POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I think you're certainly right P in that they are not actually telling us what the thinking is. R numbers comes under 'expert's advice' and that is what they are hiding behind. If it goes pear shaped, simply blame the advice. This is wearing thin now and I think they know it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Fishing quotas have been one of the main planks of 'take back control' when we left the EU. Research now shows that England has sold off a large chunk of their fishing quotas to foreign owners. Quotas . In effect taking back control is meaningless unless foreign owned quotas have to be compulsory sold back to English owners. A legal nightmare that the government wouldn't want to get into. The whole business is a tangled mess that would take years to resolve. The easy answer would be to nationalse the industry but this is a total nonstarter. In reality we will continue to hear a lot of bluster and aspirations but at the end of the day it will all be put to to the EU's intransigence that unfortunately we have to leave things as they are.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting P. However, that assumes there is going to be an agreement. The way things are going now it looks as though yet one more massive cock-up is going to be the most likely dénouement and a crash out. God knows what they will do then. History is going to have a field day when this lot is mulled over. Add in the depression we will already be in and 1920 looks like a walk in the park.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 16 May 2020, 11:59 Fishing quotas have been one of the main planks of 'take back control' when we left the EU. Research now shows that England has sold off a large chunk of their fishing quotas to foreign owners. Quotas . In effect taking back control is meaningless unless foreign owned quotas have to be compulsory sold back to English owners. A legal nightmare that the government wouldn't want to get into. The whole business is a tangled mess that would take years to resolve. The easy answer would be to nationalse the industry but this is a total nonstarter. In reality we will continue to hear a lot of bluster and aspirations but at the end of the day it will all be put to to the EU's intransigence that unfortunately we have to leave things as they are.
Even if the UK fishing waters were fished by UK fleets, much of the catch goes to market in France , Spain and other Med. Countries where they like varied seafood, will the export red tape hold up the fast exports - tariff ?? free ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to the angst being poured out in the media about the fact that in future the jobs market is going to be completely different and the young are going to have to pay for decades. Absolutely right but most of the discussion is centred on the relatively privileged, higher education and better supported apprenticeships to maximise skills. We also need to do something about the underclass that has no opportunity, no prospects, bad education and consequent below living standard wages and zero hours dead end jobs. They have been with us for the last twenty years at least and have been largely ignored. In years to come there could be a backlash from this reservoir of misery. Add the families sinking into debt further and further under pressures already rampant in society and it is almost certain that the politics of inequality are going to be at least as important as those of income. I see no signs of this being addressed. Everyone can't go back to Uni to do a Masters!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There was a long article by the defence correspondent of The Times last Saturday explaining how US defence staff have been shocked to find they are now unlikely to be able to hold off China if a war started between the two countries. They're now rushing to beef up their weapons and develop new ones. China will soon have much bigger and powerful armed forces and would be able to take over Taiwan and wipe out US forces in South Korea, Japan and Guam. As someone has said, this is the beginning of the Second Cold War and the US is struggling to keep up. China is the opponent now, not Russia.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not surprising Tiz considering the level of paranoia at present in the US. This is bolstered by a President who is erratic and has simplistic ideas about foreign policy. The root is of course the inevitable rise of China who are now on course to be the biggest world economy supplanting the US.
Here at home, the pigeons are coming home to roost. Criticism is rising on all sides, including senior Tories and we are being flooded with denials of responsibility for what is becoming all too obvious. As I predicted in March, the 'scientific advice' is now being cited as the root of the problem. This is as much a fudge as the minister's interminable justifications and promises. I have reached the stage where I have no confidence in them whatsoever.
Remember when I said that Johnson's poisoned chalice was worse that Teresa's? He appears to be using his ministers as a human shield now. How long can that continue?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Wednesday PMQs could be interesting, for finding enlightenment, Starmer needs to ask questions one way, for tying Johnson up unfortunately a different line of questions is needed, what is best for the country tomorrow? ( I am thinking dissenting or alternative scientific advice that was politically rejected (by whom)).
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I doubt China needs a military war, its soft power gives it what it needs for now, problem is that the idea of 'economic growth' (china and elsewhere), seems to come at such an enviromental cost that the living becomes for many people, meaningless.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted the unemployment figures yesterday and listened to the opinions about job prospects for the young and old. Then I listened to Rishi Sunak commenting on the situation. Whilst not spelling it out he gave me the impression that he has his own opinions about how bad things are going to get later in the year and in the aftermath of Covid and Brexit. This got me to thinking about the number of people struggling and using credit now and what the future holds. It isn't a pretty picture.
Then I listened to a lady who is an official in the department responsible for employment. Her official version completely ignored reality and dealt in generalisations about the bleeding obvious and I reflected that some politicians must think we are all morons. In essence she was saying that the government was funding the situation and it was all right. Same line when another official was quizzed about the state of care homes and the social services. No recognition at all of the fact we all know, that for years we have ignored the advice and underfunded the sector. Remember the 2011 report by the Dilnot Commission?
We are getting the same official line from all departmental spokespersons. In the end the pigeons will come home to roost and one gets the impression that some Tory MPs are beginning to realise this and voice concerns. Watch this space!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

