Favourite Walks and Rambles

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by PanBiker »

With election campaigns and the like, not been out round the lanes for a while. Sally and the granddaughters are off shopping in Leeds, I dropped them off at the station this morning and have to pick them up around tea time. Had the day to myself so thought it would be a nice day for an ease back in walk round the lanes and fields. One of many exits around the Parrock and up Westgate to Town Head, onto Esp Lane and onward to just short of Moor Close. Took the stile through the field to Springs, footpath by the beck through to Hollins Lane. I turned left up the hill and on the corner at the top met a young couple, clutching a local guide book and climbing the field gate on the bend. I asked them if they were lost as they were not on a defined footpath, the gate is locked shut and it is not a public right of way. They showed me their map, it was Heathers Walks Around West Craven Vol 2. They were following walk number 22 which is a Weets circular and thought they were emerging onto Folly Lane!

It transpired that they are staying in a small self contained dwelling attached to one of the cluster of houses up Calf Hall. We struck up conversation and I said that they were somewhat off track, (two lanes North of where they should be). They were from London and have come for a few days of R & R. I said they would be running a bit late to do their intended walk today, (2.30pm) and offered to take them on a shorter loop. They agreed and decided to save the Weets loop for New Years Day. I told them how to get to Folly Lane via the end of Calf Hall Lane and suggested they started a little earlier in the day when they made their next attempt. We continued along Hollins and then took the path down the side of the field to Cow Pasture then down the field and over the beck returning via the Stables and Priory Way. I directed them back up over Monkroyd where they would pick up Calf Hall again. I returned home via Valley Gardens.

They should be OK come New Years Day, Heathers walks start from the Town Centre and as long as they exit via Westgate, Moorgate and Folly they should be right. Walk 22 loops for a return via Duckpond and is well described in the accompanying notes. I proof walked a few of these walks for Heather before she published the second volume.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Barnoldswick Hill Rescue.....
You could get funding for this Ian.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ha! but it shows how folk could get into bother. Setting off on a five to six mile circular on a route you have no knowledge of with an hours daylight left! They should be alright on New Years Day as long as they can find Moorgate, it's a traditional walk for lots of Barlickers on New Years Day so there are likely to be lots of folk on and around the hill. They were a nice young couple and had the nous to take local advice.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Went out for a walk as I was feeling a bit stiff. I think from my exertions in the confined space of our Jacks pantry last week. I installed the trunking and the last socket to power his IT kit. A lot of kneeling and crouching in the 2' 6" square floor area available to me.

I set off down Valley Gardens and along Priory Way to one escape route via he stables. I found out why I was feeling a bit stiff. I think I have aggravated both sciatic nerves as these were giving the most grief as I walked. Anyway, onwards and upwards through the fields to Cow Pasture. The fields were pretty claggy and my boots were caked by the time I got up onto the lane. I went up through the one time stock holding area and the side path up onto Hollins Lane. I had intended going up Dark Hill and onto Edge Lane but I was struggling a bit with the pain in my bum! Discretion the better part of valour so after washing the clag off my boots in the Dark Hill Well tributary at the side of the lane I continued along Hollins Lane and out onto Esp Lane. Down and back via Town Head, Westgate and Walmsgate. Only just over two miles and a bit of a toil but no doubt doing me good. No route from Endomondo as it's one done many times and already recorded in the thread.

One thing I noticed and one for Stanley. There is a fire hydrant sign right on the junction of Town Head and the top of Westgate. The hydrant point is 5 feet out in the middle of the lane. Did this junction have a well at one point? I would think there would have been a water source somewhere in the vicinity as it is one of the older areas of town.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hydrant. One of the mains from the bores at Whitemoor runs down Colne Road and it's a big one, Bancroft sprinkler system was a direct connection to it and a very big valve just outside the mill yard gate. I suspect the hydrant is on that. There was a well in the old chapel that stands where Esp Lane joins what is now Colne Road that was public access. Apart from that I can't say Ian.

Water Board cutting Bancroft supply off in 1979 after closure.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Lovely morning so a good day for a walk. We had to do a bit of tidying up at the centre this morning so we had a bit of lunch then togged up for our walk. Pretty cold outside so base layer, light fleece, windproof and gilet, beanie and fingerless gloves. We decided to do Weets and decide on our return route later according to conditions. Usual escape, round the Parrock, Westgate, Moorgate then Folly. A lot of the lane has been capped with concrete now and it soon became apparent that it was quite slippy up past the RDA stables then round the bends by Causeway Carr up to Standridge. We decided then that we would not come back on any of the routes that lead back to Folly as the temperature was bound to drop by the time we got back down. Didn't fancy skating down on the way back.

