TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 09 May 2020, 03:07 n the town I keep forgetting to mention that William Hill have left the old Midland Bank in Newtown. The door is boarded up but as yet no for sale or lease signs. Looks like another fine building looking for a use. Difficult to see what that could be.
The building has been vacant for over six months Stanley and there has been sale notices on it. Also some interest shown that I know of but the owners, are being a bit backward at coming forward so to say.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Quite a few bookies have closed up their high street operations, I dont know if the idea is to bundle them up for sale, or await change of use to residential in a lot of places, I feel that the Covid-19 situation has changed if not their thinking, then the pace and ultimate desired or achievable outcome. London at present warm and sunny enough, we get the cooler weather tomorrow.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 09 May 2020, 03:07 . Looks like another fine building looking for a use. Difficult to see what that could be.
I converted a smaller bank premises to a Citizens Advice Bureau, so if not residential or high class restuarant then some kind of community use , but Barnoldswick has a number of Community Venues any other charities over and above the cancer ones that can think of anything.

London in passing to the photo, the Cherry Blossom probably went five or six weeks ago, feb was warmish and got it out early, then some hefty winds came though it endured it was not for long.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I know of a group who have made enquiries but as I said above the owners seem reluctant to give information. The building is lumped in with others around the country and they look to sell them off as job lots to larger building concerns. The owners have 600 properties on their list.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew it was empty Ian but it was the boarding up that got my attention. I don't like that, makes the town centre look abandoned!
Lovely day yesterday and still nice at 20:00. First thing this morning cool, calm and clear. The glass is down on 1007mb and falling. The forecast is for an overcast day, perhaps some cloud breaking later this afternoon. Dry, no rain forecast. The story is the wind which is going to be a strong NE giving a high of 9C and a low of 1C tonight with as much as -5C wind chill. A different day altogether and a repetition promised tomorrow. After that a chance of a slow warm up but nothing spectacular. Heavy coat again for a day or two!
05:40. A padded shirt walk. Not bad at all. The cloud has arrived and the sun is showing briefly through a gap in the East. No chance of it getting to us I think. The wind is starting to rise but is not yet at its coldest. I have had worse walks in May!
09:00. Just had a trot round the Green with Jack. That NE wind is starting to grow in strength and it's cold! Still a good dry morning but a different day altogether than yesterday. If you are going out wrap up warm!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That wind was bitter yesterday! At 20:00 we had well broken cloud, a moderate cold breeze and it was dry. First thing this morning it was cold, light breeze and a mainly clear sky. Still the same as I write. The glass has risen sharply and is on 1020mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday but with a better chance of a sunny interval. There is a chance of a shower late morning. The NE wind is constant but lighter than yesterday. The high is 9C and the low 3C with as much as a -5C wind chill. It will feel like below freezing until mid morning. Wrap up even warmer! The outlook is for two more days of this and then the temperature starts to creep up again from Thursday.
05:50. A Crombie and padded shirt walk on a morning that is cold enough to make that a sensible decision. There's a light, very cold breeze and clear patches coming in from the north east but not enough to allow the sun in yet. Despite that, a good walk and lovely air, like wine. All right if you keep moving.
09:00. Been for a short trot with Jack on the Green. Glad to get back indoors, that wind is cold, sub zero with the wind chill. Wrap up well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More sun than forecast but still that cold wind. At 20:00 we had a light cold breeze and a bright sky with broken cloud. This morning it's calmer with a mainly clear sky but heavy overcast in the East. The glass is steady on 1019mb. The forecast is for a dry brighter day. The wind has changed and is mainly NW giving a high of 10C and a low of 2C with a -3C wind chill. A slight improvement but tomorrow we slip back a bit then going forwards we have a slow warm up.
06:00. A good morning. We have a frost, it's calm and a clear sky so low sun is coming in already. The air is like wine and I am convinced is as good as medicine! Not a bad start to the day...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The surprise yesterday was light rain in the afternoon, it freshened the new growth up! This morning it was calm, signs of a light shower in the night, scattered cloud giving 50% cover. A bot more cloud has come in since. The glass is down a touch on 1015mb. The forecast is for a sunny start and clouded by midday but dry. The wind is back to a moderate NE and this accounts for it being colder, 9C for a high and -1C tonight for a low with a -3C wind chill so protect those tender plants again tonight. The outlook is for it to start warming up from tomorrow onwards but don't expect hot weather!
