there. Give me up Tiz, I am missing something here!
Thanks on batteries.... I use the charger they sent with the phone and will charge it when it drops to about 50% which will take ages with my tiny usage.
Another question.... If I am sat next to my router and make a call does it go via the mast or the Router on wi-fi? In other words, does it affect my EE account?
Standard calls will go via the mast. Any calls made using an 'app' such as Messenger or Skype will use wifi.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 03:03 Yes I can access notifications but can't see any help there. Give me up Tiz, I am missing something here!
Then it sounds like it isn't making a connection with the PC. When you switch the phone on and connect it to the Ubuntu PC with the USB cable does it show a Moto icon on the PC screen?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes but I couldn't get any joy out of it.
Contacts are building nicely by manual methods.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley, Mrs Tiz now has the same MotoG7 phone as you bought recently. It's easy to transfer photos from it to an Ubuntu PC by USB cable. It's essentially the same method I showed (using photos) that worked with Mrs Tiz's previous G3 but I've put some photos below showing it on the G7 because there is a slight difference which probably explains why you didn't manage it. I know you are probably doing it via the web now but give this a try, exactly in the order of steps as described. I've transferred photos via the web using Google Drive but I still find the USB method better for my purposes.

How to transfer photos from a Moto G7 smartphone to an Ubuntu PC using a USB cable:
*Plug the phone's USB cable into your PC.
*Switch on the phone and swipe it to unlock it.
*Now plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
*Use your finger to pull down the notifications at the top of the phone screen - keep pulling it down until you see `Charging this device by USB' (Fig.1).
*Click that tiny `down arrow' after the word USB and you'll get `Charging this device via USB' (Fig.2). Tap on the words `Tap for more options'.
*That gives you the screen shown in Fig.3
*Click on the radio button for PTP (photo transfer protocol) to get the screen in Fig.4
*As that screen shows up on the phone you'll also see the window show up on your PC just as it does when you connect with a camera. (The phone doesn't retain this setting and you need to select PTP each time you connect it to your PC.)
*You can click on File Transfer if you want to transfer other types of file.
*Note that these `transfers' of photos are actually copy commands, not move commands, so the original photos will remain on your phone.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll try it Tiz.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to hear this. Mrs Tiz's new Moto G has a charger with a different shape at the phone end to her old phone, which I'm now using. So we have to keep two chargers around instead of just one.
`MEPs vote for universal charger for smartphones' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Surely it's only the charging leads that are different. Just swap out one of your double sockets for one with USB charging ports in. We only use our chargers if we go away and many places now have mains socket chargers. I will be doing the same when I sort a mains led for when we are camping. I got one from Aldi for the centre it had two USB ports and it has a built in WiFi extender it was about £6.99 from memory. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I agree about the sockets with USB ports, we intend to do that. I'm a bit puzzled about the chargers though. They have different figures on the transformers so I'm wary of swapping them over. For example, the early one has 5V = 2.0A, the later has 5V = 3.0A. Does this difference matter, will putting the old one on the higher value do any harm?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I found these in the drawer, very 'retro'.
20200202_121122.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:41 I agree about the sockets with USB ports, we intend to do that. I'm a bit puzzled about the chargers though. They have different figures on the transformers so I'm wary of swapping them over. For example, the early one has 5V = 2.0A, the later has 5V = 3.0A. Does this difference matter, will putting the old one on the higher value do any harm?
Depends on the spec of the Lithium battery in the phone. Lion batteries are a lot more forgiving than earlier types and have built in overcharge circuitry. As a rule of thumb though you should not try to force more current than the battery specs determine although a decent charger should cater for this. Most of the charge ports built into mains sockets seem to give around 2.0A - 3.0A of charge current at 5V. Takes my phone about 3 hours from total discharge to 100%.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That photo prompted me to have a quick stock check. Here's the result. According to ebay the Brick seems to have been a good investment, though that's not why I bought it. :smile:
IMG_20200202_133352.jpg
PS. - That photo doesn't include the Moto5G which is actually the one I used to take the photo. It's probably better than all the others combined. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that information, Ian. Our two chargers, at 2 and 3 amp should be safely interchangeable then.

Eight mobile phones, Tripps! You'll be able to open a museum soon. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I can't see a reply from me about image transfer. I tried it and failed and thought I had replied. This is almost certainly down to me and not the phone. As for the phone itself I am warming to it and I can see it being very useful eventually but I am not making it a project, just easing my way into it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”