TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 03:34 Only one thing of any note, the sad sight of a dead black cat lay on its side at the top of the steps from the Pioneer Car Park to Co-operative Street.
Spooky, its probably once every blue moon that I look at Barlick Facebook. There on the front page was a call for a missing black cat, white paws etc: could be the same cat. Sad loss for someone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Didn't notice any white paws. Someone has moved it now. Perhaps the owner.... Not a good day for them.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beautiful day yesterday once the mist lifted. At 20:00 it was calm, warm and dry. First thing this morning it was cooler and there was evidence of a shower during the night but by then, calm, overcast and dry. I've just looked outside and it is still the same. The glass has fallen slightly to 1018mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday but a bit brighter perhaps. The wind starts light and SW but by noon is W and moderate. The high is 17C and the low 8C. The outlook is for brighter weather but perhaps slightly cooler. We could see single figures on Monday and Tuesday.
05:40. A very pleasant walk. Calm, mild, dry and a mostly clear sky when we set out. No ground mist this morning until we got into Valley Gardens, there's a bit there but otherwise, the almost full moon clearly visible. As we got back and day dawned there seems to be a bit more high scattered cloud.
Very quiet, I never saw another soul and only two cars. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Watched a film last night so was still up fairly late. I am sure we heard a peel of thunder last night around 11.30 and it was raining around midnight.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 09:04 Watched a film last night so was still up fairly late. I am sure we heard a peel of thunder last night around 11.30 and it was raining around midnight.
There are reports of thunder and lightning on social media, quite loud in Helmshore apparently.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never heard a thing, hard and fast asleep! At 20:00 it was calm dry and mild. Same first thing this morning and the only change since is that we have a heavy mist. The glass is down slightly on 1014mb. The forecast is for a foggy start and a cloudy but dry day. The wind starts off very light and variable but by late morning has settled down as a moderate ENE giving a high of 16C and a low of 2C with a -2C wind chill. Tomorrow and Tuesday into single figures but dry, from then on back to double figures and sun.
05:30. A good walk yet again. Dry, mild calm and heavy mist blocking sight of the moon. Nobody about, ideal time for social distancing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet another good day. At 20:00 it was dry, mild and we had a light wind and broken cloud. This morning first thing it was breezy, cold and a clear sky. Since then we have got broken cloud, still cold and windy. The glass is up on 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry day with full sun. The ENE wind is constant and strong, gusting to over 30mph at times giving a high of 8C and a low of -1C with a -3C wind chill. The outlook is for the weather to start warming up again tomorrow, dry with lots of sun.
06:00. Back in broad daylight from a very cold dry walk under breaking cloud but with a gusty NE wind. Only saw two cars and one person, our friend Christine on her way to work at the Co-op. Not a sign of life anywhere else.
Later, we had our short walk and it is bright but very cold, back to winter for an hour or two!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

4º C when we set off at 7.45 for our pensioners shop at Sainsburys. Dropped Mrs P off then on to the Petrol station while fuel prices are down, Back up Albert Rd to Sainsburys 6º C in their car park. A three mile round trip and not one moving car on the road. Colne is just like a ghost town. All we need is a bit of tumble weed blowing down the main street and the scene is complete.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same in Barlick P. Just think of the economic consequences of all this than add in the mental stress that's going to produce.I have a feeling we ain't seen nothing yet.....
A bitterly cold day yesterday, At 20:00 it was bright, cloudy, breezy and very cold. First thing this morning we had a clear sky, calm and a frost, it's the same now. The glass is up on 1027mb and the forecast is for a bright sunny morning and a cloudier afternoon but still dry. The wind is very light and variable until this afternoon when it settles down to a light west wind. This change of direction gives us a slightly warmer day with a high of 10C and a low of 2C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. Tomorrow and the rest of the week are warmer still, dry and sunny.
05:30. back from a very cold Valley Gardens walk on a calm morning and under a clear sky. The Half moon is setting in the South and it feels very cold. Not a soul about but a tawny Owl in Valley Gardens flew across my path and up into a tree. Thanks to my light sabre I got a good view of it, it sat there in the full beam of my torch and let me have a good long look before floating off into another tree and yes, I've checked the identification on the web!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bright yesterday but cold. At 20:00 it was calm dry and a touch milder than of late. This morning first thing it was calm, clear, cool and dry. I've just popped out and it is still the same. The glass is down slightly on 1021mb. The forecast is for a clear day with full sun all day. The very light westerly wind gives us a high of 14C and a low of 4C with a slight wind chill. The outlook is for similar, warmer weather for the next week.