05:25. A good walk. It's cold but calm so a padded shirt and a scarf sufficed. 100% overcast as we went out but by the time we got back there were breaks in the cloud in the east and low sun was getting though to us, looks hopeful! The greenery in Valley Gardens benefited from the light showers, freshened it up nicely but there's only a trickle coming over my rain gauge, the Corn Mill Dam. We could do with some proper rain. Looks like a good day for a long walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold but overall bright and a good day. At 20:00 it was clear and cold with a light breeze. First thing this morning calm, clear and cold. Still the same and I think a frost. The glass is up on 1020mb. The forecast is for a sunny start to a dry day. The wind starts light and increases a bit as the day goes on n or NW all day giving a high of 11C and a low of 3C with a wind chill of -3C. Starting to warm up a bit and that is the trend for the next few days.
05:30. A pleasant walk. Clear and frosty but calm so a padded shirt and a scarf were sufficient. Air like wine and hardly a soul in sight. Ideal social distancing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another small improvement in temperature yesterday and good sun. At 20:00 it was clear calm and nippy. First thing this morning it was calm and cool under a clear sky . Just looked out and no change, lovely dawn light in the East even now. The glass is rock steady on 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry day with a mixture of sun and overcast. The constant W or NW wind is light to moderate giving a high of 12C and a low of 6c with a wind chill of up to -3C. The outlook is for continued slow improvement leading to some warmer weather. Very dry, we could do with some rain in the night!
05:50. We went out in low sun, calm and cool but a very pleasant morning. As we progressed the cloud started to build from the NW and now we have lost the sun. Still a good morning though. Butts Beck is down to a trickle, the moor must be getting very dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another acceptable but cold day yesterday, it's getting boring! At 20:00 last night we had a largely clear sky and a light NW wind so cool and dry. The same first thing this morning and I have just popped out, it's calm, cool, dry and 100% overcast. The glass is unchanged, rock steady on 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day, perhaps some breaks this evening allowing a glimpse of the sun. One hopeful sign is that the moderate wind is tending to WSW instead of the north giving us a high of 12C and a low of 8C tonight with a slightly lower wind chill of -2 or -3C all day. The trend is for a gradual warm up until by mid week we should have some genuinely warm and sunny weather. But we still need rain!
05:35. A pleasant walk, calm, cool, dry and overcast. That's about it really. Only a trickle running in Butts Beck. The blackbirds in Valley Gardens are wise old birds, probably due to our regularity, they ignore me and Jack completely. No alarm calls and they will let me get to within two feet of them. I mention it because this morning Jack had a pee about 9" away from one and it never moved. It was so still I thought for a minute it might be injured but as he passed it started feeding again in the same spot. Absolutely no fear. Quite remarkable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Big surprise in an otherwise uneventful day was large spots of rain at 9AM, not enough to qualify as a shower! At 20:00 it was mild, a light breeze and broken cloud. First thing this morning it was the same but with a light overcast, Just looked out and the only change is that the cloud is broken now. The glass has dropped slightly to 1019mb. The forecast is very boring, a dry day but overcast all day. The constant WSW wind is going to be moderate and give a high of 13C and a low of 9C with a constant -3C wind chill. The outlook is for it to continue to warm up, chance of a shower for the next two days and then some brighter warmer weather perhaps. Nothing exciting!
05:40. Back from another pleasant walk. Dry, overcast, very light wind and just a hint of rain in the air. Barlick is dead, I didn't see another soul and no traffic at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day with more sun than predicted in the forecast. At 20:00 it was still a nice evening. First thing this morning it was calm, mild, dry and 80% overcast. Still the same. The glass has dropped slightly to 1016mb and is still falling slowly. The forecast is for light rain to come in around 08:00 and persist all day. The constant WSW wind will be brisk and gives a high of 13C and a low of 10C with up to -3C wind chill as the wind gusts to 30mph. Chance of more rain tomorrow then a rapid warm up later in the week. Looks quite growy which is nice. I noted yesterday that some silage is being cut already.
05:35. A good walk, bracing because there is a brisk wind already but not cold. The overcast is complete and there have already been some spots of rain but nothing to bother us on our Valley Gardens walk. Things could be worse and we need some rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second walk and it hasn't started raining yet...
