WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 10:03
Tizer wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 09:54 Kev, I'll bet you find four green bins outside now! :smile:
That is the expected outcome :laugh5:
Hurrah! The bins have been collected.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, two interesting links but that toilet roll looks a bit big for my bathroom.
Kev, glad you have solved the bin problem and hope you are correct in your gamble on the cruise...
Quiet but satisfactory progress on Kahara's beam engine.
Two neat patches on my old Hebden Bridge cords, they have worn remarkably well, are machine washable and have turned white over the years but still good trousers and another lease of life in them for a tenner. I like old fashioned things.
Rishi Sunak's jam tomorrow.....
Later... The London Ban on pavement parking is set to be extended to the whole country. Good, if it happens and is enforced.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One thing struck me about the pavement parking ban if it happens. Who will enforce it? Does this mean traffic wardens active in Barlick? If so the cure may be worse than the disease!
The global economy is getting my full attention. See THIS current report from the Washington Post. We are on the brink of melt down as fear, not greed, grips the markets. I saw a report yesterday about the role of automated trading systems kicking in and having to be restrained as the markets exceed the 20% limit on drop before becoming officially a Bear Market. Could this be the end of the longest Bull market in history? It's becoming a possibility. Events Dear Boy.
See THIS Reuter's report updated this morning on the strength of the US$ and the falls in other exchange rates.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Scammers have released a flood of fake emails taking advantage of people's concerns about the covid virus. I've linked a BBC report on it in the computers topic here: LINK
Last edited by Tizer on 13 Mar 2020, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repeat of what Kev has already posted
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 04:04 Kev, glad you have solved the bin problem and hope you are correct in your gamble on the cruise...
The cruise is off, unfortunately my T2 diabetes is on the list of pre-existing medical conditions. I could still go but my travel insurance would be void. Pants...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hard luck Kev, I think we will restrict ourselves to the middle of a few fields in the tent if we get any decent spells of weather.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Being comfortable in your own home is no great sacrifice. Only time that alters is if you can't get a wage from it, than it gets serious, that problem hasn't been solved yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Aust. Coronavirus. From Monday all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people are to be cancelled. Mainly where people are static eg sporting venues, music concerts, large churches etc. Does not include schools, universities, public transport or airports. Travellers have been urged not to travel overseas unless it’s essential.

I heard last week that if Aussies travel overseas and it’s non essential, they will be ‘on their own’ if they catch the virus. No help, no insurance etc.
I haven’t seen a news item about it tho.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Stanley an interesting read, those old time engineers could do anything all without computers !!
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/a ... de-375071/
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting Bodge. They sent ships the same way as well!
Cathy, things are hotting up here as well. I rang admissions at Airedale to see if the status of my procedure on March 24th had changed. At the moment it's still scheduled but that may change and they will let me know. Not a big worry, no signs at all of any problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 01:07 Hard luck Kev, I think we will restrict ourselves to the middle of a few fields in the tent if we get any decent spells of weather.
No plans yet, fortunately I've only paid the cruise deposit, hotel and parking in Southampton. My travel insurance will cover the hotel and parking. Need to discuss the cruise deposit with P&O as they are, currently, offering a 'Future Cruise Credit' of 125% of the full cost. It would be my decision to cancel and the T&Cs mean I lose the deposit, if this is the case it will be covered by insurance.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just been veggie shopping on the Square. Is it my imagination or is Barlick busier this morning?
10:30. Just noticed on Flight radar a post that during the last hour "at least 5" Jet2 flights on their way to Spain have turned back and are heading for where they originated.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS BBC report on the Jet2 flights which turned back. This scale of cut backs is happening over the entire travel and airline industry. Just one example of the unforeseen consequences of a flu infection. Prepare for mo0re and wider ranging consequences.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The madness continues, my lad Jack has just texted to say that Barlick Aldi has folk queuing out of the door to get in! God knows what for, we went yesterday and there was no toilet or kitchen roll or tissues, most of the pasta had gone and no strong flour for bread or paracetamol, no soaps and many of the cleaning products were stripped bare. They must have had delivery of something that folk perceive they need a dozen or more of. :sad: Nothing left for those that can only shop at weekends due to work commitments and the older end who tend to buy as they need. Get a bloody grip and calm down, mixed messages from the government don't help.