Looking ahead and glancing back once we got into the first field passed Standridge we could neither see the top of the field or indeed Barlick which seemed to have disappeared into the mist like Brigadoon! Visibility on the side of the hill was about 15 yards at best, good job we knew where we were going. Sun was trying it's best to shine through but seemed to be fighting a loosing battle. We pressed on up the Bronze Age banking, quite firm under foot and getting increasingly cooler as we gained height. The normal claggy bits were claggy but with a crust of ice. Not attempted Weet this year and I was finding it quite hard going, more of a challenge than a pleasurable walk. Nothing to see apart from the path ahead. We made it up to the trig and there was just enough wind to make it a bit nithering if you couldn't get your back to it.

We didn't linger long, nothing to see from the top. We tipped off over the side and down the Northern path off the hill, any other of the Southern or Eastern routes would have led us back down Follly so we decided to stick to the fields. Not been this way off the top since my operation so I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge. I wasn't wrong, coming down at 45 degrees with no functioning toes on my right foot, coupled with the muscle fatigue and drop foot ensured pretty tentative and careful steps, very tiring. We made it down into the valley which was very welcome, over the stream across the moor (happy I could remember which paths) stile was where it should be so over and a diagonal for the stile onto The Edge. Lots of sheep grazing who all scattered when we entered the field. A new fence has gone in here across the line of the path but a stile provided for the route. Field was very boggy lower down on the approach to Edge Lane. We made our way down over the cattle grids and then took the path by the marker stone (now only one, used to be two), to my favourite stile above Dark Hill. We came all the way down onto Hollins Lane then took the side path down to Cow Pasture, noticing that Barlick unlike Brigadoon's 100 year curse had re-emerged from the mist in just a couple of hours. We returned down Calf Hall, back round the Parrock and home.

Warm enough in the kit we had chosen. In fact I was wet through with sweat, you can see this in the stats. The shower was very welcome after shoving most of my kit in the washing basket. Not my sprightliest circular on Weets, I found it quite had going, must get out more. :extrawink:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost back to pre-op Ian!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No, a long way from that. I used to be able to do the same walk in 1.45 or thereabouts. I always used to reckon it was 40 minutes to the trig from our house. The deficit from my surgery ensures that I have to rest a lot more frequently as it's exceptionally tiring thinking about every step with my right leg. Toes that don't work are no good to man nor beast as they give no stability when you step, particularly when walking downhill. Fully functional folk do not have to even think about any of this as walking is an unconscious act in the main.

On the support sites that I visit one of the linking factors for all brain trauma survivors is that the deficit you are left with is essentially a hidden condition. We all look OK and are glad to have survived the trauma but it does come with lasting consequences.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Out round the lanes up at the top of town yesterday. Fields still claggy so avoided. Just a three mile circular up Calf Hall, round Hollins, Springs, Esp Lane etc.

One thing I noticed from the path up to Springs from Hollins. I always walk close to the beck looking for life in the water. I might have found it yesterday, I think I might have caught a fleeting glimpse of a trout in one of the deeper pools. I have been looking for the last ten years or so. When I was a lad I knew every nook and cranny of Springs beck and the hiding holes for the best fish. I could regularly take 2 - 3lb trout with my hands, dad always gratefully received. Not seen any activity for years so yesterday was a welcome revelation. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope you're right about the trout. I recently chatted to a cyclist as we stood on the little bridge over one of our local streams. She has lived here longer than me and has seen deer come down to drink and other animals on the banks, but she'd never seen fish in the stream. She was surprised when I told her we'd seen a few fish that were about 8 inches long. You have to be quiet and patient! :smile:

Talking of cyclists, I saw this web site while I was searching for information on quarries: Quarry Trails
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The word clench came to mind.... Well, at least they are trying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:27 as it's exceptionally tiring thinking about every step with my right leg. Toes that don't work are no good to man nor beast as they give no stability when you step, particularly when walking downhill. Fully functional folk do not have to even think about any of this as walking is an unconscious act in the main
I DO UNDERSTAND! I have such trouble on uneven ground and the stairs in our home. Your injury acquired high up the spinal cord/brain and mine at its terminus/base. How strange that acquired nerve damage has such similarities despite what level they are acquired. I feel for you buddy. Keeping track of everywhere my right foot lands drives me nuts at times. I can not chat much on walks as I must concentrate where my numb foot is landing with each step, and that I pick it up high enough with each step that I don’t stumble. I ride my bike, but have to watch out for it slipping on the pedal. As you say...no one knows we are different. It is a secret society.
Yet...we privately struggle... :extrawink:
( must say I am secretly chuffed though, as I was warned I could suffer paraplegia. This small annoyance is so much better)
Gotta count your blessings friend.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Maz, I am light years away from where I was immediately post op with no function at all down my right side. Eternally thankful to the amazing medics that set me right. On the meningioma FB site that I visit, hidden trauma is a common denominator. Benign is a massive misnomer and does not cover the trauma of eviction. Craniotomy is a brain injury, you just have to live with the consequences. I am still struggling with my bike as my heel turns inwards when pedalling on the ball of my right foot. I have one or two mods to try there though when the weather gets a bit better. :smile:

