TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Cathy »

It’s much easier if you have good insulation.
I dream of good insulation and underfloor heating (powered by solar panels, of course), haha
Zzzz... 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CH isn't pampering Maz, it's essential!
Yesterday was too hot but we were saved from the worst by the overcast. Even so when the sun did break through it was powerful. (I wonder if the drop in aerial pollution with the cutting of flights has contributed? It must have.) At 20:00 it was mild and the cloud was breaking. First thing this morning it was clear, calm, dry and mild. Just looked out, we may be gathering some light overcast, hard to make out. The glass is up on 1017mb and rising very slowly. The Forecast is for a sunny dry day. The very light wind is tending to the north and will end up tonight as ENE. It gives us 22C for a high and 12C for a low and later in the day a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather with a hint of thunder on Monday and Tuesday but apart from that dry.
05:40. Back from a short sleeve waistcoat walk, it's that mild. What looks like 100% overcast is actually a dense ground mist and I suspect will burn off as soon as the sun gets up. We could look like a white sea from Wendy's. Jack has had his run free on the Green, given his first delivery and had innumerable pees. He's had his sausage and a drink, has his ball and is feeling no pain. So that's all right.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It might have looked like a sea an hour or so ago, but it's more like a wall now!
20200808_065822.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought so Wendy. Down here it seems to be lifting slightly as the sun gets to work on it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was lovely, hot and sunny but with a refreshing wind. More please! At 20:00 we had a breeze, broken cloud and it was pleasantly cool. This morning first thing still breezy, a thin layer of cloud partly obscured the moon. Still the same but with scattered light cloud moving over. The glass is up slightly on 1019mb. The forecast is for a dry sunny day. The constant easterly wind is moderate giving a high of 21C and a low of 14C with a -3C chill this afternoon. The outlook is similar but warmer and we now have yellow warnings of thunder for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
05:30. A quiet walk on a cool morning with an easterly breeze. We have 100% dark and heavy cloud cover. This looks to me like yesterday's fog and ground mist but not making it to the ground. I expect it to burn off just like yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as good a day yesterday, the overcast persisted all day. At 20:00 it was dry, bright and breezy and still overcast. As far as I could see it was the same this morning but less wind, I have just had a look outside and there is no change. The glass is down slightly on a shade under 1015mb and still falling slowly. The forecast is for a mainly dry bright day but with a warning of possible thunder. The constant light to moderate east wind tends to ENE later and gives a high of 23C and a low of 16C with very little wind chill. The outlook is for warmer weather for the next three days but overcast and more thunder warnings.
We are lucky actually because in the south it has been much warmer and they may pay for it with more violent thunder and local rain.
05:35. A pleasant walk, some clear patches coming in from the east, we saw the moon clearly as we went out but it has retreated again. Calm and quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got warm yesterday afternoon. At 20:00 we had broken cloud and a nice fresh evening. First thing this morning was notable for heavy rain and almost continuous lightning flashes and rumbles of thunder coming in from storms moving north up the Ribble Valley. They are further north now and the thunder and rain have ceased, it's calm now and we have 100% overcast. The glass is down slightly on 1013mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day but with a chance of thunder at almost any time. The wind is a light easterly giving us a high of 26C and a low of 17C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for this hot thundery weather to persist for two more days and then settling down to more normal weather later in the week.
05:40. We've had our walk. Calm, dry, muggy and rain-washed. Very growy indeed. The overcast is 100% but there are some breaks coming in from the East. No sound of thunder, the storms over the hill have moved further North. Now to survive what looks like a very hot muggy day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We had about two hours from a midnight of serious thunder, lightning and bouts of torrential rain, absolutely none stop. Back to sunny skies today, and it’s very warm, you’d think nothing had happened.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same from Burnley right the way up the Ribble Valley Gloria. In Barlick it was just a distant rumble with almost continuous lightning flashes.
Just got up from second sleep and it's too warm, doing as little as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We escaped rain and thunder but it was terribly warm and close. At 20:00 it was calm, warm and we had an overcast sky. Same this morning. The glass is down on 1010mb. The forecast is for a dry day with a lot of sun. The constant east wind is light and gives a high of 28C and a low of 17C with thunder warnings. No wind chill, in fact the forecast says it will feel warmer than the actual temperature. Another day like this tomorrow and then a chance of more normal conditions Friday onwards.
05:40. An unusual walk. For a start, it's 70F in old money which is not normal. So waistcoat and tee shirt only. The sky is mostly clear with a brilliant half moon. It's calm and quiet and I have little doubt that the forecast is right and we will soon have sun and high temperatures. A day for hydration and taking it easy!
Still no lightning on the tracker.
09:00. Just had our second trot on the Green. Very warm morning already, mother nature is enjoying it. You can see the grass growing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ysterday was hotter than ever! At 20:00 it was still warmer outside than in the house , calm and overcast. First thing this morning a few stars visible, calm and mild. Still clear and calm with a brilliant moon and 70F in the back yard. The glass is steady on 1010mb. The forecast is for a clear dry sunny day. The thunderstorm warnings now extend into next week. The constant ENE wind starts light but gains strength later giving a high of 22C and a low of 14C with a -2C chill this afternoon. Looks like a more comfortable day and the outlook give this weather well into next week. This could be summer!
05:25. A first this morning, I walked out of the house with no hat or waistcoat and had a very pleasant cool walk. It's calm, clear and a perfect summer morning. The congregation of rooks on the Green seem to be a regular feature at the moment and sit there chattering to each other until it's time to fly off. A sign of the time is that the street lights were still on after 5AM even though we have a clear sky. The days are drawing in. (134 days until Xmas. :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite the lower temperature yesterday was very close and uncomfortable indoors. The wind helped in the afternoon. At 20:00 it was a pleasant evening for the same reason. First thing this morning it was cool and fresh outside and is the same now. Clear sky with good moon and stars. The glass is almost unaltered, up a shade on 1011mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast morning and full sun later. The constant ENE wind is light and gives a high of 22C and a low of 13C with a -2C chill later as it strengthens slightly. The outlook is for similar weather and the yellow thunder warnings are still in force and last until at least Monday. Very settled weather....
05:20. A much cooler walk, padded waistcoat and a hat this morning! Broken cloud has come in from the NE since I last looked out but still one clear patch giving a sight of the crescent moon. I was bitten on my arm by an insect! Can't remember when that happened last, I have resorted to the TCP, how long have we been doing that? The rooks are noisy this morning, just wakening up and waiting for full light before they fly off for the day. Of late they seem to have become regular roosters in the trees on the Green at night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Refreshing breeze in the afternoon but still close. At 20:00 we had a ligh breeze and broken cloud. Same first thing this morning and if anything the cloud has increased since. 60F in backyard, quite pleasant. The glass is up a touch on 1013mb. The forecast is for a cloudy start brightening during the day to give sunny spells this afternoon. Yellow thunder warning absent this morning. The constant east wind starts light and increases slightly during the day giving a high of 20C and a low of 13C with a -2C wind chill later. The outlook is for temperatures to continue to fall, thunder warnings back tomorrow and Monday. Increasing chance of a shower.
05:20. Back from a short walk. The cloud is broken and ragged in the east, a light breeze and cool but dry.
The subject of interest this morning is that as part of the re-flagging of Town Square the Jubilee Fountain has been cleaned and moved to the space between the two bus shelters at the end of Station Road. I noted that part of the move was the installation of a drain to it. Perhaps it is going to have a water function.
Later. I have shaved my head. Can't think why I left it so long. This ensures cooler wetter weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Regarding the Jubilee Fountain, no water for which it was built for and originally used. Apparently that is to difficult and would be a risk to public health or so is the claim! The conduit in the new foundation is for electrics to make the top light up. So in effect Queen Victoria's Jubilee Drinking Fountain designed for and used by man and beast will remain as a planter with a Narnia light on top. There is a bit of a to do in local FB land about this as most folk would prefer it to remain on the square even if it meant moving it to the back rather than where it turned out to be in the way of some of the regular pet projects of the town council administration.

