MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

I shall be gearing up for my cystoscopy tomorrow. That will include calling admissions at Airedale to check I am still scheduled in case there is a cancellation letter in the post. Not happy about exposing myself to what must be a risk but I suppose it's worth it.
[Later... I am getting increasingly uncomfortable about the appointment. Too much exposure to others in what could possibly be the most dangerous environment.]
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've talked to Admissions, she consulted with endoscopy and they agree that my thinking is straight and also that cancellation is the best course. It will not be a black mark against me and if and when things ease up they will send for me. I feel easier in my mind now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's some good medical news...
`Machine 'could quadruple' heart and lung transplants' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, we need all the good news we can get.
On a general point, considering the mileage, I am as fit as anyone my age can reasonably expect to be. Gott sei dank!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 04:31
On a general point, considering the mileage, I am as fit as anyone my age can reasonably expect to be.
It's age that is the problem and if you are above the government age limit for treatment Gott helfe mir may be your best option although I don't believe it will! So keep yourself safe. More bleach, Stanley! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've already formulated my plan for the worst China and it doesn't involve being a burden. In addition my end of life statements are in place and they are very clear.
I am employing the bleach! Look after yourself China, best of luck, that's what it boils down to now and for the duration.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A planned GP appointment due tomorrow has turned into a phone call. Doctor will phone me at my booked appointment time.
I have no problems with this. ( jeez...lucky I didn’t want to show him a brand new rash or something :laugh5: )
This will be the norm for a while. They say it is to keep people safe, but so long as we can keep the doctor safe, he can be of more use to more people! I get it.
( plus I could probably send him pics of my rash...if I had one...which I don’t) :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

As I post, Sally is waiting for her doc appointment via phone for the results of her recent MRI scan.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, digital cameras are very useful for recording and sending images to a doctor. My father woke up one morning with the `white' of an eye bright red due to blood. Rather than take him to the doc I sent the doc a close up photo of the eye. The doc said it was nothing to worry about and the eye returned to normal quickly. One thing to remember though...if you take a close up photo of someone's face, and especially their eye, make sure the flash is set to Off.

Here's some more good news that should boost Stanley no end! An article on the benefits of hydroxytyrosol in olive oil. It's in the `Olive Oil Times' so it's bound to be hyped up a bit but it's based on proper science.
`Olive Oil Consumption Could Lead to a 'Younger Brain' in the Elderly, Researchers Say: A well-known phenolic compound found in olive oil now shows an ability to reverse brain aging.' Olive Oil Times
`New research has revealed the deeper effects of hydroxytyrosol (HTyr): Not only does it protect brain functions from aging, but it may even restore the vitality of brain neurons, and multiply them. Italian scientists at the National Research Center (CNR) investigated how hydroxytyrosol works in those portions of the brain that generate new neurons throughout life. They discovered that HTyr impacts brain activities far beyond its well-known neuroprotective effects. Researchers at the CNR Biochemistry and Cellular biology Lab (CNR-Ibbc) were able to show how the administration of the compound in the elderly may reverse neuronal aging, combining the protection of the active neurons and the generation of new ones..'.

[I must admit I was amused by the statement `The antioxidant activity of hydroxytyrosol activates a sort of cleaning treatment for nervous cells'. What with Brexit and Covid I think I've got `nervous cells' at the moment! :smile: ]
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Splendid! Thanks for that Tiz. Funnily enough I was looking at my dwindling olive oil stock and reflecting I needed a bottle of Il Casolare next time I was in the Co-op. They have stopped doing the big bottles for some reason. I still think it's the nicest oil but it is also the most expensive!
Next medical step is to go to bed. I have done all my tasks including emptying Jack, doing an hour in the shed and having my breakfast. I have earned a gonk.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 09:53 My father woke up one morning with the `white' of an eye bright red due to blood. Rather than take him to the doc I sent the doc a close up photo of the eye. The doc said it was nothing to worry about and the eye returned to normal quickly.
I had "red eye" one morning when I was in hospital, I thought it quite a cool look, a bit like a vampire, ruptured small blood vessel of which there are many in the eye, cleared up in a couple of days. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I too had it once a long time ago. Frightened me to death but Arthur Morrison assured me I wasn't going blind!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 09:53 Maz, digital cameras are very useful for recording and sending images to a doctor. My father woke up one morning with the `white' of an eye bright red due to blood. Rather than take him to the doc I sent the doc a close up photo of the eye. The doc said it was nothing to worry about and the eye returned to normal quickly. One thing to remember though...if you take a close up photo of someone's face, and especially their eye, make sure the flash is set to Off.