06:00. Back home from a very acceptable walk. Clear sky with a half moon setting in the South. Calm, dry and a heavy dew that is almost a frost but not quite. Just one milk chap about and someone in a souped up car tootling round all over the place. Can't think what he's up to!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely weather again yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm, clear and cool but not cold. First thing this morning it was the same and hasn't changed since. The glass is just below 1015mb and falling very slowly. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, full sun all day. The ENE wind eventually becomes moderate later in the day but even so the high is 15C and the low 5C with a -3C wind chill when the wind is stronger later in the day. Not a bad day and the outlook is for similar weather for the next week. It's getting very dry, we could do with some rain for the grass and gardens.
05:50. A very acceptable walk, calm, dry, clear sky and not cold. Large crescent moon setting in the South. Big increase in pedestrians, I saw two! Otherwise very quiet.
09:00. Just been out for a short walk and the trees are loving this weather. Leaves have been sprouting every day this week on the Green and today the ornamental cherry behind what used to be Stanley's Crumpets is breaking out into full bloom.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good isolation weather! At 20:00 it was calm, dry and clear. First thing this morning it was calm and we had 50% heavy cloud cover, very fast moving. Just looked outside and no change apart from much less cloud. The glass is up slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry day, clear and sunny for the most part. The wind is in the east and is brisk, gusting to 30mph. It give us a high of 11C and a low of 4C with a -3C wind chill most of the day. Tomorrow is a similar cool day but then it warms up again for the start of next week.
05:55. A good morning again. More cloud, some heavy banks passing over, but good clear spells in the east. Quiet morning, one nice sighting, i still have my light sabre with me and I saw a little movement this morning, it was the tiniest blue tit I have ever seen leaving one of the nest boxes that the volunteers have fixed on the trees in the gardens. Two pedestrians.... the town is heaving. (Not!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was bright but cold. At 20:00 we had broken cloud with big clear patches, a light east wind and it was cold but dry. First thing this morning it was more heavily overcast and there was evidence of a recent very light shower. By the time we went for our walk at 05:20 it had stayed dry, the overcast was still 100% and heavy and the east wind was cold. As we made our way round Valley Gardens and the town centre the cloud started to break and by the time we got home the sun was coming in under the clouds and painting them red. Very quiet, nobody at all about on foot and a sign of the times, Jack decided to stop in the middle of the zebra crossing outside the Post Office Corner and give me his first instalment of the day. No problem, not a car in sight! By the time we got back home it was daylight.
The glass is steady on just over 1016mb. The forecast is for a cloudy but dry day. The wind is a constant moderate easterly, occasionally NE and it gives a high of 10C and the low 5C with a chill of as much as -4C. The outlook is for brighter weather and rising temperatures but today, make sure you wrap up well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A chilly day yesterday with some sun and scattered showers later in the afternoon. At 20:00 it was dry, a light breeze, breaking cloud and cool. First thing this morning it was the same but a clear sky, I've just looked out and we have less wind but still dry and clear. The glass is up on 1019mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is for a dry clear day with full sun. The constant east wind is moderate and rises slowly all day gusting to 30mph later and giving a high of 13C and a low of 4C with a -3C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is for similar bright weather for the next week with gradually rising temperatures.
04:55. That's right, we went out early. It was just how things fell this morning. I saw just one car. When we went out there was a bit of cloud coming over and a few spots of rain on the wind but this soon cleared. Our walk was dry, almost calm, cool but not cold. It could have been much worse. (And it was perfect social distancing strategy!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is a re-run of yesterday. The only difference is that the east wind is stronger and gusts to almost 40mph giving a wind chill of -4C for most of the day. The high will be 12C and the low 5C. The outlook is for similar weather but it won't warm up until we lose this east wind!
05:50. Back after a dry walk but the wind is getting up and it's bitterly cold. The sky is clear and the sun will soon come in to improve matters but it's never going to feel warm in this wind.
Score was 4 pedestrians this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bright but chilly yesterday. at 20:00 it was clear, a light breeze, dry and cool. Same first thing this morning and no change as I write. The glass is back on 1019mb and steady. The forecast is basically exactly the same as yesterday. Dry and full sun all day tempered by that east wind which gusts to 40mph again and gives a high of 13C and a low of 5C with a -4C wind chill all day. The outlook is for it to warm slightly tomorrow and for the rest of the week.