I did point out that we used to have public drinking fountains in both of our local parks and I had never heard of anyone dying from using them, myself included. :extrawink: Also that the fair city of Roma have over a thousand sundry fountains, taps, troughs, spouts etc. all with water fit to drink, I have sampled them as well without any ills. Nevertheless, running a domestic supply to our variant is a spout too far for our town council. I think Tom Whipp has sacrificed himself as the bloke that had the idea to move it.

While we are tentatively discussing Town Square furniture it is worth noting that the replacement flags are getting a lot of stick. Folk don't like them as they see them as not in keeping with the area. The ones they put down initially have been taken up again. It would seem that the firm doing the job supplied the wrong flags or so the story goes. Folk do like a good argument.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've seen some of the comments in FB land, some relating to the 'heritage' of the town square, all 30 years of it. I believe there was uproar when the Co-op building was demolished and the square initially laid. Was the furore then about the type of flags?

With regard to 'old gormless' that's been fairly mobile over the years, hasn't it?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Originally at the top of Butts but relocated to Letcliffe park as part of an ornamental water feature when the newfangled motor vehicles couldn't seem to negotiate around it. From there down to the square, so it's only moved twice but become a part of the town square and is on all the publicity shots. I have only ever heard David Whipp refer to it as "old gormless" rather than it's proper given name and even he claims n knowledge of where the accolade came from.

Whether it's just because it was in the way as technology moved on I don't know. Seems like it's fallen foul of being in the way again which was the fault of the town council anyway, they decided to put it in what turned into being in the way in the first place! I think the consensus, (from the hundreds commenting anyway) is that it should be moved to the back or one of the corners (out of the way), but remain in the square, but no one was asked for their views.

