Today I shall be Mainly...

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Cathy »

Wendy, I love your paddles, is there a story behind them? Meaning have they always been yours, or were they inherited?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Not much of a story Cathy I'm afraid, they were my mum's but she never made butter! She had a phase of going to antique fairs and I think she probably bought them at that time. She also went through a phase of doing pyrography and they have a flower design on the back. I knew they might come in useful eventually! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Aiming for the shed. I missed yesterday because of the tension caused by no tobacco. Should be better today.
Sue, when I was open all hours at Sough we got Danish butter in barrels and I used to knock it up and weigh it out. I was very good at guessing 1lb exactly, don't know why.
Getting used to the clock change. I have been in bed at 9PM two nights on the trot getting in training!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I'm never short of something to do, with al my interests and hobbies! ........

The trouble is Tiz, most of mine are at home and not here. Luckily I brought my laptop at the last minute which allows me to access some of them ( like the book I haven’t touched yet ) . As for art, I have some stuff here but normally bring more when we come for the summer, however my lovely niece sent me a drawing pad and pencils in my doggy craft bag, as well as some fabric. The drawing pad will be used today as I tackle my art project of drawing sheep or cows.

I love the butter Wendy and what a quick way to do it. I thought it might be. When Claire , Erin and I made some we were shaking a bottle for what seemed like an eternity.

Today I shall continue with my gardening task on the lawn, then clean the kitchen before I tackle the art. We have removed the lower branches of a beautiful fir tree which grazed the lawn in a magnificent manner. It was getting far too wide and looking in the parks round here they have all had the lower branches removed. This will make it much easier to mow the lawn but first 15 years of ivy and pine needles have to be removed before we can reseed. I was at it all day yesterday but have a little bit left to do. I am putting the pine needles under the hedgerow hoping it will stop some of the nettles growing. We are not allowed garden fires and the local tip is shut so all our garden waste has to be dealt with imaginatively. The general weeding and lawn trimmings are also being spread under the hedge as we have nowhere to make compost at the moment. The site for this years heap is covered with piles of branches from our pruning. I will shred many of these to put on our rose and herb patch, and some we will put inti store for kindling and the pizza oven, when there is room in the store. I can have a fire in a metal incinerator but that won’t get rid of much of this. Far far more than we can use.

Think positive, stay cheerful , keep busy and stay safe everyone
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet again, I underestimated the time needed to get essential tasks done. I have spent an hour making another wing and veggie roast, this one will be the best ever! Also some carrots and parsnips which will end up being mashed. Adjust the clocks, walk Jack and make breakfast. Then have a listen to Broadcasting house and off to bed. Still no tobacco :good: .
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Maybe kitchen is ‘so clean’, I won’t even let myself in there. :laugh5:
3D7C2029-6249-41CF-9D99-2A52F79468C0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I miss your kitchen, Cazza!

No tobacco Stanley! Wow! Have you given up do you think?
Well done for the break anyway...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Here’s the other side.
96BFE212-84CA-495A-9CB5-FB9CC4A12190.jpeg
Miss you being here too.
Anyway ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cathy on 29 Mar 2020, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, you mentioned the ferry a few posts back. If you are going to travel check the web site of your breakdown assistance provider. We use Green Flag and they've sent us a couple of emails detailing changes to the services at the moment due to Covid-19.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:sad: I miss you and your kitchen even more now Sis. ( lovely and clean...)
Gosh how I want to sit and have a cuppa with you, and set the world to rights. We were very good at doing that.
I have soooo much to chat about.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Carpet has dried so today is repopulating the front room with furniture.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well...we will pop round with a take-away curry and a bottle of Red that we can eat off our laps...christen the clean carpet for you! :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you want to make the effort Maz, I'll have a Lamb Biriani please and red is OK to go with it. :biggrin2:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 09:11 Sue, you mentioned the ferry a few posts back. If you are going to travel check the web site of your breakdown assistance provider. We use Green Flag and they've sent us a couple of emails detailing changes to the services at the moment due to Covid-19.
We have Brittania rescue and because it us a new Audi, some Audi cover. Thanks for the tip, however looking less promising with every news conference. By May the weather will d so nice here, we may not want to go back :laugh5:

Tried my art project today. Hmmph! No smooth paper, no charcoal, no soft pencils and the mice had been having a good munch of my paper towels in my art room. What a mess to clear up!

