Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Cathy »

Pluggy I echo China, Kev, Gloria and Marilyn. :smile:
Good to hear from you. Take Care.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stephen, you could easily last longer than me so chin up and KBO!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I finally found a useful thing about my hatred and aversion to Garlic.
A man in the supermarket stopped and spoke to my husband today. He stunk of Garlic. My immediate response was to step back 3 feet...because if I can smell his breath than obviously I am way too close.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Garlic is good for you regardless of your aversion Maz. :biggrin2:

In the local forest the news that the pubs were shutting created a "Mad Friday" attitude in Barlick. Local FB sites are full of the merits or stupidity of beer at £1.00 a pint! I hope I don't have to share any space with any of the revellers for the next couple of weeks or so. I wonder how many will succumb and live to regret their choices?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz's computer died a week ago from coronary hard disk disease. It had been made for us by Pluggy and gave great trouble-free service for 7 years but the technology has moved in that time. My first thought was to get Pluggy to make her one like the SSD 8GB jobbie he made for me a year ago. Then I found out his health situation was still not good so back-tracked and bought a Dell Windows PC with similar specification and installed Ubuntu in place of Windows. The SSD machines are very quiet and very fast and boot up in seconds. She's a happy bunny now, being without your favourite PC or gadget is not good at the present time! :smile:

Pluggy, we wish you the best of treatment, as soon and as well as possible. Keep strong. It's awful to have your health causing so much restriction in your life but at least that will coincidentally make you less likely to get the covid virus! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

On the foraging front, we had occasion this morning to revisit B&Q to pick up some more gloss paint for the coving, one tin not quite enough as it is the original wide moulded plaster coving to cover and needed two coats. While we were out and following Wendy's post about supplies in another thread we called at Morrisons for a few bits and then Lidl in Colne on the way back, still didn't complete our short list, no flour of any consistency to be had, plain, SR or strong. I already knew that One Stop and the Coop was bare and from posts on FB that Aldi had been replenished and already ransacked by the greedy. Lets hope the folk that are buying all the flour know how to use it. I have the feeling though that the majority will linger in the cupboard until the mites take over or it's well past it's use by date. :sad:

Craziest trolleys spotted in Morrisons was one bloke with 8 x 6 pint cartons of milk and another with 12 bottle of wine and two bags of crisps. I can only assume the first bloke was making cheese and the second either an alcoholic or it was a bugger social distancing party and to hell on a handcart, nowt as queer as folk. :extrawink: :sad:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Italy has now the highest death rate from the coronavirus in spite of being told that if you follow the Mediterranean diet you should live to a ripe old age. This is the all point. Italy has a very high proportion of old people ...
According to Prof Walter Ricciardi, scientific adviser to Italy’s minister of health, the country’s mortality rate is far higher due to demographics - the nation has the second oldest population worldwide - and the manner in which hospitals record deaths.
“The age of our patients in hospitals is substantially older - the median is 67, while in China it was 46,” Prof Ricciardi says. “So essentially the age distribution of our patients is squeezed to an older age and this is substantial in increasing the lethality.”

The news papers will show these figures as a possibility of what could happen in the UK. All doom and gloom where if fact most of our old people are already dead. :sad: Got to look on the bright side. :biggrin2:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Maybe it will come to this soon....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The thing that struck me when I went to the Co-op yesterday for clothes washing sachets was that the items of least use to a hoarder, fresh milk and veggies, were all gone. The most useful thing, bleach, was plentiful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Aust. From this Tues , Sth Aust. borders will be closed off from the rest of Aust., as a drastic escalation of measures to stop the Coronavirus.
Anyone entering will have to isolate for 14 days.

Our Police will be operating 12 Border Stations.
( I think our Army should be doing the operating, and keep the Police closer to where the majority of people are.)

Freight and vital goods will continue to be permitted.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

India announces complete lock down, 1 billion affected. All international flights stopped.
Italy announces all non essential shops and venues are on lock down immediately, this includes industry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh that took them awhile. :(
Can’t say the phrases ‘It’s all good’ or ‘She’ll be right’ any more. :(
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes you can cobber!
I saw a report yesterday about outrage in Cornwall because some people interested in tourism were touting the county as a good place to go to ground. A similar report from the Highland and Island authorities in Scotland this morning. Multiple reports of small villages full of second homes suddenly becoming repopulated as second home owners retreat to their bolt holes in the country to avoid the virus. It reminds me of the medieval reaction to a plague, flee the cities. (Mind you I can see the sense in it..... I'm glad I am not in a crowded city.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

No , you can’t Stanley. One minute I feel like I have a handle with what is going on, and with the next news item , I think ‘What the ‘far out’ is going on!’ 👎

They are showing The Sound of Music on Tele tonight.... well that should cheer us up, as we all have a Sing A Long. Yeah right.

And what I want to know is what happened (law wise) to those that killed and sold the animals in the markets that caused all this in the first place?
Does anyone know?

I’ve been trying to get extra pet food together for my Cat, I managed a bit. My daughter has just gone to 3 supermarkets before managing to get a few items. People are stocking up on pet food as well.
Grab what you can for your pets.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Power of Prayer.