05:35. A very acceptable walk. Calmer than yesterday at this time so not as cold. Perfectly clear sky, no pedestrians and only a couple of cars about. The economy isn't doing very well at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This good weather is almost boring! Another perfect day yesterday marred only by that wind. At 20:00 the sky was clear, we had a light breeze and it was mild. First thing this morning it was calm, clear, mild and dry. I've just looked out and it hasn't changed. The glass is hardly changed, steady on 1020mb. The forecast is a rerun of yesterday, full sun all day. The same east wind all day, moderate and gusting to over 30mph gives us a high of 15C and a low of 5C with a -3Cwind chill. The outlook gives no hint of change.
05:50. A good walk. Calm so no wind chill and not cold. We were out a bit later and it was our first real daylight morning walk of the year. Just a couple of people about, but obvious from the shops that normal economic activity is almost zero. Even some food shops are closed. Basically, the town is dead.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another in the succession of nice days! At 20:00 it was clear, cool, a light wind and dry. It was the same first thing this morning and the only change since is that the wind has dropped, it's calm now. The glass is rock steady on 1020mb. The forecast is for a more overcast day but still dry. The wind is still in the east and constant but lighter today giving us a high of 17C and a low of 5C with a -2C chill at times. It will feel much warmer. The outlook shows no change for the next 5 days.....
05:30.

This was the Eastern sky as we returned from our Valley Gardens walk. Almost calm, 50% cloud and very pleasant. Noticeable how the trees are rapidly breaking into leaf. Birds singing their hearts out. I heard something about that yesterday, have a look in wildlife corner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and mild and calm at 20:00 with a clearing sky. Same first thing this morning and I have just popped outside, calm and clear, not cold! The glass has fallen to 1015mb. The forecast is for full sun all day and a very light east wind giving a high of 17C, a low of 5C and a negligible -1C wind chill. Looks like a good day and no big changes in the outlook.
05:40. A very pleasant walk. Calm clear dry and mild. Birds singing their hearts out. Some very strange people about these days. There was a young man on Church Street this morning dressed in black, a very strange looking mask, talking to himself and acting in a very agitated manner. He kept swinging round to look at me and Jack. I was glad when he disappeared round the corner down Skipton Road. My guess is that he was high on something but what would I know about things like that...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today could be the last of the sunny days for a while. Yesterday was lovely and at 20:00 it was calm, mild clear and dry. Same first thing this morning and the same now. The glass is down a touch on 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry day with full sun. The story is in the wind. It starts light and easterly but later in the day backs into the west and gives us a high of 18C and a low of 8C. A -2C wind chill with the east wind but none when it swings into the west. The outlook is for cooler cloudier weather and even some welcome rain!
06:00. A daylight walk and just a padded shirt with no reflective harness. No need for my light sabre! The sky is milky and there is a ground mist but I have no doubt that can clear later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a beautiful day and because the wind was lighter, it felt warm. At 20:00 it was calm clear and mild. Same first thing this morning and no change since. The glass is down a touch on 1009mb. The forecast is for a sunny day at first but becoming cloudy later. The wind is a light westerly at first strengthening later on to moderate and giving a high of 14C and a low of 6C. The outlook is for more of this cooler Atlantic weather and perhaps even a shower of welcome rain later in the week.
05:50. A pleasant walk. The sky is clear but milky and the distance is hazy, almost like a very light ground mist. I think the sun will break through but there is a definite change in the weather. I can believe the forecast of cloud this afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was correct and cloud won the day in the afternoon but it was still decent weather. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and cool. Same this morning first thing and it hadn't changed when we went for our Valley Garden walk. Calm, overcast, an occasional spot of rain but on the whole dry. Very slow to become light this morning, the overcast must be thick. The glass is down a bit again, just a bit under 1005mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day but dry with some sunny spells. The constant west wind is light and gives a high of 12C and a low of 6C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather but slightly cooler with a chance of a light shower at almost any time. What we really need is a spell of good rain in the night and sun in the day... Dream on Stanley!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beautiful full sun! We must be getting someone else's weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We’ve had a good soaking of late with a sunny day here and there. It’s showers to heavy showers, with a cold-front coming in tomorrow afternoon for us until Saturday.

That should keep us all inside.
Very good Isolation weather. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're short of rain here Cathy, the ground is parched and cracking, very unusual for us in this part of the country at the end of April. However, the recent locked in high pressure will go away now as the jet stream has switched from its track to the north and is passing to the south of the isles. This is going to let colder air come down from the north but ultimately let the Atlantic systems in from the west and that's where we will get our rain from.
It's never just right is it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”