Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Wendyf »

Maz, you do seem to be in an argument all by yourself. As I see it, we as individuals on One Guy can't change anything that has happened here, the UK simply wasn't in a position to roll out testing at the beginning. Yes we are all in it together, doing our bit by self isolating and keeping our heads down, and to be frank, (and this isn't easy for me to say) it doesn't help to be told what the UK should be doing. Love you dearly but please, ease off a bit. Everyone is stressed and worried about family and friends.
Just my opinion, others will no doubt disagree!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 09:29 My understanding is that they may protect others from you, by catching your exhalation, but are of no value to protect you from the tiny virus particles that may be heading in your direction. A used mask from an infected person may be a dangerous source of infection to others if not handled and disposed of correctly. Current Government policy does not recommend their use.
Indeed, important enough I would say if you can limit the spread from yourself if you are a carrier. May not be actual government policy but the WHO have endorsed their use. I think I will take a bit more notice of them than that Boris bloke.

In another universe (it would seem), the "leader" of the free world the Orange Knob Trump has spoken. "You should all make your own masks and wear them", "will you be wearing one sir?" "No, no, noooo, I don't think that's me, Kings, Queens, Presidents and other important folk don't do that, no, no, nooo, not for me, that's how it is"

That is another individual who should not be spared.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Got it WENDY.
I am signing off.
Bye.
Good luck...you are gonna need it and could likely do with friends, but I am sick of facing Stanley’s boxing gloves every morning.
Listen to what the world is saying, for heaven’s sake...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We all have to rely on the media for the view outside of our insular bubble, don't believe everything you read...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Apologies if I have offended Maz or anyone by my post. I do try to stick to Wildlife, Pets and Mystery Objects but get carried away occasionally.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

All good here Wendy :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Don't vex too much Wendy. Kev is right, the vast majority of folk in this country are playing by the rules it's the minority which of course the media home in on and ramp up. Of course they should bring this to the attention of intelligent decent folk who are trying their best but it does tend to take up an inordinate amount of news time and column inches. I think the authorities need to get heavy with these types as they are in effect risking lives by their inconsiderate actions.

I for one will not let go the fact that our government has screwed up with the advanced warning that they had of this pandemic. but I personally cant do anything about it at the moment as all political manoeuvring has been suspended for the duration. But, come the release, if I am spared I will then take up the fight to get this excuse for a government out.

I truly hope that the new leader of our party will hold them to task and be supportive in the present fight but not get too close and into bed with them. The Nation should not forget where the failings have been.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52172035

Things could get tougher if the minority don't start doing as they are asked...

I think 'asked' is the problem, they need to be told.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Back to masks.
Any single ply of woven fabric will have 'holes' in them that a virus of nano particle size will just fly through as though it didn't exist. The filters in aircraft are a pad of material much like a bundle of wire wool between fabric sides. The idea is that although there is a way through the chemically treated tangled web it will at some point catch the virus to stop its transmission. Providing face masks to this quality would be very expensive and probably rightly so restricted to the front line workers who need them most.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 09:48 but the WHO have endorsed their use.
As I have mentioned before - and won't do again - some people have let their visceraL hatred of the Prime minister, and President Trump get in the way of their thinking.
Just a detail, but that is not what Trump actually said. He spoke of having to greet world leaders while dressed in a mask. I think he didn't fancy the look. Too vain.

Here is the actual advice from the WHO. It's fairly complex and I'd say broadly supports what I said in my previous post. Remember they are speaking to the wole world not just UK. We have different advice for those with strong symptoms - or should we follow theirs?

WHO mask advice.

I am upset that this topic is starting to spoil what for me, has been a unique experience over a long time. It distresses me to see posts such as the ones above from long standing valuable memebrs of the site. I think a step back for a while is in order.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 11:36 As I have mentioned before - and won't do again - some people have let their visceraL hatred of the Prime minister, and President Trump get in the way of their thinking.
Just a detail, but that is not what Trump actually said. He spoke of having to greet world leaders while dressed in a mask. I think he didn't fancy the look. Too vain.
I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the vanity I know my quote was not verbatim but it was certainly not far of the mark.