It's already been noted about Rolls-Royce figures. What the govt needs to start thinking about is how best to re-deploy redundant persons in new roles, some in the economy elsewhere, others in new enterprises doing new things for a greener and leaner future. of course the media at 9am today did not consider its is not only Rolls-Royce but its suppliers and sub-contractors. Personally I would go for an infrastructure re-build, we are going to want if not need, more railway capacity - more carriages, less passengers so more routes, so Manchester to Sheffield by the present closed route and Manchester to derby. I would also switchHS2 to the south coast and link direct to HS1 - lots of burrowing under London or an outer london Banbury - Luton - Stevenage-Stansted- Chelmsford- Margate Routing connecting via new thames tunnels.this would replace much air travel .

BoJo thinks as me '" 12:33
National skills fund to help young people, says PM

Conservative MP Lucy Allan asks about youth unemployment and the impact of coronavirus on young people.
"Will he ensure the recovery strategy will focus on young people?" She asks.
Mr Johnson says they will be supporting young people with a "new national skills fund" worth £2.5bn.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question, how will democracy and participation work in the future - especially for the older or general illness persons needing sheltering to participate in local government (or opposition?) for the near and further future ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Johnson is coming under attack from his own side over charging immigrant workers in the NHS for their treatment. His inflated estimates have been revised by the House of Commons Library down to £35million annually. A small price to pay for the unselfish help they give us. Some backbench Tory MPs are attacking the policy. Quite right!
As an old and unreformed social democrat I look at the latest Rich List and note that some of the top ten are domiciled in tax havens and don't pay any tax here. Some of the others are claiming relief under Sunak's packages. High time these privileges were reformed but as a former Hedge Fund man Sunak may be hesitant to attack the hand that fed him. Don't hold your breath!
In effect, these parasites are putting two fingers up to the rest of us particularly the very poor.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Speaking of putting two fingers up.... The Cummings affair whilst not a deal-breaker in itself is a good example of bad leadership and thus reflects on Johnson. Classic example of do as I say not as I do and in effect showing contempt for the proles locked in their urban high rise flats. It's a question of example and Mr Cummings is not a shining example of someone to be admired and copied. At the moment party unity is protecting him but there are enough people who dislike him to change this over the weekend. Remember his stint with Gove ending in a similar flurry of discontent? Not a team player and a warning to Johnson that his natural instinct to espouse the Crosbys and Cummings' of this world could be a mistake and rebound on him at a time when he is entering a period fraught with political danger on more than one front. Will he see self-preservation as a strong enough motive to act?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Johnson has said that the Irish boarder issue has been solved. The UK will document and apply all necessary tariffs and legal obligations on goods going to Ireland but goods coming into the UK from Ireland will not be subject to the same rules. Having said this the UK will not have the necessary infrastructure in place for when we crash out. Still suffering under the 'Get Brexit Done' slogan it looks like asking for an exit extension will never happen. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face it looks like common sense has gone out of the window.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Predictable for the last couple of hours - since he went in at 12.30 pm and has not emerged yet. It doesn't take so long to sack someone, but it does to get the cover story straight.