Some years ago a big American study was carried out round the power of prayer. The study identify a very large group of people with quite serious illnesses. These where split into equally balanced groups. Each group was prayed for by in a mass gathering of prayers.
Group 1) Everything about the group was kept anonymous to the prayers.
Group 2) The names in the group were told to the prayers.
Group 3) The people being prayed for were told they were being prayed for.

The results were groups 1 & 2 had equal outcomes for recovery.
Group 3 had far the worst outcome. The results were never formally published. The thinking was that by telling people that they were seriously ill and that masses of people were praying for them made their situation worse.

So possibly if you feel it necessary to pray for someone keep it to yourself.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Did the people doing the praying feel really good and get a benefit to their health? :smile:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 09:02 The Power of Prayer.

Some years ago a big American study was carried out round the power of prayer. The study identify a very large group of people with quite serious illnesses. These where split into equally balanced groups. Each group was prayed for by in a mass gathering of prayers.
Group 1) Everything about the group was kept anonymous to the prayers.
Group 2) The names in the group were told to the prayers.
Group 3) The people being prayed for were told they were being prayed for.

The results were groups 1 & 2 had equal outcomes for recovery.
Group 3 had far the worst outcome. The results were never formally published. The thinking was that by telling people that they were seriously ill and that masses of people were praying for them made their situation worse.

So possibly if you feel it necessary to pray for someone keep it to yourself.
:good:
I'm sure it would make me feel worse if someone was giving me the last rites!
Religion is a good way of controlling people. Mind control. And people freely give their money in support. If it makes them feel better and makes them live with good morals it is a good thing, but I can do the same without talking to imaginary friends in the sky. I wouldn't want the misguided people praying for me. Now they'll be praying for my enlightenment or some other thing they think I'm missing!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 08:17And what I want to know is what happened (law wise) to those that killed and sold the animals in the markets that caused all this in the first place? Does anyone know?
Perhaps Chinatyke knows! :smile:
I'd also like to hear him tell us whether the Chinese people believe their leaders who have been claiming that the covid virus was brought to China by American soldiers last year (Trump must have suffered apoplexy when he heard that. He probably went `apocalyptic'! :laugh5: )

Back to serious thoughts...this article reports that many covid patients are suffering gastrointestinal problems as well as the loss of appetite and the coughing. Medical News Today From my point of view this is bad news. I'm already in the vulnerable category by being in my 70s and having `borderline COPD' (my mother had serious breathing problems when she got older). I have gut inflammation trouble too, so now I've got three vulnerabilities. Any more and Sainsbury's will be setting a special 15-minute slot for me to do my shopping! :laugh5:

This is outside the big NHS hospital in Taunton...

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 10:17
Cathy wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 08:17And what I want to know is what happened (law wise) to those that killed and sold the animals in the markets that caused all this in the first place? Does anyone know?
Perhaps Chinatyke knows! :smile:
I'd also like to hear him tell us whether the Chinese people believe their leaders who have been claiming that the covid virus was brought to China by American soldiers last year (Trump must have suffered apoplexy when he heard that. He probably went `apocalyptic'! :laugh5: )
Selling wild animals has been made illegal so I guess they lost their livelihoods. A lot of what they sold was illegal anyway. I've personally seen just about everything on sale in these markets, even animals I didn't recognise which I've since found were bamboo rats. Last week, in our local supermarket, my wife was looking at some dried meat which I took to be fish. It was reduced to half price. On closer inspection I discovered it was dried bats. This is an upmarket supermarket. It won't be easy to stop the sale of wild animals.

Where did that story arise quoting Chinese leaders? Don't believe all the things you read on the Internet or Sun newspaper!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I came across this just now - I agree.

It was the Government's first attempt at a policy, but later abandoned after the Imperial College report. I think this virus will spread to the entire community whatever 'mitigation' is put in.

People seem to be taking little notice of HMG's advice anyway. It's an existential crisis to some, especially the self employed, while for those with guaranteed incomes from salary or pensions it's an extra holiday.

He puts things in very simple terms. I hope he is right. I'm well into my second week of total isolation now, and things are OK.

covid 19
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 12:44 Where did that story arise quoting Chinese leaders? Don't believe all the things you read on the Internet or Sun newspaper!
I read it in The Times and saw it elsewhere but now I'm not sure whether Trump saw that and reacted to it or whether he said it in the first place! What Trump said is quoted part way down this Snopes web page: Snopes on Trump etc The papers have reported it as a tit for tat response but who knows where it started first? :smile:

That's a good video link, Tripps. Concise and keeps to the main point.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 16:55 That's a good video link, Tripps. Concise and keeps to the main point.
I wondered afterwards what qualifies him to make the video. He's a Defence Minister formerly a soldier, and multi millionaire (twice) I.T. entrepreneur. Can't find any public health / medical qualifications.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

McDonalds UK are closing all their restaurants from tomorrow 23/03/2020
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally said she had seen a post on FB that there were two confirmed cases in Nelson.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

3318F95E-A741-4F33-AD9C-7C849B329929.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”