Here's some more good news that should boost Stanley no end! An article on the benefits of hydroxytyrosol in olive oil. It's in the `Olive Oil Times' so it's bound to be hyped up a bit but it's based on proper science.
`Olive Oil Consumption Could Lead to a 'Younger Brain' in the Elderly, Researchers Say: A well-known phenolic compound found in olive oil now shows an ability to reverse brain aging.' Olive Oil Times
`New research has revealed the deeper effects of hydroxytyrosol (HTyr): Not only does it protect brain functions from aging, but it may even restore the vitality of brain neurons, and multiply them. Italian scientists at the National Research Center (CNR) investigated how hydroxytyrosol works in those portions of the brain that generate new neurons throughout life. They discovered that HTyr impacts brain activities far beyond its well-known neuroprotective effects. Researchers at the CNR Biochemistry and Cellular biology Lab (CNR-Ibbc) were able to show how the administration of the compound in the elderly may reverse neuronal aging, combining the protection of the active neurons and the generation of new ones..'.

[I must admit I was amused by the statement `The antioxidant activity of hydroxytyrosol activates a sort of cleaning treatment for nervous cells'. What with Brexit and Covid I think I've got `nervous cells' at the moment! :smile: ]
Is this only in Olive or do other vegatible (fruit?) oils apply ? Cold Pressed Rapeseed oil seems like a good thing for use in cooking. I was viewing a history of soap and reminded that Olive Oil Soap is avalible. ( I have a cube of it for mum in her room I note )
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have noticed over the last few months that amongst the various dents and depressions in my skull created by the entrance points for my craniotomy. I can now feel the head of one of the screws used to secure the bone flap back in place. It doesn't hurt or anything like that, it is just there. I assume they are made of some none magnetic metal as they don't give any bother when I am in the MRI scanner. Apparently they are no cause for concern unless they break through the skin which can lead to infection. :smile:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 15:19 I have noticed over the last few months that amongst the various dents and depressions in my skull created by the entrance points for my craniotomy. I can now feel the head of one of the screws used to secure the bone flap back in place. It doesn't hurt or anything like that, it is just there. I assume they are made of some none magnetic metal as they don't give any bother when I am in the MRI scanner. Apparently they are no cause for concern unless they break through the skin which can lead to infection. :smile:
Sorry Ian - just laughing at the old saying "have you got your head screwed on properly?" :biggrin2:

With reference to your previous post, perhaps you did have corona virus in February but from where or who would you have picked up the infection? It would be a good thing as you would now have the antibodies and immunity.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Head screwed on.... I like it!
I think that's a question many people are asking China. Only problem is that we don't know if having the antibodies protects against another infection!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 02:51 With reference to your previous post, perhaps you did have corona virus in February but from where or who would you have picked up the infection?
World travel is easy and commonplace, (or was) and It could have been from the person at the supermarket who's brother had given her a hug when she picked him up from the airport after returning from his trip to China. Or something similar. It could have been in the country a lot longer at low level before the preverbal hit the fan in you neck of the woods. Without a reliable test who would know?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More and more experts are coming round to the fact that Covid19 may have been here a lot earlier than was originally thought. We need the tests to show who has the antibodies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The symptoms of covid-19 alone are not specific enough to say a person had that virus. There are at least seven coronaviruses that infect humans. Three, SARS, MERS and COVID-19, are very serious; the others have similar symptoms but are less serious and we will all have had one or more of them at least once in our lives. Covid-19 was encountered for the first time in late December 2020 2019. [error due to cabin fever! :smile: ] The virus from which it mutated to a form capable of infecting humans may have been circulating in its original animal host for centuries or even thousands of years.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

December 2019 Tiz?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 12:14 December 2019 Tiz?
I messaged him about that but I reckon he's having a nap :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks lads for the warning! No nap, out for a walk, then playing in the garden. Counting the tadpoles in the pond...
Me: ..356, 357, 358...
Mrs Tiz: Cup of tea?
Me: Yes please.....Uhh.....1, 2, 3..... :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am too busy to be bored. I think I must be high maintenance!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I received a call from Claire at the surgery yesterday to tell me that my blood pressure check was due and that the surgery was closed for the BP clinic. She knows I have my own BP machine so has asked me to do a weeks worth of twice a day readings. Once completed to post it through the letterbox at the surgery. Four readings in and as expected. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”