Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Tizer »

Here's how some people pass their time during lockdown. This is a russian facebook group that re-creates the art world's masterpieces using people, animals and even food... LINK

And this is a similar idea from a US Instagram group... LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no artistic bent... I just make a mess in the shed and end up with an engine. :biggrin2:

[Missing David...... :sad: )
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wondering ‘Where’s Liz?’ Hope all is well with her.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I find I am worrying about people also Cathy. I have had to tell my extended family that's it's a kindness to reassure me every now and again. I was told not to worry but I told the grand daughter in question that this is what dad's do! She'll find out as she gets older.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Boris in intensive care (critical care), brings home how serious this infection is. He always looked a strong and healthy sort of person who would shake off this condition in quick time. I hope he pulls through without any after effects. His condition certainly made me think about taking more stringent avoidance measures.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's worth reading this article to understand better the problems surrounding oxygen supply. It's not just shortage of ventilators but the limits set by a hospital's piping and storage. Also, a CPAP machine normally used to treat sleep apnoea is being tested to provide another approach, one that doesn't need sedation.
`Coronavirus doctor's diary: The oxygen supply problem' LINK

This illustrates the big health gap between white and black in the USA and we know there'll be something similar between poor and relative wealthy in the UK...
`Coronavirus wreaks havoc in African American neighbourhoods' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just walked over to the butcher's, there's a sign on the door stating 'maximum of 2 customers in the shop'. The short queue (3 of us) observed one at a time without issue, people seem to be getting the hang of it. We just need the ignorant minority, particularly in the bigger towns and cities, to follow suit.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sally is sewing bags for the NHS now. Draw string jobs for nurses and for use as laundry bags. :smile:

She is waiting to receive a pattern for scrubs and is trying to think of how to help a novice seamstress in town who has loads of material but not necessarily the skill to turn it into what is required.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if all the stuff they receive from the public goes into quarantine for a few days in case any of it is contaminated with virus?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Further to my post above Sally has posted this on her FB timeline.

"So friends I am making laundry bags for nurses to put the uniforms in to transport and wash , to try to stop contamination. Have any of you any polycotton/ cotton fabric, sheeting weight, that you would like to donate so I can make more bags. It needs to measure at least 42" x 54" thank you xx plain or pattern."
Tizer wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 14:37 I wonder if all the stuff they receive from the public goes into quarantine for a few days in case any of it is contaminated with virus?
To partially answer your question, Sally's instructions includes washing all articles produced before packing and sending to where required.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:59 Further to my post above Sally has posted this on her FB timeline.

Have any of you any polycotton/ cotton fabric, sheeting weight, that you would like to donate so I can make more bags.
I've got some quilt covers and pillow cases Sally can have.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today, Wuhan has lifted the outbound travel restrictions after 76 days of lock-down. 55,000 people are expected to transit the railway stations on more than 300 trains. The prevention measures still remain in place and people are screened and issued with a QR code which is scanned wherever they go. There are at least 100 million migrant workers in China.

Another thing that was mentioned in a previous post on OGFB was truck loads of funeral urns being delivered to Wuhan city, a city with a population of at least 11 million people. Here is the explanation:
Apart from the easing of travel restrictions, there is another sign that Wuhan is starting to move on from the crisis: It has finally started to bury the dead. For months, residents in Wuhan had been unable to bury their loved ones, as the government banned all funerals and closed cemeteries on January 25. The remains of thousands of people who died both from corona virus and other causes were stored at funeral homes. Families were told to await government advice on when they could be collected.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P, don't worry about Johnson, he has people paid to do that for him.
Ian, has Sally tried ringing what was Albert Hartley's? Worth a try... They are still shifting a lot of cloth.
Dr Hassan responded to my update mail and seems to be in good nick.
Susan continues to improve, Mick is still very poorly but hanging in there.
I am fit as a butcher's dog.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

P, don't worry about Johnson, he has people paid to do that for him. Perhaps its a bit of the good samaritan in me. Compassion for a fellow human being. Who knows after this episode he may change his spots a little. One can only hope.

Looking ahead on the dark side we now have in round figures 1 million pensioners on lockdown. The logic being that don't expose yourself to the virus especially when the NHS can't cope with those who are relatively fit and healthy. But when the lockdown ends it is assumed that there will be some herd immunity making the probability of catching the virus less likely. But I think everyone knows that when you release another 1 Million potentially vulnerable people into the mix then the results could be equally devastating. The only real hope is that pensioners and the like carry on with isolation until a vaccine is available. This is going to be a very long haul for some people.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 07:59 The only real hope is that pensioners and the like carry on with isolation until a vaccine is available. This is going to be a very long haul for some people.
Plaques, I understand what you're getting at but will qualify your statement with this. We don't have to wait until a vaccine is available. Nasty viruses are always circulating in the background. It's only when they pass a certain transmission rate (known as R1) in the population that they cause an epidemic. So the objective is to suppress transmission to below that level.
chinatyke wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 00:59 Today, Wuhan has lifted the outbound travel restrictions after 76 days of lock-down.
Here in the UK we've reached 16 days of lockdown and some people are already exhibiting `cabin fever'. They'll say "China has already ended lockdown; surely we can do the same". That 76 days figure is the reason. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 01:57 Ian, has Sally tried ringing what was Albert Hartley's? Worth a try... They are still shifting a lot of cloth.
We will recycle what Kev has offered and we also have a source for some Albert Hartley cloth from an employee who bought some but never got round to using it. Sally is coming to the end of her first batch of 10 bags started yesterday and she has produced 18 more facemasks.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here are the first 10 bags washed and drying on the line, I will do the ironing and chord threading. She has cut out another 17. :smile:

Laundry Bags.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Excellent, well done Sally.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're giving money to the local hospital's fund. If we'd been younger we would probably be volunteering to help them.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm doing my bit to keep several million utility meters working :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 09:06 It's only when they pass a certain transmission rate (known as R1) in the population that they cause an epidemic. So the objective is to suppress transmission to below that level.
. I understand what you are saying ie: if R <1 the rate of transmission from person to person is reducing therefore the epidemic should decline. The problem with this is that Barlick has a population of approx 11000. with a larger percentage of people over 65s than the rest of the UK. it is also a rather isolated community. In effect its not a large city where the numbers would be more meaningful. In order to mean anything statistically a study would have to be made specifically for Barlick which is not going to happen. Even if they declared R <1 for the country I would still self isolated until it became self evident that it was all over. ie: no more locally reported cases. Glass ¼ full that's me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P and Tiz, that's what I meant when I referred to 18 months the other day and got the impression some thought I was being a doom monger. I don't care about 'R1', I've seen what this virus has done to Susan and Mick and I shall be afraid of it until I know there is a viable vaccine and I have a slug of it inside me! So I am with P, roll on a reliable vaccine!
Susan and Mick are improving slowly but still poorly, Mick more so because he started a week after Susan. Both care workers so the likelihood is they got a fairly hefty initial dose.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley, have you seen the reports that the bcg vaccine might give some immunity to the virus? In that case you might be on a winner!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No I haven't Wendy.... I have just had a look and you are right! Best news I have had for a while. If a one off jab for TB (Which of course I had at least twice) can have an effect how about being infused with 50cc a time?
I am not clapping hands but that is certainly cheerful news Love, thank you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

An example of unintended consequences or "Events dear boy" :good:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”