POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Good posts and I mostly agree. Not sure about the Red Cross boats though. I see migrants who make it to our shores rather like the Kinder Transports. Only difference then was that the cause of the migration was in Continental Europe not in 'Far away countries we know nothing about'. To me it smacks of racism but I suppose I'll get into trouble for saying that. Blair's 'tens of thousands' from Eastern Europe didn't seem to harm us. We are talking in hundreds here and they are mostly deserving cases despite the Trumpian rumblings on the far right about 'economic migrants' and 'criminals'. What happened to compassion and humanity?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

It all points to the absurdity of the statement 'take control of our borders'. Once these boats are in the Channel or potentially landing on our shores the problem is ours we can't put the responsibility for looking after them on the French. As far as boats leaving the French shore its a bit like the line from Tom Lehrer's song 'Wernher Von Braun' ""Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department" say Wernher von Braun".
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 03:31 We are talking in hundreds here and they are mostly deserving cases despite the Trumpian rumblings on the far right about 'economic migrants' and 'criminals'. What happened to compassion and humanity?
Yes, but we already have a population density 2.5 times that of France and the migrants could be accommodated more readily and safely in France than here.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Keep an eye on this...
`Republicans against Trump: 'We will not make the same mistake this November' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to disagree Peter but we have to do better than invoke the numbers game as a justification for ignoring the plight of suffering humans. What happens when the million plus refugees in Lebanon who we have cheerfully accepted for years realises that they are in danger again. It's the obvious next target for the smugglers.
See THIS BBC account of our reaction.
Note "Home Secretary Priti Patel has appointed Dan O'Mahoney as the UK's Clandestine Channel Threat Commander. He will work to make the Channel route "unviable" for small boat crossings. The Home Office said Mr O'Mahoney, director of the Joint Maritime Security Centre since 2019 and a former Royal Marine, will seek "tougher action in France, including stronger enforcement measures and adopting interceptions at sea and the direct return of boats". "
Who on earth thought up that job title and appointment? It smacks of panic and sends completely the wrong message to the French, how is this going to help any 'negotiations'? Typical knee-jerk reaction to a perceived threat.
History teaches us that chaos breeds population movement. There is no shortage of chaos in the world today by reason of man-made instability both political and natural. The migrants, fleeing impossible conditions are going to increase exponentially. All part of our glorious stewardship of the planet. Sending in the hard men is not an answer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Do I smell a dead cat on the table? Is the UK really sinking under the rising tide of Illegal immigrants? Have we reached a crisis point where we are full to the brim and can't take any more? Here we are suffering from the mismanagement of the covid pandemic with potentially thousands of jobs being lost to the downturn, on the brink of leaving the EU with no visible trade plan that won't drop us deeper into the mire and the main topic is ' 26 illegal immigrants land on Kent beaches'. Lets get our priorities right, forget the odd mosquito when we have to drain the swamp. or to quote Clinton. "its the economy stupid'.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If we take a step back and look at the migrant issue we can see that the real answer is to remove the reasons for mass migration at source. Much of this is due to war and famine in the countries of origin and it's going to become far worse as climate change makes many such regions uninhabitable. We have to attend to those problems or we'll never reduce migration and we'll end up with Britain being end to end tarmac and concrete.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Retired Admiral, Lord West said yesterday - "there are hundreds of millions of people in Africa and Asia who would prefer to live in Europe". Can someone suggest how many of them should be invited to live here? How would that number be determined, and when that number is achieved - what should be done to stop more?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree David, there is definitely a smell of misdirection about the 'migrant Crisis'.
Peter, that's the point I was making, Cnut couldn't stop the tide, we can't stop this tide only try to deal more efficiently with the causes.
David, the noble Lord is correct but I'd suggest that it isn't as simple as that. They are all looking for something better than the hell holes they are in. If there is an answer it is to look at what made them hell holes and try to do something about it. X hundred thousand years ago something similar forced the migration of all our ancestors out of Africa. The same thing might be happening again. To quote Desiderata (Which I loathe!) 'Perhaps the world is unfolding as it should'. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Just think about the migrations that took place during the last million years due to the Ice Ages. Humans were in Britain during most of the warm interstadial periods but were slowly forced out each time the ice fields came south. They were Neanderthals until the last interstadial during which Homo sapiens came here instead. Those migrations were gradual but our present rate of climate change is more sudden.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The focus of misdirection shifts to education. Once again it seems that Scotland shows us the way forwards, they announce the scrapping of the computer model, apologise unreservedly and go back to teacher's predictions. Whole situation defused and the empire does not totter.
Here we have the benefit of more 'sophisticated' politics, spokes persons pop up all over the media to say that our algorithms are better than the Scottish model, (no mention of world-beating but you know they are thinking that) and that everything is fine. No change envisaged. That is until the shit hits the fan when the results come out and protests start. Any guesses what will happen then?
Later... small signs that the English government are reacting to the Scottish model. Williamson is saying that appeals will be allowed on computer results if the mock exam results are better. Why make pupils appeal? Far better to do what the Scots have done. Scrap the computer model, a clear cut decision and everyone knows where they stand. This lot don't do simple and clear cut...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

