WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 12:24
Whyperion wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 12:09 Can someone please tell the half wearing mask wearers that not over the nose negates just about all the effort of putting a mask on. - and probably explains part of the continued rise in covid cases across europe despite the adverts.
Flogging a dead horse there, they're either too selfish, to be concerned about the health of others, or just thick.
I think it comes from watching too many hospital dramas with the use of pulling down a mask, rather than properly removing it, after a medical procedure, also happened in UK hospitals with medical staff walking around like that, seems odd because if they had been with someone with a disease that could enter the body via mouth or nose then would not any odd particles be external to the mast and risk breathing in , or if protecting patients from otherwise their own internal beguine bugs then it sort of makes sense - the idea was to prevent wound and invasive infections and until recently the air to air spread of viruses etc has somewhat been thought of as one of the things of life, without a plan to attempt to elminate them ( mostly because cost to benefit thought to be too high ?). That the NHS had dated unused mask stocks in storage for the rainy day seems wrong too, I would have expected a large buffer stock, but for rotation an inflow of new as well as the using of the earlier purchases, it seems the logistics were wrong.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 12:20 So is the presence effectively the bleach up the nose that Trump was thinking of, and it is acting on the outside of the viral cell to break it up.
also what is in those vicks' sprays that are used to relieve cold symptoms, and was any of this discovered at the one time common cold research centre?
I was told that in Colne's swimming pools the chlorine and other added chemicals had been adjusted up to maximum permitted levels. My hair has taken on a definite blond tint instead of its usual glossy shiny black. Gradually turning into an albino.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 12:37
Whyperion wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 12:20 So is the presence effectively the bleach up the nose that Trump was thinking of, and it is acting on the outside of the viral cell to break it up.
also what is in those vicks' sprays that are used to relieve cold symptoms, and was any of this discovered at the one time common cold research centre?
I was told that in Colne's swimming pools the chlorine and other added chemicals had been adjusted up to maximum permitted levels. My hair has taken on a definite blond tint instead of its usual glossy shiny black. Gradually turning into an albino.
Maybe for the Forgotten Corners or Flatley Dryer but what were those chemicals one would inhale taking Vapours in Spa towns particulary ? (and over the tar burner?)
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

From BBC Website
"According to the Sun newspaper, which first reported the story, Prince William, 38, kept his diagnosis private to avoid alarming the nation."

I suppose the only worry we would have had was covid being fatal to the royal family members would have been if we ended up with Andy as the Monarch.

Really, does the majority of the nation really worry about the figurehead monarch, ok an excuse to get out and wave flags and do mass mourning for the good looking or long-lived grandma ones but beyond that, its only the fear of (life) President Johnson that keeps the monarch institution in place.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That'll suit you Ken!
Susan and Mick turned up and two hours later the old base was delivered to the tip (Long queue), my duvet covers had been changed for me :biggrin2: , and all was vacuumed up. Just the hall way to vacuum this morning. Wonderful service and the new base is a complete success.
My support bubble gets ten out of ten!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This story, from early October, about the letter calling for herd immunity (not sure why I'm only just aware of it). The letter, allegedly signed by scientists and medical professionals contained a number of false signatories, Dr Johnny Bananas for example...
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... r-12099947
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bodge, we both know how much it costs to refurbish and maintain steam engines like that. With prices how they are now it doesn't take long to rack up a million!
Kev, I knew about the Barrington Declaration and also about the fake signatures, I seem to remember Peter finding one called 'Cominic Dummings'. So on one level it is being rubbished but on another the concept of allowing infection in young people is being advocated despite the fact that if more young people catch it many will pass it on to older people, say inside their family.
I think I'd rather stay away from all students!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 07:12 This story, from early October, about the letter calling for herd immunity (not sure why I'm only just aware of it). The letter, allegedly signed by scientists and medical professionals contained a number of false signatories, Dr Johnny Bananas for example...
I did flag it up at the time Kev and noted that another of the false names was Cominic Dummings which is why you might have seen it used several times since on OG. :smile:
If you look back in this thread you'll see I explained and gave a link to a detailed paper on the development. Sphingosine binds to the ACE-2 receptor on the nasal cells thus preventing access by the virus which uses that receptor to gain entry.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 10:36
Big Kev wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 07:12 This story, from early October, about the letter calling for herd immunity (not sure why I'm only just aware of it). The letter, allegedly signed by scientists and medical professionals contained a number of false signatories, Dr Johnny Bananas for example...
I did flag it up at the time Kev and noted that another of the false names was Cominic Dummings which is why you might have seen it used several times since on OG. :smile:
It did ring a bell, just couldn't remember where I'd seen it :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I found this on the Barlick Town Council Facebook page regarding arrangements for Remembrance Sunday this year. I have copied the text as I know some folk seem to have an aversion to using Facebook.