This flurry probably in light of the threat of incarceration for the over 70's for four months. Best not trot round to the Coop Stanley, you may get arrested. Serious question how are they going to enforce a curfew on all the over 70's?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I got 3 bars of soap in Shambles yesterday, been to Sainsbury's this morning for teabags and mayonnaise. It was quite civilised in there, didn't notice if they had any toilet roll but they had plenty of beans :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col decided to go and buy mayonnaise this morning, it's the only thing we didn't have enough of for a 4 month lockdown! I have just got back from the garden centre in Salterforth where I had no problem stocking up on veggie seeds. Might as well put some effort into growing stuff!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 13:59 I got 3 bars of soap in Shambles yesterday,
We found Dettol hand gel soap on the counter so got two, one for upstairs and one for down. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 15:10
Big Kev wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 13:59 I got 3 bars of soap in Shambles yesterday,
We found Dettol hand gel soap on the counter so got two, one for upstairs and one for down. :smile:
Already have hand gel soaps at the sinks, just needed bar soap for the shower. 3 Imperial Leather bars for £1 :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My cousin went to the `big Tesco' in our local town this morning and she was shocked at the empty shelves and so many people there. She said it was `like Christmas shopping'.* The newspapers have been creating panic and then folk have been stoking it on social media. It wasn't like this back in 2009 when we had the H1N1 `swine flu' epidemic yet it reached a peak of 110,000 cases in the UK by July, dipped in September, then back up to 85,000 in November. We have short memories!

*Just as I finished writing the above post my cousin turned up on the doorstep with a big pack of professional disinfectant wipes from her own stock. She teaches first aid and has to have the wipes for the equipment, mannikins etc - and especially now.

This shows the number of swine flu cases in 2009...

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Aust. As from today our Woollies supermarkets are now open 7 - 8am for Seniors and People With Disability’s Only. :good:
I’m sure more will follow.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think that is a brilliant idea. ( I can see younger ones abusing it though and thinking it will be a great time to get ahead of the crowd and raid the toilet paper, paper towels and tissues. How will they police it I wonder? Cos we won’t go if we can’t be safe. I think they should only do it on week days and maybe someone on the door checking ID/age etc)
The thing is that Chemists etc won’t be open at that hour, for people who like to do all their stuff in one trip...
I expect Chemist to home deliveries will need to be stepped up...

At that time in the morning, it may mean older persons are travelling on peak hour buses/buses carrying school kids etc to get shopping done. We can’t have that...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I heard exactly the same report from a friend who went to Aldi on Sunday morning. Her comment was "Xmas shopping on steroids!". No problems about Crumblies in the Co-op. Many bald patches on shelves but not the stuff I buy. The lad gave me a voucher for £1.50 off my next shop if I spend more than £15. We both agreed that they were encouraging panic buying, never seen them do that before. He also said he believed that all they were interested in was sales and profit. What a sensible young man!
Susan and Mick visit me this morning.... Keep Calm and Carry On!
By the way... I will repeat what I told my friend yesterday. I suspect that many of the bulk-buyers who are panicking are the take-away generation who don't naturally carry stocks in their pantry or larder. They are imagining what it would be like if there was any disruption of the fast food sector!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

British humour is so eccentric! Imagine being in lock down for a few weeks with 100 toilet rolls! At least I can eat my chickens and talk to that woman I found on my sofa this morning!

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump's mother
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't knock having plenty of toilet rolls China. (No women on my sofa.....)
Looking at the radar flight tracker the only inbound red-eyes from the States over the last few days have been KLM heading in to Schipol. There is just one this morning. They won't be going back for a while. I am assuming that they are all being parked up Like the American Airlines fleet. See THIS for a BBC report on the situation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

No loo rolls today, don’t need any, mustn’t be smug. No hand sanitisers, tried 3 shops, except the last one did have tiny ones, just arrived and being unpacked, bright pink cartoon character shapes and designed to be hung from a little girls handbag.
Tiny ones (adult style) are normally $2-3. These ones were $4. Staff were saying that the price was daylight robbery, I agree and I also think the store is pulling at the heart strings.
Shame on you Reject Shop. Shame!

Later... I’ve just thought ‘I hope they don’t have alcohol in them, like adults ones do’.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”