GDP going down the tube big style. 20.4% drop during April-May-June, although in June there was an up tick, hate that word. of 8% but I think we all know that releasing some of the lockdown, shops etc increase the spend but adds little in exports. Clearly the virus pandemic has been the starting gun for this downt turn but the writing has been on the wall for a long time. How many times have we heard that the economy is being supported by credit card spending. Viv Nicholson, spend, spend, spend, it couldn't go on for ever. At some point reality has to be faced that we need jobs that produce things that other people will buy, software, robotics, pharmaceuticals spring to mind. for this you need education to be top class for everyone and not just for those where daddy can pay the premium.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to see Joe Biden has got his running mate sorted but see this for a more worrying development in US politics. It show where the US Republican Party is heading. I've posted on QAnon several times on OG and called it the work of the devil. Note that the article states `The FBI has designated QAnon a potential domestic extremist threat'....
`QAnon supporter Marjorie Taylor Greene wins Georgia Republican primary' LINK
`A US businesswoman who has expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory has won the Republican nomination for a seat in the House of Representatives. Marjorie Taylor Greene is now expected to be elected in November to represent Georgia's heavily conservative 14th congressional district, and become QAnon's first devotee in Congress. It comes amid a social media crackdown on the conspiracy theory...Aside from QAnon, Ms Greene has positioned herself as a strong supporter of Mr Trump and is pro-gun, pro-border wall and anti-abortion..'.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 03:06 The focus of misdirection shifts to education.
Are you saying it has really been done deliberately? Just happenstance I'd say? :smile:

"The UK economy shrank <https://blend.spectator.co.uk/t/j-l-qul ... htztldk-i/> by 20.4% between April and June, the worst fall of any major economy and around twice the declines in Germany and the US. It is Britain’s worst recession on record. "

Worse than this? 1930's

I think not. (yet!)
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In statistical terms I think it really is bigger than the inter war depression David. As for misdirection, of course it was happenstance but it was latched on to immediately as another good vehicle for misdirection·
Rishi Sunak let the cat out of the bag when he said that the reason why our fall is worse than anyone else's is because we run a service economy. Remember Thatcher deciding smoke stack manufacturing was old fashioned and we could do much better with a service economy and 'invisible exports'?
As Newton Pickles said all those years ago;"There aren't enough people making things."
Draw your own conclusions.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As well as a supporter of a sect that the FBI has designated `a potential domestic extremist threat' to the US being elected in a Republican primary we now have Trump doing a take on his `Obama wasn't born in the US claim'. This time it's aimed at Biden's running mate Kamal Harris. The US is turning into a basket case...
`Trump stokes 'birther' theory about Kamala Harris' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid that as far as I am concerned Trump is too ridiculous for words. Surely the US electorate are starting to see through him? I hope so....
We aren't quite that bad but getting very close to it. Never seen as many mistakes and sudden U turns.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We aren't quite that bad but getting very close to it. Never seen as many mistakes and sudden U turns.