Far too windy and cold to work outside.

I am about to try to make the rhubarb tarte tatin that was I'm Masterchef the other night
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I cleaned my kitchen today also, and steam cleaned the floor. Now we are both cooking it looks just as bad :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Baked a Sultana Buttercake (recipe from my CWA cookbook).
Made the filling for tonight’s Cannelloni. That is cooling before I fill the tubes.
Just about to get hubby his Cup-of-Soup for lunch, then I shall FaceTime Cazza ( they say we should check on our seniors ) :laugh5:
Then it will be time to bring two loads of washing in off the line. We have already been for our walk in beautiful sunshine, so I might indulge in a lay down with my current book.
Alternatively, I have recharged my hand held gardening shears and might head out into the front garden to trim some more shrubs. I did two yesterday and I have three or four to go. Then I will need to sweep up.
It’s all go, this isolation lark...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz,not sure if it's permanent or not. I just decided two days ago that I didn't want a smoke and haven't had one since. Not easy of course, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is. But, so far so good, it seems worthwhile to try to make the attempt. I know of two life long pipe smokers who suddenly stopped in their 80s.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a lovely walk around Kelbrook Moor yesterday morning. I thought I'd share this view of Pendle with those of you not able to access our beautiful countryside. :smile:
91370938_2247734038596381_8184249440261898240_o.jpg
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wow...pretty darn perfect.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was bitterly cold Maz! There were some sheltered places where we felt the warmth of the sun, but not many. I felt vaguely guilty about being out in the countryside even though we were on one of our regular circular routes from home. We only met a handful of people all of whom maintained at least 2 metres distance except for one chap who was out in the fields with a very friendly collie off the lead. The dog had to be retrieved from jumping all over us and as he was collecting his dog he was being vitriolic about someone else who hadn't picked their dog muck up, talking loudly close to Col. Some people still aren't thinking!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wish I could really see it. Thats one thing I am really missing is the hills.

Another cold windy day today but at least it is sunny. I have pilates at 11.00 a.m and then may carry on clearing the ivy and moss off the lawn or will do some writing. My art was a bit disappointing yesterday as I had neither charcoal nor smooth paper here.

I shall wash the fabric my niece sent me, it should dry quickly in this wind, and will have a look at tracing the patterns she has lent me.

I may make some hot cross buns, we have finished the ones in the freezer and Bob has requested some more. Hope we have all the ingredients

Think positive , stay cheerful, keep busy, and stay safe. Have as good a day as you can.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I made us each a machine washable fabric face mask today. So face mask and gloves next time we go food shopping.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Wendy, it was bitter but today is a touch milder. Certainly better on our early morning walk round Valley Gardens.
I have done my cooking and will definitely be in the shed this morning.

The cylinder is almost finished, minor finishing touches only are needed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It's been bitter the last two days here with howling gales. My washing blew horizontal on the line. The washing was actual the fabric my niece sent me, just doing a prewash before cutting out. I have decided on a wrap over skirt for one piece but have to find instructions online for drafting a pattern. I found one on YouTube but I am just a bit short of fabric for that one. The other piece of fabric I shall make into a top. Sarah sent me a pattern for that. Hopefully when it rains next week I can have a sewing week.

We are still waiting for our prescription to arrive from the UK. We have tracked them to France but the postal service is only working three days a week. We anticipate Thursday which will be over two weeks from our initial order. This is a two month supply. If we are here longer we will have to order again probably after a month or see if we can get the prescription emailed to a chemist here.

Today looks better weather, back to trying to get the ivy off the lawn.

Think positive, stay cheerful, keep busy, stay safe and have as good a day as you can
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds as though you have had more wind than us Sue. Calm and mild so far here this morning.
I have had an hour in the shed and made good progress. Now I have to address the rest of the day. Only thing that's certain is no shopping today, I don't need anything yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”