I noticed our street sweeper cleaning up broken glass from another broken window in the Station Road shelter, the second that has been broken in there just lately There's been another one broken in the Skipton Road shelter as well. Someone has got into a bad habit and needs nabbing! What possible benefit can anyone get from vandalism like this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gentle rain all day, very welcome! At 20:00 it was damp and overcast but dry with alight west wind. First thing this morning it was the same with broken cloud, since then the cloud has increased and very light rain is starting to come in. The glass did rise slightly but has now started to fall again and is exactly where it was yesterday, 1016mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast all day, good chance of rain at first petering out by 11:00. The moderate WSW wind gives a high of 13C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill all day. The outlook is much better, a very warm sunny day tomorrow followed by more warm dry weather. This will cure the parched areas of grass on the Green! Good news for the farmers and gardeners.
05:35. Another pleasant walk but different as we have light rain, It's otherwise calm and mild and it is such a treat to see Mother Nature enjoying herself. Only one other pedestrian and less than half a dozen cars and vans. Very quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After the light rain yesterday afternoon was very pleasant and it was the same at 20:00 when Jack went for his evening pee. First thing this morning it was the same, mild, calm and a light overcast and it hasn't changed. The glass is up slightly on 1019mb. The forecast is for the overcast to burn off and we are in for a dry day. The wind is very light and variable visiting west and east before settling down later to a light SSW breeze. The high will be 23C and the low 10C with virtually no wind chill. Barlick summer! The outlook for the rest of the week is similar quiet warm weather, not as hot but improving and very growy. This and better will do!
05:30. A very nice walk. Calm, thin high wispy cloud and mist in the bottoms, from Wendy's we will look like a sea of white especially now after we have got home because the sun has broken through and the mist has thinned, it will soon burn off. The growth has increased exponentially over the last couple of days. In Valley Gardens it is rampant!
Nice...
06:30. The sun is here now full throttle at the moment. 23C looks possible and could be an underestimate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:18 The building has been vacant for over six months Stanley and there has been sale notices on it. Also some interest shown that I know of but the owners, are being a bit backward at coming forward so to say.
Not really weather - but for sake of continuity Newtown Bank Doesn't seem to be any mystery, and the fact that it was reduced today is interesting Seems well priced to me - unless there are conditions attached.

Obsessed with Barlick moi? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The building was originally Martins Bank then HSBC, when the bank closed it was bought by William Hill I think it was and operated as a bookmakers. They pulled out and the building became part of their portfolio, they had something like 600+ properties on their books and were bundling premises in groups of 10 or so and trying to sell as speculation lots. This building was included in a block and they originally would not entertain any enquiries unless you were interested in the whole batch. They were not interested in individual bids on single properties. Looks like they have now reneged as the market is so depressed under current conditions.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That looks right Ian. The small print says words to the effect -' make your own enquiries about the business rates'. I guess still payable until change of use planning permission is granted. This is one for the professionals. Looks a good building though, and I guess it comes with a good safe. :smile:

I don't think there is any meaningful property market at the moment. I know of deals that have collapsed, and if and when this is over -there will be a stand off between buyers anxious not to pay too much, - banks,anxious not to lend too much - and sellers anxious not to get too little.

There will be a balance eventually. I don't know at what level.

Sorry - back to the weather. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, you're right a beautiful building for a cheap price and I bet they'd entertain an offer.
I shaved my head yesterday.....
Yesterday was a perfect summer day. At 20:00 it was clear, mild and calm. Same first thing this morning and it hasn't changed. The glass is almost down to 1014mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, possibly a light shower around 09:00. The light to moderate wind is mostly westerly and gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C with negligible wind chill. Outlook is for similar weather. All quiet weather and growy.
05:50. A pleasant walk. Calm, mild, mostly clear with some high cloud which blocks the low sun intermittently but nevertheless, promising. Quiet growy weather. We can't really ask for more even if it is a bit cooler.