"Barnoldswick Remembrance Sunday Commemoration 8th November 2020
Owing to the stringent restrictions still currently applicable in Pendle, Barnoldswick Town Council has consulted with surrounding councils and the decision has been made to host Remembrance entirely online for the first time ever.
We understand this will disappoint many, but our online event will enable Barlickers from around the world to feel part of Barnoldswick’s Remembrance Sunday for the first time, no matter where they are. Our virtual commemoration will remain online for those who cannot join us at the appointed time too. In this year of coronavirus, safety has to be at the forefront of all our events.
Barnoldswick’s commemoration will be online from 10.50am on Remembrance Sunday, 8th November, and will be available on the Town Council YouTube Channel or via the Council’s social media. The Town Council is asking that people do not attend the town’s War Memorial."

You can see comments regarding this if you visit the FB page. It is also confirmed that there will be a maroon at 11am on the 11th.

Barnoldswick Town Council Facebook Page
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 10:36
If you look back in this thread you'll see I explained and gave a link to a detailed paper on the development. Sphingosine binds to the ACE-2 receptor on the nasal cells thus preventing access by the virus which uses that receptor to gain entry.
I followed some other searches and got lost in the science of what and how it was working with bacterialogical infections, it was not clear if it was breaking up , in cell or between cells, the infectious agent, from within the bacteria or preventing bacterial access into the cells, Rather interesting 'N' electricals science and electrical salts it would seem (when does electrical signalling become protein chains and chain clipping ? ). Does the product itself have any side effects within the body (at cell level or is the need for ACE-2 receptors in normal healthy bodies needed to maintain some kind of cell function ? - copy over to medical thread to answer ).
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Bodger wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 06:41 Money in steam https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-54735107
I suppose in 1950 £50 was quite a bit.
I found in a local to mum online photo collection a council steam roller still in use in the mid 1960s. I am not certain when they went over to Diesel generally.
Interestingly, unless it is a trade of dealing in such items, the sale value does not necessarily attract tax (income tax). Capital gains tax is only due if Capital Allowances could have ( have been the HMRC is a touch unclear), been claimed (by the vendor? and not subsequent owners ? - its a little obtuse again), claimed, and I cannot recall for local authorities if they could have claimed capital allowances (that was a bank/ milk marketing board wheeze on leasing plant and machinery - which included the road tankers - the MMB was never allowed to make profits,(but normally had to make an interest payment to the treasury on loans from Govt ) (though it had to break even, as the profits on the mill were due to the farmers on the milk sales via a convoluted shares to quantity prices), and hence had no profits to offset against capital allowances - which were sometimes at more than 100% of the capital cost. So banks which had profits would buy the items and create a finance lease which they got the profits on and the capital allowances adjusted for corporation tax was reflected in the lease payments with the allowance split between the bank and the MMB - I assume other 'non-trading' govt entities did much the same thing. The banks also would have subsidiaries with different year ends to defer the payment of their tax efficiently - at one time corporation tax was due a year company year end taken up to the end of March following ( that had been cut back over time and only applied to companies formed before a certain date - some of the banks were quite old - Samuel Montagu for one (acquired whenever by the Midland/HSBC) - so could have been close to 23 months away. Strangely it was Nigel Lawson that started to put an end to this ( Major as chancellor had dropped the rate of CT and the allowances and it was me that had to calculate for the 1000 odd leases (vehicles were bundled into orders of 20 or so and the main leases by value were for the s/h acquisition of Unigate Plant when they decided to get out of the milk processing business) the beneficial change (or otherwise), of the dropping of the rate of CT. Thankfully having done that I moved on to other things, as firstly the rules for Capital Allowances changed again which mainly affected new ones as both the timing of due corporation tax was moved to standardise nine months after company year end, and finance leases no longer counted as allowable to non- trading companies like financial institutions.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, that sounds sensible. One thing that's always puzzled me, where is the maroon fired from?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It used to be from the raised flower beds on the Town Square but the last few have been done on the Town Green.

