Plaques in Barlick

rossylass
Regular User

Plaques in Barlick

Post by rossylass »

There is a plaque on ? the old Post Office which mentions that it was the site of a theatre which used to visit Barlick, but doesn't say when. Can anyone shed any light upon this please?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Plaques in Barlick

Post by PanBiker »

If you are referring to Post Office Buildings (1958), before the present building there were wooden shops and prior to that hoardings. That side of Fearnlea Avenue was not full built up until after WWI. A temporary war memorial was on the junction with Fernlea and Albert Road before Steele's Building was built. I would think the plaque probably refers to before WWI and the period between the wars when that area below was relatively sparse. Stanley may well be able to expand on this. There is a picture on the site looking up Station Road where you can just see the end of the hoardings.

Station Road post 1892

One of the earlier town maps, maybe a section of the 6" or 25" series would be useful.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

In the current climate - i quickly read the topic heading as Plagues in Barlick.
Phew - thought there might be another one. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Steady Tripps I thought you were referring to me then. Plague on Plaques. or PoP. :biggrin2:

Back to reality.
rossylass wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 13:51 There is a plaque on ? the old Post Office which mentions that it was the site of a theatre which used to visit Barlick, but doesn't say when. Can anyone shed any light upon this please?
The plaque doesn't say when the travelling theatre used to play here jut a passing reference that it did at one time.
P9290028AC.jpg
P9290032AC.jpg
P9230108AC.jpg
P9230110AC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yup, early 20th century. A wooden travelling theatre used to land up there at certain times of the year.
See LTP, Emma Clark's evidence. She says that Leyburn's Travelling Theatre used to arrive and stay for about 6 months giving performances in a large wooden hut.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Plots of Land / Farmland would be rented or leased by the likes of The Showmans Guild for the use of funfairs, circuses and the like, I presume the Car Boot paddock at the Kelbrook Roundabout is one of these , used for farm /grazing but with a normally two week at a time two or three times a year, similar could be for touring theatres and so on, if the land had hordings around it sometimes that would be used by showmen as winter parking up land in or near town.
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Wow, Thanks for all that! I'm going to look the theatre up. It may have been Leybourne's theatre. Oooh! Very exciting!

The plague answers are dead funny!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

rossylass wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 12:40 Wow, Thanks for all that! I'm going to look the theatre up. It may have been Leybourne's theatre. Oooh! Very exciting!
Sent to me by my good friend Ken Ranson a couple of old paper cutting from 'The Stage' Aug 1897 and July 27 1897. It may be another avenue for you to investigate.

Theartre 1.jpg
Theatre 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Low comedy'...... I like that, I suspect that's what we need at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I had forgotten about The Stage, Try The World's Fair too.

Would the theatre/s have given inspiration for the Majestic at a slightly later date?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

In my tireless supervision of the local property market, I came across this today. Checkout photo No 24. I wasn't allowed to copy it, just the link. I think the date is 1831. I wonder when the 'and' was added. There must be a story there. :smile:

Interesting plaque
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 23 May 2020, 13:15 In my tireless supervision of the local property market, I came across this today. Checkout photo No 24. I wasn't allowed to copy it, just the link. I think the date is 1831. I wonder when the 'and' was added. There must be a story there. :smile:

Interesting plaque
I suspect the info might just be in Wendy's files or resources
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stoopes Hill Plaque 1831. Thanks Tripps for reminding me about this one. It was one I'd missed on my walkouts a couple of years ago. I had it down on my list to revisit it sometime along with another one which I can't remember at all. ( photographic memory starting to drop a few pixels) I seem to remember it was shown on a Facebook '(Earby, people, and places, Then and Now.) run by John Jones, Thousands of old potographs, a good site. But no story on this one just 'guess where this is' sort of thing.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Would I be able to find you in Facebook land Plaques?
Later...Think I have, Mr Plaq I presume?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I'm not a historian in any sense of the word my appearance on the Earby site was just to use up some of my stock of pictures and add a bit of interest about some of the buildings. More of an ego trip than anything else. Born and bred in Burnley which was my main focus for most of my pictures I tried to photograph as many terrace plaques and date stones as I could before they knocked everything down. Having covered Burnley I then moved on through Pendle. All a bit nerdish but that's life. Haven't bothered with Facebook for years not that it doesn't have any value but the 'discussions' are a bit thin and watery that's why I stick to OG.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"but the 'discussions' are a bit thin and watery that's why I stick to OG"
I like that....
Whoever cut the plaque mustn't have known about the ampersand for his correction.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The ampersand started life as the Latin word 'Et' (and), it was at one time the 27th letter of the alphabet. People of the older generation will know all about it. Who would have thought that all that Latin they tried to drum into me, and failed miserably, would come in useful now? :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suspect that your brain works like mine Ken. The most surprising thoughts at times are a result of Velcro memory of things long past that you never imagined would be of any use and yet our brains knew better and preserved them. Why else would I have chiselled in my brain 'pons asinorum'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”