GOOD TV

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: GOOD TV

Post by PanBiker »

I have not had a problem with YouTube either and I watch it through the Humax box. Did notice that I couldn't get the BBC iPlayer to stream though this last week.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 10:16 I have not had a problem with YouTube either and I watch it through the Humax box.
I get a redirect to Youtube.com and then a selection of blank grey boxes. Humax HDR 1100S. Others have reported it on the Humax forums as being intermittent.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, It's doing the same now. I watched the live TC meeting on it on Thursday though. I will try casting from my mobile, see if that works.

A bit later... No, still redirects to YouTube.com then fails to connect.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 14:43 Yes, It's doing the same now. I watched the live TC meeting on it on Thursday though. I will try casting from my mobile, see if that works.

A bit later... No, still redirects to YouTube.com then fails to connect.
Word on the street is it's a Humax server issue. The boxes don't connect directly to Youtube, content goes through Humax servers first. It should cast from your mobile OK. Mine does :-)

I have the laptop plugged in via HDMI as well.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the Humax boxes. I haven't even tried it, just doing what I want to via the TV.
On another matter, my Samsung sound bar went AWOL two days ago. I reverted to the TV speakers and haven't had any problem. Perhaps I never needed the sound bar in the first place! If anyone wants to have it and have a play they are welcome. I shall not be missing it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 02:47 On another matter, my Samsung sound bar went AWOL two days ago. I reverted to the TV speakers and haven't had any problem. Perhaps I never needed the sound bar in the first place! If anyone wants to have it and have a play they are welcome. I shall not be missing it.
I've found the sound quality, from my TV speakers, is pretty poor. As TVs have got thinner there's less room to fit speakers in them resulting in less bass response. I currently use a Sony 5.1 surround system, it's quite old but the sound is good.

Your sound bar issue could be something simple, does it use a wired connection from the TV?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I watched a programme about Hawaii last evening. Fascinating place especially after reading the eponymous book by James A Michener Hawaii a long time ago, and being impressed with his history of the island. The TV programme described the unique geological development of the islands and the consequent change from volcanic outcrops to fully fledged tropical jungles, and then back again. Seems each island is thrown up then, moves to the North East and another takes its place.

All the vegetation and wildlife such as birds and insects were blown in over a long time (millions of years), from long distances, and then developed in isolation 2000 miles from anywhere. Interesting to note how new species developed there. It was said that there are now fifty separate species of honey vine creeper (birds), and fruit flies have evolved into over a thousand species. I contrasted that with the sight of Prince George asking Sir Sir (sic) David Attenborough what would the next creature to become extinct. He didn't mention how many 'new' species are evolving.

The biggest threat to native insect life was said to be a glut of chameleons, brought to the islands as pets, which escaped to the wild, and free from predators, have free reign over the local insects, and are doing a good job of eating them all.

The process seems of evolution to be quicker than we thought. I read that humans are now being born with no molar teeth, and an extra artery in their arms. Quite what effect that will have long term, I've no idea. :smile:

Good night on the tele - it was followed by Commissario Montalbano. (who looked a lot older than usual) - aren't we all? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Kev. All the right lights come on but no sound comes out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 13:17 Yes Kev. All the right lights come on but no sound comes out.
Take the audio plug from your TV and 'short' it with your finger and thumb. See if the sound bar 'buzzes'. That should identify whether it's the sound from your TV or the soundbar itself...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes that's a quick test to see if the audio amplifier is working. You might not hear anything if you have a problem on the output side of the amplifier though. Only use the capacitive effect of your fingers, don't try it with a direct short like a screwdriver or anything. You should hear a "plop" or hum when you use your fingers on the input jack connector. If you have a volume on the sound bar wind it up a bit.

See what that test does then report back. I can have a look if it needs a bit further fault finding.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

9pm tomorrow night on BBC1 Who Do You Think You Are, I really enjoy those.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gloria wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 17:42 9pm tomorrow night on BBC1 Who Do You Think You Are, I really enjoy those.
There have been some really good episodes, fascinating stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Binge watched the Strike four parter, I must pick up some of the books I reckon they could be a good read.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Lads. I did what you suggested, all the lights come on on the bar but nothing when I short the jack plug even with sound bar turned up. Not a peep or a plop!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A job for Ian and some gadgets then I reckon...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: No rush I am managing quite well without it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Watched the third of six “ Life” last night on BBC1 9pm, worth a catch up.
Gloria
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What did you think of Who Do You Think You Are on Monday Gloria?
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendyf wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 07:49 What did you think of Who Do You Think You Are on Monday Gloria?
Not a great deal really, they seemed to do a lot of showing Emley Mast than actually dealing with her ancestors. I think they were scraping the barrel trying to find something.
Gloria
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

True, and making the most of her Yorkshire accent! I thought it was sloppy in that she was allowed to jump to conclusions, certainly about her Gt Uncle John Walter.
It was terrible that he was left with grandparents while his unmarried mum was working elsewhere....nothing unusual there, I come across it regularly. The chap his mother had been working for was probably the father....To many tv dramas?
How heroic he was to volunteer in WW1 at 21..... no mention that he was risking the white feather treatment if he didnt!
He was buried beside his mum and had a headstone so they must have loved him...no mention that it was a later CWGC headstone.
Lets hope the next one is better!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I thought the headstone looked pretty new, it certainly hadn’t been there for years. It could have been interesting to find out who had arranged the placing of it.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

CWGC will place a headstone on any service personnel who die in the UK as they do for combatants who fall on foreign soil. On proof of burial plot at Gill Church Cemetery of an unmarked plot for Wifred Anker who died as a result of the effects of gas after medical discharge back to the UK. CWGC had no problem in providing a headstone for him and that was 96 years after his burial. It should also be mentioned that many original CWGC headstones from all conflicts since and including WWI are in exceptionally good condition even after 100 years.

Gnr Wilfred Anker - In from the Cold
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Interesting Ian, I didn’t know that.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Neither did I Gloria. Does that mean I can have one for National Service Ian? (Not that I want one, my ashes will end up in Bancroft boiler fire if they are still in operation!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here we go a kind of altruism on a multi-national scale.

Who we are - CWGC
Ian

Return to “TV”