In politics they call it plan B or possibly C, D .......Z. Most people would call it PANIC.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Trump's pal runs the US Postal Service and he appears to be slowing down deliveries. Barack Obama has criticised Trump's "attempts to undermine the election", writing on Twitter that the administration was "more concerned with suppressing the vote than suppressing a virus"....
`US 2020: Postal service warns of delays in mail-in vote count' LINK
`The US Postal Service (USPS) has warned that millions of mail-in votes may not arrive in time to be counted on the presidential election day, 3 November. In letters to states across the country last month, the agency said "certain deadlines... are incongruous with the Postal Service's delivery standards". Critics have blamed the new USPS head - a loyal supporter of President Donald Trump - for a slowdown in deliveries..'.

It's worth listening to this Radio 4 episode of `The Crisis Of American Democracy', titled `Unrepresented'. LINK The blurb reads: `In the final part of his examination of American electoral democracy, Ben Wright investigates whether some of its long-cherished structures need refreshing, and asks what might happen at the presidential election in November.'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the reports Peter and I am afraid Obama is right, it's astounding that Trump could even voice the strategy and reason. It shows how far the system has descended into chaos.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Trump is now refusing to let the US Postal Service have the extra money it requires to pay for mail-in voting during the virus crisis. It's time the FBI declared Trump to be the same as they described the QAnon conspiracists - `an extremist threat to the USA'.

Throughout Trump's presidency we've heard criticism from former Democrat presidents Obama and Clinton. I can't recall hearing any criticism from former republican presidents - in fact I can't recall hearing anything about Trump from them. It would be interesting if the BBC could interview them to get their views!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I think it was from a biography on Franklin D Roosevelt, while he was working his way towards the Presidency. " Unless you are a multi millionaire of independent means you don't criticize the people at the top of the Republican Party. They will bankrupt you and your family for the rest of your lives".
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Meanwhile in Westminster.... At 15:30 yesterday Ofqual changed policy to include teacher assessment and eight hours later they cancelled all advice saying new instructions will be issued. Thought to be with one eye on CGSE results next week.
Public Health England is to be scrapped and incorporated in NHS track and trace. Widely criticised and defended by ministers but now just another U turn.
A shambles.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one political matter this morning, universal condemnation from all sides, including the Tory Party, of the Offqual fiasco. This looks like a slam dunk for abandoning the computer model and following Nicola Sturgeon but of course that is the big problem as far as Downing Street is concerned. Scotland is a sore point for many reasons.
Described as a car crash by his own party. Oh dear....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

On Today this morning Justin Webb was trying to pin all the blame for the Ofqual fiasco on Gavin Williamson. He has ultimate responsibility but it's the bosses at Ofqual that have messed up big time and they should be in deep trouble. Ofqual is run by a Chief regulator and a Chairman and we're hearing nothing from them. This makes matters much worse. By not engaging with anyone outside the organisation they are operating in a bubble and not getting any feedback. The two bosses should be made to appear in public and engage with the news media. Ofqual is yet another example of the incompetence we're seeing in our public and private organisations and institutions. What's causing this degradation of competence, I wonder?

Meanwhile in the USA...I keep mentioning the US election because I believe it's outcome is vitally important for all of us worldwide. If Trump gets in again he'll start throwing his weight around even more than we've seen so far and will be on the way to an effective dictatorship. If he's beaten by Biden he'll do everything possible to try and make it an invalid election (and remember he's actually stated that he won't step down). Trump supporters are predominantly the gun-toting tea party Americans and they're going to be angry and creating trouble if he doesn't get elected again. So, it looks like being potentially very serious whatever the outcome.

`Pelosi to recall the House to 'save' the post office' LINK
`In a letter released on Sunday, Ms Pelosi criticised plans by the USPS's new head, Louis DeJoy, which she said would "degrade postal service, delay the mail, and - according to the Postal Service itself - threaten to deny the ability of eligible Americans to cast their votes through the mail in the upcoming elections in a timely fashion". "Lives, livelihoods and the life of our American Democracy are under threat from the president," she added. Ms Pelosi said she would call on House representatives to vote on a new bill to prohibit the USPS from introducing any changes to the service or operations it provided at the beginning of this year in the coming week. A date for the vote has not yet been announced..'.
`President Trump has previously told Fox News he was blocking additional funding for the financially troubled agency, because he opposes mail-in voting. "Now they need that money in order to make the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots," he said. "Now, if we don't make a deal, that means they don't get the money. That means they can't have universal mail-in voting, they just can't have it".'

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”