Boris said that 'in every respect - Dominic Cummngs has acted responsibly, legally, and with integrity'.

Now we know who really is the Prime Minister. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I might comment on cummings and the news reportings later. one of my odd phone news feeds suggests from the Daily Express is that the UK have published all their brexit negotiating demands.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cummings must be a very reluctant father. Travelling 260 miles for childcare rather than look after his own child!? Any fool father can manage for a few days, surely! It isn’t rocket science...
Maybe his punishment should be compulsory child care classes.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny that three Irish ports have said they are putting in full customs facilities for UK trade....
I agree with P and David, they are going for the full monty, Brexit plus virus recession. It's a stress test.....
I read THIS Guardian report. Let's see what the day brings.
A thought... Cummings' trademark is contempt for anyone who opposes him. He may find that this works in reverse, it certainly has with me. I have nothing but contempt for his actions and what it says about his attitude to the proles. Johnson backs him and this could be a mistake that he later regrets. Very nasty stuff out there. This says so much about quality of leadership and ethics in high office.
Later, a thought has occurred to me. There are many parallels between Cummings' attitude to the proles over lockdown and the general government attitude for ten years on Austerity policies. Two fingers up to the proles.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Cummings saga is taking on Jarndyce v Jarndyce proportions. The end detail will probable get lost in a web of confusion. What is abundantly clear is that as the number advisor to Boris Johnson he should have planned ahead in case the coronary virus infection hit him. This theme of not being prepared for consequences, intended or otherwise, runs through all the whole government programmes. Get Brexit Done, Trade deals, Irish boarder control, Running down the NHS, Immigration numbers, Tax evasion loopholes, Climate change, on and on it goes. They seem to have forgotten the old Boy Scout motto 'Be Prepared'.
Be Prepared..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've been to Barnard Castle - there, I've admitted it. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. :smile:

Didn't see the Castle or the River Tees- no time, but we went to the Bowes Museum and saw the Silver swan. There was a 'camera obscura' in the garden which was strangely fascinating in a Victorian sort of way. Some good pottery in the museum part.

We walked down the main street, and I remember a second hand book shop where I continued my quest for a certain author - pre-internet, and with no success - though at least they had heard of him.

It also gives me the opportunity to correct Stanley from elsewhere today, - It's lightly not slightly. :smile: Clean bright and lightly oiled

We also saw Hannah Hauxwell which was another treat.

I don't understand why Cummings just went to loaf around near the river, when there's all that sort of thing to do. Oh wait a minute - it's all closed due to some virus sort of panic isn't it? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I stand corrected David, typo plus old age.
Did you check your vision as you drove to Barnard Castle? (I mean.... really?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Does his wife not drive? When I didn't feel fit to drive home from our bucket and spade holiday with the grandchildren it wasn't a problem Sally brought us home. Rose garden for his delivery yesterday, really!
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

None of my beeswax of course....but that guy needs to go!
( ooooo dear...I said something political).
How many people have suffered following the rules? Too many.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

What I detest is the fact that he is afforded the rights of Presidents and other world leaders and he is unelected. Shades of Rasputin, is wishing he would meet the same end a bit harsh?

Boris is trying to hang on to him as his main chaos provider. He needs him to deflect from the two biggest gaffs in British history. I reckon he must have something on Boris that he needs to hide, maybe a list of all the women he has bedded or how many kids he really has and won't admit.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”