We both have the T shirt one way or another, some comments on how well I look sometimes on the way the compliment is delivered makes me feel, aye but try walking in my shoes for a day. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We will both be fine...so long as nowt happens to our other leg! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Though not in the same boat as you two I do understand. Changes in my body mean I have had to make many adjustments, eyes bladder etc. The good news is that the remedial actions themselves get easier as time goes on, the main thing is recognising and accepting them and keep buggering on! We have to cut our cloth to suit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Took a walk up Weets today. Sally likes to walk everyday and is now averaging about 7 or 8 miles or more every day. So we went our separate ways, Sally went out via Jack House and onto Brogden then at the junction with Coal Pit Lane, onto Gisburn Track and up to the trig. I went my normal escape route up Folly and then the ridge path to the summit we both arrived at about the same time although Sally had covered more than twice my distance. We had a bit of a rest at the top then split up again. Sally returned over the moor to Duckpond then down from the top of Folly. I didn't want to extend my walk today, it was a bit warm. Before I came off the top I had 10 minutes on my handheld radio and contacted a couple of local radio amateur friends. Ray G6HMN in Winewall and Kevin M0XLT in Gargrave. I was just about mid way between them both but at about 1000ft. I met Sally again on Folly by the stile at Standridge and we made our way home. My mileage for the afternoon was 4.5miles and Sally's just short of 7 miles.

Track for this one has been up more than once so I wont include it this time. Nice day for it, all water supped on the way up and down, 12fl oz lost according to my tracker. T shirt, shorts and boots. Full sun but a nice breeze on the ridge. Dry as a bone on the top and a snowstorm of cotton grass on the summit and approaches.
Last edited by PanBiker on 31 May 2020, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Say hello to the trig point for me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We tend not to walk at the weekends most of our walks involve walking through the Dell at some point. It can be very busy, the vast majority, probably over 95 % socially distancing. Even some very small toddlers know to walk to the side, but occasionally a family group with dog, pushchair and a couple of children take up the space. It must be a hard task getting such a diverse group all to one side at the same time. In most places the track is wide enough to accommodate it but not always. After the Dell we can soon climb then the only people we meet are hardened walkers or people like us. We exchange pleasantries as we pass but don’t stop to chat. We try to do up to 5 miles but after that my hip starts to hurt and I find it difficult to put weight on my right leg. The joys of getting older !
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Just up on BBC News web site...
`Man dies after being attacked by cows in Yorkshire Dales' BBC
`A man has died after being attacked by a herd of cows while walking in the Yorkshire Dales. The man, 82, from Foulridge, Pendle, was out walking with his wife at Ivescar, Ingleton on Saturday at around 13:45 BST. North Yorkshire Police said emergency services were called but the man died at the scene. His wife, aged 78, was badly bruised and taken by air ambulance to Lancaster Royal Infirmary.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We don't share space with cows if we can help it, they are too big. Sally rang me on Friday when she was out on a walk around Stock. She came across a field full of young boisterous cows so decide to avoid and take a detour. She didn't have a map with her as she knows her intended route well so she asked a local farmers wife for directions. She pointed her in the right direction and she ended up on the A59 between Horton Lane End and West Marton. She didn't want to walk down the road so I went and picked her up.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We avoid cows whenever we can. Not easy up near Lobden, At Whitworth they just wander free there
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Strangely the gentlest cattle I have ever come across are the Highland breed. There is a herd over on Settle Highside which often take the sun on the road from Settle over to Airton. I have ridden through those on my bike on more than one occasion, they are all horned of course and look menacing. An amateur radio friend of mine, (our latest site member) has use of the old Home Guard station up on the moor above the road. The "Shack on the Hill" is actually the back off a WWII Radio truck which was put up on the moor during WWII using a tracked vehicle and used for signalling to other hillside HG stations. The Highland Cattle often visit the cabin and are very friendly.

The Shack - Yorkshire Dales
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I only ever met one beast that was actually bent on attacking. Mostly just curiosity that attracts them to hikers, just stay calm and walk though them. The exception to this is a suckling cow with a calf at foot, then they are dangerous because they're defending their young.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently the man who was killed up at Ivescar was trying to recover his dog. One would assume that he did the right thing and let it off it's lead when threatened, (or maybe not)? He should have left it to make it's own escape.
Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”