The town is quiet also, actually change that to moribund.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday still turned out nice again in the afternoon even though cooler. At 20:00 it was calm, mild and pleasant even though overcast. First thing this morning we have light but significant rain. It's still raining and just what Nature needs. (I hope it's raining on Tiz, it will help his hayfever!) The glass is down on 1003mb and still falling. The forecast is for the rain to stop in the next hour and for us then to have bright overcast with sunny intervals and perhaps a light shower later. The wind is basically southerly and will be very brisk gusting to almost 50mph this afternoon. This gives us a high of 15C and a low of 9C with a wind chill of as much as -5C in the strongest winds. A bit of a change and colder tomorrow but then the temperature starts climbing steadily towards some warmer weather mid-week. We needed this and it will do good, just what the grass needed!
06:05. It was still raining steadily as we went out but has started to lessen now. Luckily the wind hasn't got up yet and so it has been a nice walk if you appreciate nature welcoming a good wet! It must have been a good fall overnight because Butts Beck has gone from a trickle to a miller's flow overnight. Very welcome and just what we need.
08:00. Light cloud and full sun. Lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was a good wuther yesterday but mild, lots of stuff blown out of trees. At 20:00 it was dry, windy and broken cloud. Calmer first thing this morning but dry and broken cloud, there's been a shower earlier in the night. Just looked outside and there are big breaks in the cloud coming in, still dry. The glass is up on 1008mb. The forecast is for bright overcast with sunny spells and after dinner chance of light showers. The constant WSW wind is almost as strong as yesterday and gives a high of 12C and a low of 10C with a -4C wind chill. Basically same as yesterday and the outlook is for a gradual improvement.
05:40. A chilly, wind-blown walk under a ragged sky. An occasional spatter of raindrops but no sustained rain. Plenty of fresh air and the trees look good despite the battering they had yesterday. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another blustery day and some quite large branches pulled of of the trees. I decided it was best not to walk through Valley Gardens under the trees, quite a few dead ones overhanging the path. At 20:00 we had a wind, dry with broken cloud and clear patches. Still a breeze first thing this morning, cool and light rain. Just looked out, angry dark clouds still but the rain has stopped. The glass is up on 1018mb and still rising. The forecast is for rain until early afternoon when it will cease and the cloud will start to break. The constant west wind is strong but less so than yesterday, gusts to 35mph. The high will be 14C the low 7C and the wind chill -3C. The outlook is for steady improvement and warmer. Tomorrow will be sunny.
05:35. A waterproof hoodie walk. Gusty wind, overcast and intermittent rain all the way. The beck in Butts is back down to a trickle. No major limbs dropped in Valley Gardens despite the dead trees. It's very sheltered down there. Town dead, one lone pedestrian and one police car! I note this morning that all the lights were off in the Fountains Inn. Unusual, there are usually a few on even this early.
08:30. Second walk on the Green, wind not bad but cool, it isn't raining at the moment. Could be worse but still an inside day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day started to behave itself during the afternoon. At 20:00 the cloud was breaking, the wind falling and it was a low more pleasant. First thing this morning cool, calm, clear and dry, It's still the same. We are going to get a respite. The glass rose steadily from noon onwards yesterday and this morning is on almost 1030 and still rising. The forecast is for a dry day with full sun. The wind starts briefly as a light easterly but will soon back to a moderate westerly later in the day giving a high of 17C and a low of 10C with a -3C wind chill later. The outlook is for further improvement over the next five days. Nice!
05:50. Beautiful morning. Calm clear, cool and the air is like wine. Even this early there is real warmth in the sun.
Remember my angst about the ravens and the louvred exhaust for the ventilation on the end of what was the Pigeon Club? I have noted a couple of times that they have cracked the job now and this morning watched them closely and saw how they are doing it. One of the aluminium louvres doesn't close properly, there is a gap. They fly to it (a vertical face with no toe holds) hover briefly while they flip the louvre up and pop in. Masters of the air! I can stop worrying about that now...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect early summer day yesterday. At 20:00 high thin cloud and dry. First thing this morning, calm, mild and overcast but dry, it hasn't changed. The glass has been steady for 24 hours on 1030mb. The forecast is for a more overcast day breaking later. The west wind is moderate giving us a high of 16C and a low of 7C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is dry and getting warmer with more sun.
05:50. A pleasant walk under 100% overcast, a hint of mizzle in the air at 05:00 but that soon ceased. Calm as yet and not cold. I have had much worse walks! The town is as usual, very quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”