Sorry that my view of President Trump and our very own Prime Minister Boris Johnson upsets you but in my view and I am perfectly entitled to have it, neither are fit for the offices they hold. Their actions are not getting in the way of my own common sense though.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Heavens above, I dipped into OG this morning then spent most of the day on walking, gardening and hobbying. Just before going for a cup of tea at 5.00pm I dip in again and find this long string of posts. OG is only a web forum, it's not a boxing ring. You're getting close to cabin fever now - don't let it get you. We've a long way to go to get through the covid pandemic so let's all be friends. Onwards and upwards! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 09:53 Got it WENDY.
I am signing off.
Bye.
Good luck...you are gonna need it and could likely do with friends, but I am sick of facing Stanley’s boxing gloves every morning.
Listen to what the world is saying, for heaven’s sake...
Awww, Maz. Don't take your bat home. I'll miss you.

Knocking others is part of British culture and I see plenty of unjustified criticism of China, a place I've chosen to live. I just ignore it. Some people have never travelled beyond Salterforth! :biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I've been trying my best to find jokes just to give us something to smile about when up pops a news article about councils digging extra graves to keep in front of demand. graves Nothing special about this you may say but more down to earth for us when we heard the nephew had been selected to a special course on using a big mechanical digger. Normally he runs around all day in his tractor cutting edges, grass etc. At first when he text us about it and suggested it could be for grave digging we thought it was a joke with Mrs P replying " Well its a nice quiet job and you won't get many complaints". Little did we realize that its becoming a nationwide problem.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for persistent of symptoms of Covid-19. He has been in self isolation for a week.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our Queens heartfelt unprecedented historic announcement amid the COVID-19 Pandemic.
If you missed it, here is some of what she said.
Act mindfully, act with self-discipline and quiet , good humoured resolve.
We will succeed (globally), better days will return. Very moving. God Save The Queen.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like David, I opened this topic this morning and am baffled.
What did I do to Justify "Now...tell us we are talking shit, Stanley!"?
You're right Tiz, cabin fever and fear striking home.
Wendy, there was nothing wrong with your post that I could see.
No news from Earby so I am getting quietly worried.
All fine here so far I think.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

An interesting development, a tiger has tested positive for Covid-19 at the Bronx Zoo. Apparently from a zoo keeper...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-52177586
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that as well Kev. I had never thought of it passing from humans to animals.
Perhaps Sally should start to make masks for animals! I have my Sally masks..... If they are made compulsory I am ready! Even though I have noted the medical opinion about them as compared say to proper hand washing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed the mask debate goes on but to me its a better bet than coughing into your elbow. A mask will not stop you getting the virus that is clear which is why it is important for the frequent hand washing and wiping of surfaces. What a mask will do is mitigate to some degree spreading the virus if you are a carrier and don't know it, every little helps. It's the intensity or dosage of infection that determines whether and how severe you get the virus. If you can reduce that intensity in some way it has to be a bonus.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The graph for daily new confirmed cases looks promising in this article, especially when you take into account that testing has increased. For anyone not familiar with such graphs the black trend line is not the result of someone putting a ruler on where they think best and drawing a line; it's a mathematically calculated best fit (but I'm sure all OGers know that!).
`Coronavirus: When will we know the UK lockdown is working?' LINK

Some people will probably use this following news to criticise the government and its advisors but the fact is that it's not a case of duff kits but of the illness from this new virus making testing more complicated and less effective. We should prepare better in advance for pandemics but there will always be the danger of `unkown unknowns'.
`Coronavirus 'game changer' testing kits could be unreliable, UK scientists say' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Yesterday morning God was seen walking in Yorkshire. When asked what he was doing, he replied “Working from home”.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, what evidence is there that god is male?
Tiz, I reckon that I will be isolated until we have a vaccine, 18 months at the earliest. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:07 Coronavirus 'game changer' testing kits could be unreliable, UK scientists say' LINK
I think it was on OG (actually Tizer) who said they may only be 75% reliable. thinking about this and getting more confused the more I thought about it, nothing new there, taking 16 people under test, 4 would be incorrectly diagnosed. But we don't know with 4 they are. so doing the test again on the same 16 a different 4 will emerge. You could repeat this test for ever and never get a definitive result. Coming back to the point that Tizer made in the first place, tests which are not accurate are useless. :sad:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 11:57 China, what evidence is there that god is male?
According to Christians God is the father... No, it isn't evidence.

Perhaps you should have asked what evidence is there that God exists? :biggrin2:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”