This years arrangements will not suit everyone of course. A lot of older folk may not have access to the internet and YouTube etc.

Poppy shop is open (for now) on Frank Street. I collected the wreath I will be laying and my usual posy for my Mum and Dad.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Whyperion wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 11:37 Does the product itself have any side effects within the body (at cell level or is the need for ACE-2 receptors in normal healthy bodies needed to maintain some kind of cell function ? - copy over to medical thread to answer ).
As I wrote earlier (do keep up! :smile: ) sphingosine is an important component of cells throughout our bodies. I assume spraying it in one's nose to block the ACE-2 receptors may affect the sense of taste and smell because that's probably also why when the virus binds to the receptors the same thing happens - taste and smell affected.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Ian.
I think Kev was right about the man with the trees and Xmas lights. There was a lot of activity later in the marquee.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Just seen this pop up in the last minute on BBC News web site. Nothing more but by the time you look at the page it might have more information...
`UK terrorism threat level raised to severe' LINK
`UK terrorism threat level raised to severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.'
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Don't know how this came to be on my local gumtree - more appropriate on yours :smile:

Kelbrook
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's more than most of my transport cost! I remember a conversation I had with a friend of mine who worked for Jaguar and got a top of the range car every year as his company car. I pointed out to him that a set of tyres for his motor cost way more than my Yellow Shed did!

Today my attention will be held by the US election. I'll be glad when we get some certainty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It begins to look as though the Xmas lights are not going to be organised this year with a major switch on event. The new Xmas trees that are being distributed at the moment are all lit as are the conical emitters in the Town Square. The emitters of the lamp posts on Skipton Road are as yet unlit.
The other thing that I notice is that I have no problems with fireworks this year as I don't have a dog that can be affected. This doesn't mean I have forgotten those that are terrified at this time of year and I hope for their sake that there are fewer this year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 05:58 It begins to look as though the Xmas lights are not going to be organised this year with a major switch on event.
The Town Council have said as much.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 10:06
Stanley wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 05:58 It begins to look as though the Xmas lights are not going to be organised this year with a major switch on event.
The Town Council have said as much.
Can they put them on gradually using a dimmer switch.
I never know when to start thinking of christmas. After All Saint's Day (Old celebration, but not as old as Oct 31st change of seasons activities), After Nov 5th (OK Gunpowder rebellions in the C17th, but the bonfires to warm up the sun goes back a long time), Nov 11th ( a date that would have never been though of until 1918/1919 , seems disrespectful of sacrifice (or stupidity) to have lights and tinsel up before the poppy of remembrance comes off, and its a good date thereafter to post the christmas cards to the relatives in Aus and New Zealand and I will probably get all the others posted off as well as I have no idea if the recipients or myself will even make it through to Christmas (got the grandchildren's advent calendars too)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Whyperion wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 10:39 Can they put them on gradually using a dimmer switch.
I like that idea, a more gentle approach to Christmas, more appropriate for our subdued pandemic times and with so many people ill or who have lost loved ones.

I wonder what happens about Black Friday sales now we're in lockdown? Obviously it will be an online Black Friday and it will favour the likes of Amazon. Even more profit for Jeff Bezos!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Spooky. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 4Kw dimmer controller from E-bay (china) cost about £4 but needed a box to put it in. Its intended use was to take the kick out of the hand held tools that didn't have a built in slow start. Works quite well on lights that will accept a dimmer control. A larger ready to used unit would cost less than £20.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”