Running the risk of making a political point. I have no idea how all these plans were decided on as the town council has not had any meetings, since the last one back in February or March. That was when they dissolved further meetings and agreed to put Tom in charge of everything.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My guess is it's a calculated risk just moving it (I could well be wrong). To put it to the population of Barlick would create as many opinions as there is populace, I'm not in a position to see how many objections there are on, I presume, the Barnoldswick Talk FB page but would be interested to know how many have actually put their views across by emailing the Town Council.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Bit late for putting your views in writing to the TC, job was done without any notice to the townsfolk. I think that is part of what is upsetting folk. The re-flagging of the square was announced on FB some time ago but no mention of shifting the fountain until two days ago on the Lib Dems political FB page which masquerades as a community site. It flouts electoral law by not declaring it's political motive, or bearing a suitable imprint. The tag attached to the page is BarlickLiberalCampaigners so why is it a Community Page?

Totally damned now for mentioning this in the wrong thread but the context is here.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had decided it was a cable conduit Ian after my initial question. I too noted the imported flags and I do hope they change them, those artificial looking stone flags were used round the toilets and they are deadly in winter, too smooth. I think the gormless was always seen as being in the way when erecting marquess on the Square.
Yesterday was much cooler and more pleasant but dry and still thunder free. At 20:00 we had broken cloud and there had been a very light shower. Same first thing this morning and once again the flags just damp from a light shower. The glass is back slightly on 1010mb. The forecast is for a mixed day, overcast with possible showers and sunny spells. The constant ENE wind is moderate all day and gives us a high of 16C and a low of 14C with a -2C chill. The outlook is for similar weather and we have one more day of yellow thunder warnings although we have been very lucky and seen none.
05:35. Back from our walk. Shaving my head worked, much cooler and I have gone back into wearing a shirt! 100% overcast, calm, dry, damp flags from last night's shower and very quiet, only one bloke on a bike this morning. Still looks like settled weather and no signs of the thunder we are warned against.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was much cooler and a lot of very fine mizzle but no heavy rain or thunder. We appear to be having good luck in that respect. at 20:00 overcast cool and a light mizzle. Same first thing this morning but it has now developed into steady significant rain. The glass is down on 1004mb. The forecast is for occasional showers and we still have a yellow warning of thunder. Later today it could brighten and we may see some sunny spells. The constant easterly wind is very light all day giving us a high of 19C and a low of 14C with no wind chill, it's a mild wind. The outlook is for brighter weather and the end of the thunder warnings.
05:30. Back from a wet dark walk, calm but very heavy overcast, not a pleasant morning. Sorry to be so negative but there it is!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The afternoon did brighten yesterday and at 20:00 it was dry with broken cloud and a light breeze. Same first thing this morning and so far it hasn't changed. We have had our walk and it's dry, calm and plenty of clear spells in the east which is at odds with the forecast which gives rain until the afternoon. The glass is down again on 1000mb. The moderate wind starts in the South and ends up in the SW and is moderate all day giving a high of 17C and a low of 13C with a -2C wind chill all day. Nothing in the outlook beyond similar moderate weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The morning rain gave way to sunny intervals and a pleasant afternoon. First thing this morning it was calm and dry with broken overcast. I've been for my morning walk and the easterly air flow is bring clearer patches in. The glass is steady on 1000mb. The forecast gives and overcast morning and a showery afternoon. The constant ESE wind is mild and will become moderate later giving a high of 19C and a low of 14C with a barely noticeable wind chill. The outlook is for similar but brighter weather for the next five days. Quiet weather, not high summer but very acceptable and good growing weather. We have much to be thankful for.
Later, the forecasters are warning us of Storm Ellen moving in from the Atlantic. Wind may be a feature of the weather. We shall just have to wait and see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a damp afternoon and at 20:00 rain was coming on the west wind and I think continued most of the night. First thing this morning we had light rain with scattered cloud on a west wind. By the time I went for my early walk it was dry, clear skies and a warm breeze. The glass is down with a bump to 992mb but is rising again. The forecast is for a dry sunny day. Something funny happened about 'Storm Ellen', no sign of 'damaging wind', perhaps we have a west coast forecast and east coast reality. The constant southerly wind is moderate and not as gusty as forecast and gives us a high of 21C and a low of 15C, I don't think the forecast figures for wind chill are anywhere near accurate for our local forecast. The outlook is for bright, slightly cooler weather with some occasional showers. There's a wind warning for tomorrow but I think we can ignore that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The forecaster on the Beeb after the 6 o'clock news yesterday evening gave dire warnings for gales across the whole of the North West coming in by 5 o'clock this morning and lasting through Friday, which came as a surprise as I had been keeping an eye on today's forecast which was for bright sunshine and a fresh breeze, with high wind on Friday. I was so confused that I immediately checked back on the BBC website which remained the same with sunshine for today and the threat of high winds for tomorrow lessened. Strange.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's down to us being on the boundary between the Yorkshire forecast and that for Lancashire Wendy. The storm seems to have been largely out to the west. All we need to know is it's not windy and the sun is shining!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”